NOX 600 or AT pro

Joe6112

What would be a better buy for an all around general detector the nox 600 or the AT pro? Interested in hearing opinions or advice.

Both good machines,I see you have a t2 classic.That machine is a flat out beast imo,if waterproof isn’t a big deal to you Id keep that over the others.Just my opinion.
Out of the two you mentioned,the equinox is all the rave right now and actually a good machine.Give it a try,you could always resell and lose little if you don’t like it.

Last edited:
Hi,
since you already have two outstanding 13 to 15kHz detectors I can't see getting a third one =ATPro except for the waterproofing and made in the USA. In my opinion ( I've use all three) the T2 and the Vaquero are actually as good or better than the ATPro in many ways.

If you still want waterproofing, the Equinox 600 has everything that the others have (except for threshold based all metal mode which is no big deal) plus wireless capability built in along with great rechargeable batteries and most of all simultaneous multi-frequencies from 5 to 40 kHz and selectable single frequencies of 5 , 10 and 15kHz. I was kind of bummed when I realized that the 600 did not really have a threshold based all metal mode. You sort of get something similar to it on the 800 in the Gold modes. I really haven't missed it however since the multi frequencies make each of the 600's modes when using discrimination or no discrimination plenty deep and pretty easy to quiet down if they get too noisy. The Park and Field modes are the ones I have used the most. I have heard that the beach modes especially beach 2 work well for dry and wet salt water beach hunting with a few tweaks to the sensitivity and ground balance.

good luck
Jeff

I would go with the Equinox.

Comparing single VLF detectors to FBS or the newer Equinox Multi IQ technology is comparing apples to oranges.

Theres no camparison. Minelab was and is still way out in front and a while ago I read an article describing how a well known brand (I wont mention) licensed the simultaneous frequency technology from Minelab.

That being said, The hoover boys do very well with with their Garrett AT Pros.

I just did my first hunt with my Nox. Nox hands down and it’s not even close. The difference is the ability to pick a good target out of a trashy environment. I have one hour in on the Nox. I took it to areas where the AT pro was overwhelmed by trash. The Nox wasn’t.

I took it to areas where the AT pro was overwhelmed by trash.

I hunt colonial cellar holes with my AT Pro and have no trouble picking out the non-ferrous targets that are hiding amongst hundreds of nails. Maybe you should have spent more time learning how to operate the AT Pro correctly...

I hunt colonial cellar holes with my AT Pro and have no trouble picking out the non-ferrous targets that are hiding amongst hundreds of nails. Maybe you should have spent more time learning how to operate the AT Pro correctly...

I had the AT Pro for a long time and I also had trouble with it in thick iron. I can say I learned how to operate it properly but it just didn't "speak my language". Don't get me wrong, it's a fine machine and I found lots of good stuff with it but I got the Nox and I've found it works much better for me, especially in those iron infested sites.

I've seen a lot of AT and Equinox metal detecting videos on youtube, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who own both, but not many videos of hunts where they take them both out and compare over the same targets before digging. A few well done videos would be worth 1000s of words trying to describe how the Equinox is able to signal good targets so much better with very little learning curve.

I've seen a lot of AT and Equinox metal detecting videos on youtube, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who own both, but not many videos of hunts where they take them both out and compare over the same targets before digging. A few well done videos would be worth 1000s of words trying to describe how the Equinox is able to signal good targets so much better with very little learning curve.

Thats the first thing I did with the Nox and my whites machines at my test garden.
Nox was able to pickup a copper penny, jefferson nickle at 7" that my whites could not.
but the Nox did not pickup a quarter at 7" but I have aleady found a couple coins at 7" with it

:facepalm:

I dont blame any particular brand, Its just new technology VS old technology.

:thumbsup:

On saltwater beaches or highly mineralized hot soil a multi frequency machine is best suited,,,but In mild or neutral ground a multi frequency machine will not go deeper than a single frequency machine..Not sure why anyone would think otherwise?
In my Pennsylvania soil the the at pro will hit hard on my 8 inch merc,but not the 10 inch merc..Same with the equinox,not a peep on the 10 inch merc but bangs the 8 inch hard too..
The equinox will out seperate the at pro,(and that leads to more finds).But in my soil depth is splitting hairs between the two machines.

I had the AT Pro for a long time and I also had trouble with it in thick iron. I can say I learned how to operate it properly but it just didn't "speak my language". Don't get me wrong, it's a fine machine and I found lots of good stuff with it but I got the Nox and I've found it works much better for me, especially in those iron infested sites.

My AT PRO hunts better in iron than my Nox 800. The Equinox 800 is real noisy in nails.

I use the AT Pro. In my semi arid climate, Western Montana, both detectors perform equally as the coins are not that deep and there is not a ton of contamination in the areas I hunt. My detecting buddy uses the Nox 600 and we compare signals on occasion, and both machines capably find the target.

Now... if I was going to hunt salt water beaches, or detect in areas where you might need that extra inch or more to find the older coins, then the Equinox would be my choice.

777B34F7-0B75-4ADF-8692-C3947DD38F18.jpegAT Pro is a great machine but I love my Nox. The 600 and the Pro both have 6 hunting programs. The Nox has 18 frequencies to hunt in to try and avoid EMI. The Pro has 4. Beach hunting and black sand, the Nox wins. The recovery speed the Nox wins. Pinpointing, Nox has a better system. Built in Bluetooth capability, Nox wins. I’m a big guy, cordless headphones work better for me. I had to constantly take off headphones to dig targets with the Pro. I haven’t been able to fully compare the Nox and the Pro due to the snow on the ground but I did find this ring on the Nox’s maiden hunt in 8-10” of snow in an area I went over multiple times with the Pro prior to the snow.

I have both the 800 & AT Pro. Both are great detectors and very very close in ability. If I did mostly coin hunting old parks I'd go Nox 600. The way it is I hunt old parks, tot lots for gold and some relic hunting. In my case either would be great. I would sell one to get the other.

I did get the 800 because the added higher frequency I believe helps me out in the tot lot gold and the ability to high in heavy iron I like for my relic hunting. Although I have yet to out it to the relic test.

Again, very very close in ability IMO.

I have the 800 model.
Smokes At Pro for depth oem stock stock to oem stock coil..

You want to hear a funny.
Eqx 800 with smaller 6” coil.
I don’t even think At Pro with stock coil can keep up with EQX 800 depth wise on gold rings, nickels, etc.

EQX 800 is a smoker on lower conductors, nickels. For depth.
In my ground too.
Can actually ID gold rings in my soil past 10” deep accurately.
Give Tone on some of them around a foot deep.

Here’s a video I did that gives clues to how deep Eqx 800 could strike a gold ring or nickel, etc.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjn2VfH7VQc

Here’s three gents experimenting and comparing Deus, at pro and Equinox on undisturbed find in relic field.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YDCin7h630

Nox lights the target up.
The pro seems to call iron.
Target turns out is deeper lower conductor.

One thing I’ll mention. Equinox 600 model speed setting restricted vs Eqx 800. This make sure 800 more capable unit in the bigger scheme of metal detecting.

Last edited:
I talk about a smaller ladies ring and bigger man’s ring above.

Here is actual air test data I put together using Eqx 800 with small 6” coil with the 2 rings.

Let’s see how the Nox and small coil do in airtest on these 2 rings.
One is bigger man’s ring 14k.
The other a woman’s ring 10k.

2gv0eox.jpg

Park 2 tested speed 6. This is equivalent to speed 3 on model 600 EQX.
Noise cancel done.
Sens at 24
Rings were swept with opening of ring facing coil, same plane.
Big ring signaled to distance of 14” approx.
Woman’s ring signaled to a distance of 11.5” approx

Sens at level 20.
Bigger ring signaled to approx 12”
Smaller ring signaled to approx 10”

A pic to show how big the man’s ring is.
bi0808.jpg

Should say the bigger ring.
Gold 1 mode, sens 24, speed 6, threhsold levle 7, i can hear an airtest waiver with ring 18” away from coil.
Not a typo either 18” approx.
With 6” coil.

Sounds crazy, right??
To see a small 6” coil act like it does.
Well, it does.
And in the ground it acts like too. Granted mineral levels will affect. But medium mineralization seems small coil does awfully well depth wise for size.
Prospecting mode on EQX will get one down there even more than park and field modes and you get some extraordinary separation at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom