Getting more serious about detecting

Splix76

I was asked to introduce myself here once my account was validated.

I'm a hobbyist hunter who has always had a love for history and found that digging up real history was something I could spend hours a day doing and really enjoyed. I also like being out in the world enjoying my day and spending less time in my desk chair.

I have, what I believe, is a solid entry level setup:
Fisher F2 with 8 inch circular coil
Garrett pinpointer (just got for fathers day, what a game changer)
A gray ghost detecting pouch that was an unexpectedly significant improvement
A small plastic brush for clearing dirt from coins without damaging them.

I live in Utah and while there is quite a bit of history here, I am always jealous of those who live on the east coast when it comes to detecting. I plan to hit some ghost towns this summer and hope to find some cool personal effects of the people who settled in these tows before they went under.

Anyone with tips of advice on how to be a better hunter, please share it. I am considering a coil upgrade but will start a post dedicated to that shortly.

I'm a hobbyist hunter who has always had a love for history and found that digging up real history was something I could spend hours a day doing and really enjoyed. I also like being out in the world enjoying my day and spending less time in my desk chair.

I live in Utah and while there is quite a bit of history here, I am always jealous of those who live on the east coast when it comes to detecting. I plan to hit some ghost towns this summer and hope to find some cool personal effects of the people who settled in these tows before they went under.

Anyone with tips of advice on how to be a better hunter, please share it. I am considering a coil upgrade but will start a post dedicated to that shortly.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in Utah too. PM me. I'd like to give you information on our local club and find out what part of Utah you are in.

Welcome to the forum. If you can track down a fellow named "Monte" (who lurks on some md'ing forums), he's been md'ing various Utah ghost towns since the 1960s even. Real nice guy !

... I am always jealous of those who live on the east coast when it comes to detecting....

Nah, don't be fooled. All those large cents, busts, colonial coppers, etc.... are all staged and faked show & tell. The secret has been out for awhile now. It's the same couple of dozen coins that get passed back and forth to each other on the east coast. Look closely , and you'll see that they're all the same coins.

Pretty ingenious when they create the "in-situ" and "live-reveal" type posts & videos. But they're all done on a studio back lot in Florida somewhere.

Trust me: You're better off in Utah, where you can get better odds at the more highly desirable west coast mints: S, D, and CC. :sissyfight:

Welcome from the Mitten.

I too started with the F2 and used that machine for better than 2 years. It is a good entry level unit. I purchased the sniper coil also that works better when working close to big iron such as tot lot equipment and chain link fences. I didn't use it all the time but it was good to have.

The one thing I noticed is you didn't mention headphones. Although the F2 doesn't have proportional audio (the closer, the louder), I made a big difference in hearing the targets. If you don't have headphones, you might want to consider giving them a try.

Welcome and do not be discouraged on where you live. There are many finds in your area just waiting for you. Be sure and use only regular 9 volt batteries in you F2. The high powered or industrial ones will mess it up and it will cut off on you. Get some head phones and go digging!!

Welcome from the Mitten.

I too started with the F2 and used that machine for better than 2 years. It is a good entry level unit. I purchased the sniper coil also that works better when working close to big iron such as tot lot equipment and chain link fences. I didn't use it all the time but it was good to have.

The one thing I noticed is you didn't mention headphones. Although the F2 doesn't have proportional audio (the closer, the louder), I made a big difference in hearing the targets. If you don't have headphones, you might want to consider giving them a try.

I have not even considered headphones, this may be as big an improvement as my pouch was! Thanks for the tip.

F2 is/was a great machine it’s more than capable of finding the goods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up headphones and orders a CORS Scout 12.5" x 8.5" coil, as well as a solid T handle shovel. I think my setup is finally complete. I just need to get some hours out searching to increase my skills.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and solid advice.

I have not even considered headphones, this may be as big an improvement as my pouch was! Thanks for the tip.

I have only tried one time to detect without headphones. You will miss all those subtle barely audible targets unless you have headphones. Deep targets can be just whispers that you will miss due to the environmental noise.

A good set of headphones is a Must Have in my book.

Welcome from Oregon! Don't be jealous of anybody in any area that you're not ..there is stuff for you that they wish they could get their hands on and no matter what you read in some of these posts ...they're not fakers.

Get some headphones... they will help you hear the targets better and also your beeping machine won't be telling the whole neighborhood what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom