Working for Hunting Permission

sataro

Forum Supporter
My mother-in-law called me today. Wanted me to come fix her computer. Blank screen & nothing would show up on her screen when she hit the keyboard. I told her to power everything off & then turn everything back on. She called me back an hour later. Still would not work. Told me she would pay me to drive over & fix it for her. Told her I would come over & look at it after my wife got off work.

Went over to her house & looked at it. Problem was she never powered anything down. Computer was in frozen state. Turned the power strip off & then back on. Computer works fine now that it has been restarted...

Payment time...she starts digging in her purse. I told her I was going to charge her but she would not need to dig in her purse. All I wanted for payment was permission for myself & my hunting buddy to search around their house...
I've been waiting for a good time to ask her husband for permission to hunt their yard. Permission granted...

Now the best part is their house is located down a long gravel driveway. Their yard is very large. There use to be five houses sitting on their property dating back to the 20/30's...

Rained earlier in the week, so ground is soft. Hunt planned tomorrow morning.

Whoo hoo! We'll be waiting for the pictures. Good luck!

Good luck. I get to hunt 2 yards this morning. One house is 98 years old and the other is 100 years old. In a well to do neighborhood too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But why the reluctance to ask for permission? Believe me, I ask EVERYBODY, especially family. I have no shame. If a friend is selling their house, I ask. When they buy a new house, I ask. This may be why I no longer have any friends and I'm no longer invited to family reunions, but who cares?

If you don't ask, you never hear "Yes!". But I like your technique. :yes:

Good luck. I get to hunt 2 yards this morning. One house is 98 years old and the other is 100 years old. In a well to do neighborhood too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But why the reluctance to ask for permission? Believe me, I ask EVERYBODY, especially family. I have no shame. If a friend is selling their house, I ask. When they buy a new house, I ask. This may be why I no longer have any friends and I'm no longer invited to family reunions, but who cares?

Family, friends, and neighbors are an easy YES. Tough for them to say no, if you help out, do favors for them. Good showmanship is also a good way in for their friends and neighbors. Don't make a mess, be real clean and careful, and show what you found, everything. Don't clean anything until you get home, most people don't want dirty, won't even touch it. Get them amazed, excited, and it's good PR with their neighbors and friends, who will have similar properties. If you make it fun and enjoyable for them, you'll always get to come back for another hunt. They people who watch from across the street, or hear about it, will get curious and want in on some of that fun, and unique experience. Sure, showing everything, might mean a few people will want some of your treasure, but hey, you got to hunt the property, got to keep most of the stuff, had fun, and will likely get into more places nearby, with similar potential.

People put a lot of time and money into their yards, usually not entirely by choice (city codes, homeowner's associations). Helps keep up the value, and good relations with the neighbors. Number one fear, is you are going to leave a mess for them to clean up. Doing, a good job with the holes, is just part of it, you have to give them a little more, if you want to go back and hunt some more. I know one hunt doesn't get all the good stuff, specially if you are trying not to dig excessively. Did my own yard many times, not too concerned about holes, and still pulled some nice things. You never really know, one property can be mostly trash, the one next door is full of treasure.

The reluctance was more of waiting for a good opportunity to ask. If you knew her husband it would make sense why I waited. This is her third husband. The first two have passed away. He is okay but you have to get to know him. The first Christmas they had together, mother-in-law invited us over for Christmas Eve dinner. My wife is an only child so it was only the two us coming over to their house for Dinner. Before we arrived at 5 pm, he took off to go check on his rent houses. We stayed till nearly 9 pm waiting on him to return. He never returned home until after we left. (He doesn't have that many rent houses to check on. :grin:)
Needless to say, this is not the only time this has happened. So this place was on my to get around to it one day!

Did get a chance to hunt the site some today. Humidity was terrible. Light rain would start & then quit. Trash infested yard. Detector sounded like machine gun going off constantly. No pics...I hate taking pics of my trash. Found two memorials and one clad dime. Hunting buddy found one clad dime. We each brought home a nice bag full of trash.

Will be returning later to dig/clean trash out of yard & keep searching for those elusive old coins. Know they are there, just got to put the time in to find them.

This is too funny.....

Back
Top Bottom