• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Um um good

Thinking you might be a little bit mixed up possibly..

Black Locust is the absolute best fence post material, second place is Cedar..

I've actually found Mulberry in my wood pile to get punky kinda quick, it does make good firewood though..

Those berries in your picture look like they came from a Turkish Mulberry strain, they have elongated berries like those...

<°)))>{

I could be. But not on the American chestnut being supreme. I have seen railing fences made from it last 80 plus years and looked good. Bottom railing near ground degraded somewhat. Never painted. Wish they still existed in large numbers. Few still exist in places.

You including Bois de arc? I hear it will wear out a couple fence post holes or something like that [emoji1]

Osage Orange is what it is called here in Kansas. We had fence posts on our farm over 100 years olf and they were hard as a rock. You couldn't drive a nail in them. You had to look for a crack. The farm was sold about twenty years ago but those fence posts are still there. Cutting live trees will gum up whatever you are using. They used to plant them as windbreaks during the dust bowl.

I found a Mulberry tree in a park while detecting the other day. I was getting hot and thirsty and finding it helped a lot. I love Mulberries. As a boy I used to climb up in a tree and eat until I couldn't eat any more. I had purple stains until they were gone.

Last edited:
Osage Orange is what it is called here in Kansas. We had fence posts on our farm over 100 years olf and they were hard as a rock. You couldn't drive a nail in them. You had to look for a crack. The farm was sold about twenty years ago but those fence posts are still there. Cutting live trees will gum up whatever you are using. They used to plant them as windbreaks during the dust bowl.

I think I read out west they were used as fences to keep cattle in. All the thorns!
I have some here on my farm.
Deer eat the apples and squirrels too especially fox squirrels.
I have also heard the hedge apple wood makes good bows. Wood is stout and has little memory.

We also have Black Walnut trees on our property. I showed my wife how to harvest the nuts one year, but cautioned her to wear thick gloves. She declined my advice. The next day, she had a doctor's appointment, and her hands were as black as coal. I told her to tell the doctor her hands did that when she started taking the medicine he had prescribed. :laughing:
She said she was going to, but chickened out and wore gloves to the doctor.

We also have Black Walnut trees on our property. I showed my wife how to harvest the nuts one year, but cautioned her to wear thick gloves. She declined my advice. The next day, she had a doctor's appointment, and her hands were as black as coal. I told her to tell the doctor her hands did that when she started taking the medicine he had prescribed. :laughing:
She said she was going to, but chickened out and wore gloves to the doctor.

That’s funny.
Nothing like a little walnut stain.

Nothing like a little walnut stain.

I love black walnuts. On our farm we had an old horse drawn wagon with high sides parked under a walnut tree. They fell into it and I would get a couple of bricks to break them open and climb into it and eat until I couldn't eat anymore. My Grandfather said he could hear me but he didn't know where I was.

My neighbors have a mulberry tree in their backyard, there's a flock wild amazon parrots that love munchin on the berries, major beak stains! :lol:

There are several mulberry trees on the property here. My kids and I love them and I even see the deer under the trees eating them. But the down side to them is what a mess they make when the birds deposit the big purple leftovers on cars and everything!

Mulberries are almost ready around here..

Maybe next week they be ready to pick..

<°)))>{

They're coming ripe here now, and the deer have discovered 'em. There's a doe in my backyard right now just chowing!
It's funny watching the birds giving the deer a hard time over eating their berries. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom