$90 bucks for an ACE 250???

This wakes my eyes up. I will buy through a reputable dealer. Earlier, I wanted a MD so badly, that I was thinking of checking pawn shops and craigslist. Now I am not so sure, how do you tell the difference in person?

They are all different. Its very hard to tell sometimes unless you just go use it. Get the serial # and call the manufacturer to be sure.

They are all different. Its very hard to tell sometimes unless you just go use it. Get the serial # and call the manufacturer to be sure.

This is NOT an attack on your advice Bart, but just a heads up to what one of our members has experienced when sending serial number to manufacturer

"I got my first detector about a year ago from a friend of a friend. It was a Whites GMT only a month old and paid only $850 for it. I was so excited to take it on my next trip down south.
first time out on the river and it was very frustrating trying to GB ,it just kept overloading. Very annoying sound. I thought something was up with it and it may be a fake so I emailed Whites the serial number just to check.
They emailed me back and said it was a genuine Whites detector so I read the manual again front to back and couldn't see where I was going wrong. It must just be me:)
Next trip down south and the detector was terrible so I email Whites and they say its a coil problem and send me a new coil free of charge. epic
Two more trips down south and 150hours under my belt without a spec of gold still trying to master the art of my "Whites GMT"
I emailed Whites to try and work out what was wrong with the detector ,ended up sending it back to US for repairs under warranty. I had to pay for shipping there and back, there anyway .
I got a email a month later from Whites telling me it is a counterfeit, cheaply made fake detector and that I should have known .
Whites have kept the counterfeit GMT and will not be sending anything back. They said it was up to me to track down the counterfeiter and get my money back threw the legal system. I cant even track down the guy I got it off ...
They told me in future to buy new only from a dealer. Not second hand ever.
The worst part was that Whites said it was real and I believed them for 100 more hours . Now they do not want anything to do with it.
The end."

Just from this one experience, I am sure there will not be many kiwi's buying into Whites products or customer service .........
Imagine if they had contacted Whites to get confirmation before they actaully purchased it - I would be so pissed, wouldnt you?

Wow that does stink! I feel for that guy/gal! I guess they fakes the serial # as well?

I guess unless your buying from a authorized dealer its best to put your hands on the detector and fully check it out as well as call the manufacturer with he serial #. Cant be to careful with that amount of $.

Your not wrong Bart - these are just some of the issues hobbyists over here face - I have had to establish a US address to purchase items, which IMO seems more dishonest pretending to be american when buying, than someone ordering from overseas -

Honestly I think the US manufacturers are cutting their own throats by NOT allowing enthusiests to buy from already established reputable dealers in the USA - I for one cannot see a problem with it

If I have a local Fisher dealer per say, I could pop down to their store & buy equipment, if I want that option, however if I want expert advice by someone who is NOT brand loyal then I would contact one of the bigger dealers in the USA -

Why make it harder to get the equipment?

I already know Chinese customer support works & honestly, they dont care who they sell to ......

Sorry mate, you have heard it all before - I kinda just panic a little as there is sweet FA we can do about it here in NZ - I wrote a piece a wee while ago referring to getting part for T2, yet the manufacturers of the GF2 (chinese) came through with the needed part, free ......

Back
Top Bottom