Oh how I love these rocks

Mr Mud

My summer is starting out well this year. I have been having good luck arrowhead hunting and metal detecting this summer. Found this little guy yesterday. This makes number 4 that I have pulled off this hill. They are hard to find but it is sure exciting when you do find one. I always wonder what the man who made these looked like? This weekend I'm headed to the hills to give bottle digging a try. I hope to have some luck there as well.

Attachments

• 20190611_194151.jpg
    20190611_194151.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 20190611_194309.jpg
    20190611_194309.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 498
That's a beauty. I would do a backflip if I found one. I've spent thousands of hours hiking as an adult and playing in the woods and creeks as a kid in Kentucky. I've never spotted an arrowhead. I've thought about using some of my detecting time this summer to go arrowhead hunting instead. (I don't do as much detecting in the summer anyway.)

It looks like the ones I made when I was in 7th grade, from obsidian and/or white tail antler.

I’m sure that one’s legit.

It is as ligit as it gets. Where I found this point and three others was a well used summer camping area used by the Ute Indians here in Colorado. I do not sell any points I find. The ones I have found are nice but have no real monetary value. There value is in the nice day I spent with my wife arrowhead hunting.

My summer is starting out well this year. I have been having good luck arrowhead hunting and metal detecting this summer. Found this little guy yesterday. This makes number 4 that I have pulled off this hill. They are hard to find but it is sure exciting when you do find one. I always wonder what the man who made these looked like? This weekend I'm headed to the hills to give bottle digging a try. I hope to have some luck there as well.

Hey, that looks a lot like Hixton sugar quartz. That's a silicified sandstone that's been mined from one location by Hixton Wisconsin for centuries. It's been known to show up all over the country due to travel and trade. It would be very interesting if you could confirm that it's been found in Colorado. Here's some examples I have of Hixton sugar quartz:

Attachments

• DSCN0719.jpg
    DSCN0719.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCN0720.jpg
    DSCN0720.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 515
Foragist,

Nice looking artifacts you have there.

The point I posted I would guess it is made of a local quarts. Quarts is quite common around here. I do have points and stones that have been carried and brought in from other geologic areas of the state and country. Probably from trading.

jackdaniels,

Oh yes, Thousands and thousands. A rain storm, wind and erosion will bring them to the surface. I have seen instances when we have searched an area thoroughly and a month latter we find arrowheads in the same location.

Keep looking Down,
Mud

Foragist,

Nice looking artifacts you have there.

The point I posted I would guess it is made of a local quarts. Quarts is quite common around here. I do have points and stones that have been carried and brought in from other geologic areas of the state and country. Probably from trading.
You mean like a quarter gallon of liquid? Or do you mean quartz?

Sweet find! I don't know how the terrain is there - but I would definitely dig some in that area to find what is hidden below the surface. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom