The King is going to try.....

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
his Royal Hand at CRHing. Today ordered a $1000 box of halves. Will be in next Wednesday. The bank president and KT sat down and KT explained that He had an idea for a new business enterprise that needed halves in quantity to try it out. KT expects to try a minimum of 3 $1000 half boxes to determine if it is worth the time and effort. At least if anything is found....Will not pass judgement on this until He has sorted through some 6,000 halves to make a decision to continue or try some other denomination like quarters/dimes.

We shall see!

Anyone have any thoughts as to how many boxes should be hunted to get an idea? At least KT can always get his money back out of these! :lol::lol: Only time will be invested. And Prince John is most interested in this activity so that will be a help!

Holy Shnikies!

Wish I could be with you to help sort them out! Make sure you give us pics and details!!

I have done this before and had a great results in the past. Today, it's harder to order, the halves now here. Later I spend the ones I do plan to keep when on trips. It's fun to watch people, when you give them out to pay for anything.

We just tried this for the first time. Got a hundred dollars worth of halfs. Got back home and after going thru all coins noticed two things.

1) All late Kennedys. No Silver
2) They actually shorted us two halfs!

My CR days are over.

We just tried this for the first time. Got a hundred dollars worth of halfs. Got back home and after going thru all coins noticed two things.

1) All late Kennedys. No Silver
2) They actually shorted us two halfs!

My CR days are over.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Patton....but to be honest, KT does not think only 200 halves is a reasonable test .... some other threads have mentioned going through a $1000 worth (2000 coins) and finding 3 to 4...If KT has that result, then He will be happy...

KT decided to do this because of His miserable silver coin total for 2011...only 2...but of course, what should KT expect being a totlot hunter! :lol::lol: So to keep his sense of humor and to try to build a silver coin cache...this seems the easiest way to do it, sitting around the home fire of the Castle, watching some football on the big screen, drinking some nog or grog, and CRHing! Definitely will be more inviting that trying to dig through some frozen wood chips! :laughing::laughing:

Holy Shnikies!

Wish I could be with you to help sort them out! Make sure you give us pics and details!!

I will post some pics and the results in a separate thread in the "What's the Value" section.

Have ordered the first ones and now must just wait until next Thursday to go pick them up!

Plans are to sort them and then take to another branch with a Coin Star machine and return them $100 at a time so as to not raise any eyebrows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Get some glasses, KT. After checking that many you may be cross-eyed when through. "

:lol::lol: KT has worn glasses since He was a Princelet...so no problem there, but He does have a set of Royal Optivisors which should really come in handy!

I don't think you can get a reasonable test from 6k. I've had a 35k skunk streak before and a couple of 5k skunk streaks. It's all going to depend on where you get your supply. My last few boxes have been better than average. I've been hitting 2 silvers (either 40 or 90) out of every 3 boxes.

Test

KT hi!

Welcome to CRH land.

Love your posts in the MD section, by the way...big fan :-)

I advise you get a friendly bank to give you 1000 bucks per week until you can't see straight.

Just do it until you get tired of it. Leave it open.
You might hit a box with 5 Walkers in it your first time...or you might get a dozen skunk boxes in a row. Over the long haul though you will see both ends of the spectrum.
But the long haul is where the payout is. Law of large numbers...slow and steady wins the race. Build it...and they will come...

I have been doing it for a year and a half pretty hardcore now, and I still look forward every day to "doin' my coins".
Be careful to use good ettiquette though. Happy bankers = happy hunters.

I think you will enjoy it...especially when opposed to chiseling pull tabs out of muddy ice..

How is it that you can make a profit off this? If you do find a silver one you can just sell it for a little more right?

What do you do with the ones that aren't silver?

Do you really make that much of a profit?

STAG has got it right. You may hit big you may get skunked. Gotta just keep trying. I've yet to hit anything better than a 90% kennedy but I keep trying. Dont forget to look for proofs as well. I found my first the other day, an 84s.

KT hi!

Welcome to CRH land.

Love your posts in the MD section, by the way...big fan :-)

I advise you get a friendly bank to give you 1000 bucks per week until you can't see straight.

Just do it until you get tired of it. Leave it open.
You might hit a box with 5 Walkers in it your first time...or you might get a dozen skunk boxes in a row. Over the long haul though you will see both ends of the spectrum.
But the long haul is where the payout is. Law of large numbers...slow and steady wins the race. Build it...and they will come...

I have been doing it for a year and a half pretty hardcore now, and I still look forward every day to "doin' my coins".
Be careful to use good ettiquette though. Happy bankers = happy hunters.

I think you will enjoy it...especially when opposed to chiseling pull tabs out of muddy ice..

How is it that you can make a profit off this? If you do find a silver one you can just sell it for a little more right?

What do you do with the ones that aren't silver?

Do you really make that much of a profit?

the little gold and silver store down the street pays 18x the face value on silver coins

quarter 4.50
1/2 dollar 9.00
1 dollar 18.00

i asked when i was having my earrings checked. so if was not a key date, I guess you could make a little bit since your not losing anything to play the game

my husband asked about his dollar that he has been carrying around in wallet for years, he was offered 12.00 for it years ago, now he was offered 18.00 he put back in his wallet they did go up to 20.00 but he had it for a long time he just left it in his wallet 1921 shoot i think i will have to check it again i think it 1921

profit

I don't think anyone could make a living CRHing.
It's fun, but you couldn't live on it...unless you were living in your car perhaps...
Though these days that's not much of a stretch.

the little gold and silver store down the street pays 18x the face value on silver coins

quarter 4.50
1/2 dollar 9.00
1 dollar 18.00

i asked when i was having my earrings checked. so if was not a key date, I guess you could make a little bit since your not losing anything to play the game

my husband asked about his dollar that he has been carrying around in wallet for years, he was offered 12.00 for it years ago, now he was offered 18.00 he put back in his wallet they did go up to 20.00 but he had it for a long time he just left it in his wallet 1921 shoot i think i will have to check it again i think it 1921

The value of that dollar coil should probably be *at least* double what they're offering, if im not mistaken... pcgs.com should give you a better idea on that.

Good luck on your experiment, KT!

I agree with the others that you just never know what you will find. You could get something good on the first try, or you could do it for months with nothing to show. I Coin Roll Hunt for fun and for the last year (up until my last crazy luck) I have only found about 3 90% silver halves and 5 or 6 40% halves.
I seem to have the best luck with nickels. I usually get at least one war nickel per box. The nice thing about getting a silver half is when you get one, it's worth more than a couple bucks.

Good luck KT. Just have fun with it and you might get lucky.

BTW, KT is not planning on trying to make a living doing CRHing...Just another addition to the coin shooting arsenal now that cold weather has dampened some of the hunting enthusiasm in the Palace! LOL

If KT gets anything, it will go into Royal Storage for Prince John. Perhaps can be useful to him should he get married and have some kids to put though college! Just never know. Otherwise when he retires, KT will have told him cash it all out and enjoy what it can buy! Who knows....maybe a great trip somewhere funded by it....????!!!!!?????

Back
Top Bottom