Dangerous Places Metal Detecting

lem

Just curious if anyone has had experience with dangerous places while metal detecting. Normally I know what areas to avoid, and precautions to take, especially in Panama, its always best here to go out with at least 3 people. Young punks, want to steal your equipment, despite the fact they probably wouldn't know what to do with.

Also in poor countries, you stand out like a sore thumb especially if they think you found money. Theres some great locations here, but wary about our security.

Yea! Be carefull digging! :digginahole:
Some countries still have live mines! and some from WWII could "work" too! I've checked Russian forum - they get tons of that stuff!

I am planning on getting my concealed weapons permit for my protection while i am out and about. I work evenings and sleep days so I have been trying some areas after work (1am). This has my wife and family freaked out but the timing works for me. I do want to go check out old gold mining areas and while i know to stay off claims you never know who will come at you claiming your on their claim even if there is no signage. I would like to have my protection incase they get all crazy. This is in the us so I would say my odds are by far better for safety than yours down there. be safe man

Yea! Be carefull digging! :digginahole:
Some countries still have live mines! and some from WWII could "work" too! I've checked Russian forum - they get tons of that stuff!

Along those lines I've heard stories of their still being live Civil War landmines in the ground. I saw on tv or read one where a man who specialized in disarming Civil War mines was blown up by one that went off at his house.

I am planning on getting my concealed weapons permit for my protection while i am out and about. I work evenings and sleep days so I have been trying some areas after work (1am). This has my wife and family freaked out but the timing works for me. I do want to go check out old gold mining areas and while i know to stay off claims you never know who will come at you claiming your on their claim even if there is no signage. I would like to have my protection incase they get all crazy. This is in the us so I would say my odds are by far better for safety than yours down there. be safe man

Here in Panama, if the drug dealers know you own a gun, they will seek you out, kill you for the gun. Just the other day a security guard at a mini, store, convenience store, was shoot and they took his gun.

When I lived in Maine, many fishermen carried, in the event of coyotes.

It's sad that people have to fear so much for their safety outside. Couldn't imagine living in such a place where everyone coming to talk to you is a potential thief eyeballing your MD. More so I'm saddened that even regular people need to carry guns around so badly.

As for myself, I've never felt threatened by people. Some drunks have come up to me asking the regular things, giving tips etc, and when they finally come to asking how much my detector cost, they leave shaking their heads as they realize they'd have to be sober for too long in order to save up enough money. :grin: All in all, people here like to keep to themselves a lot unless they REALLY want to ask something. If someone comes face to face asking about stuff, they're most likely not after my MD. A quiet stalker might be another case, waiting for a chance to hit n run.

As for real danger, the most serious thing I've dug up was a pipebomb-ish thingie that looked like something some kids might've built in a garage. Dunno how it had detonator wires coming out of it, since your regular kids next door would have no chance getting their hands on any. Called the cops, kept people from walking by to it and had an army bomb squad take it away. Never heard from it again.

I do have a fair chance to dig up WWII soviet bombs and civil war artillery shells, too. I just hope I don't have to...

Edit: oh yeah, bears are stocking up for winter, too! Gotta keep my heads up while in the woods.

Here in Panama, if the drug dealers know you own a gun, they will seek you out, kill you for the gun. Just the other day a security guard at a mini, store, convenience store, was shoot and they took his gun.

When I lived in Maine, many fishermen carried, in the event of coyotes.

Stealing my gun would be a big concern of mine too if they could see it, since we get down on the ground on our knees so much, and are consumed in focusing. I doubt very much that a CCW holder, down digging a hole, would be able to fend off very many thugs when rushed. A gun might get you robbed quicker IMO. martin

More so I'm saddened that even regular people need to carry guns around so badly.

Not everyone that carries a pistol cause they live in a bad area. I carry because although my area is not the greatest, I feel it is my duty to protect my family and myself from danger. I never really thought of carry till I had to use the 911 emergency system here in the U.S. Some guy left his kids in the car at the junkyard on a 100 deg f day. The oldest was probably around 4, the youngest was in a handled baby seat, and 2 in between. I was on hold for roughly 20 mins and was bounced between different phone operators for another 20. Finally 40 mins after dealing with 911 I stood there watching the kids for another 25 mins till the cop showed up. Those kids were in that car for an hour that I knew as I stood there keeping an eye on there health.

What is my point? If it going to take the emergency system here that long to react I think I am better off on my own. I do not cowboy my pistol and it fits nicely in my pocket and no one is the wiser. Only people that know I carry are the people that know me. I am licensed to carry.

i just bring this..... :gunbandanna:

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 725
man...cant say im envious of you iving in Panama! damn! thats SCARY!

Honestly, the scariest thing I can think of here in Massachusetts is to possibly step on a hypodermic needle when lake hunting! I just hope and pray my detector discovers it before my feet do!

( I also fear snapping turtles! hahaha! )

Honestly, the scariest thing I can think of here in Massachusetts is to possibly step on a hypodermic needle when lake hunting! I just hope and pray my detector discovers it before my feet do!

As for the gun thing in Panama, you only have a problem, if people outside become aware. My wife and I are low, key, dont advertise much, she Panamanian, knows the ins and out of where to go and how to act

Panama is a nice place to live, but you have to be flexible. I can survive financially on my VA disability here, than I can in the states.

But anyways, commonsense and being alert is a must anywhere in the world.

Sounds like a job for turtle man........................

Along those lines I've heard stories of their still being live Civil War landmines in the ground. I saw on tv or read one where a man who specialized in disarming Civil War mines was blown up by one that went off at his house.

On the top of that - most modern mines don't have much metal for the porpose not to be detected by MD!

Snapping turtles?

Didn't Chuck Berry mention this issue in a song?

"Once I was swimming cross turtle creek
Man those snappers all 'round my feet
Sure was hard swimming cross that thing
............."

LOL
HH,
John Morton

Forgive me for being so blunt, but, I think you've been reading too many old West story's. You sound like an accident or a homicide waiting to happen.
Tell me you don't really intend to go nosing around old gold mines in the middle of the night do you ??!!
If that IS what you intend to do, stumbling across somebody's claim is the LAST thing you need to worry about.
To start with I'd be worried about falling down a ventilation shaft. They could be anywhere, they are about five or six feet across or more or less, and up to fifty or more feet deep, they might be fenced off, or they might not be.
On top of that, these ventilation shafts are going to be covered and over grown with weeds and brush and your minds going to be focused on a metal detector, it would be just as dangerous in the day time! You step off into one of those and you're not going to know what hit you!!

I've been prospecting off and on for nearly ten years and I've been in more than a few mines and if I learned ANYTHING, it's take an extra flashlight or two and fresh batteries in a zip lock bag, MARK YOUR WAY in, so you can find your way out! A string is best, if your light sources should happen to cr@p out on you or your batteries get wet. Most mines will have a little or a lot of water in them, wet bread crumbs won't do squat for ya in the dark, I speak from experience.. oh yeah, ware a hard hat! first time you knock yourself silly on a low hanging rock you'll be glad ya did.
If you HAVE TO pick up rocks, DO NOT pick at the walls of the mine or the ceiling. And most of all, if you find something that looks like a old road flair and its all covered with a whiteish crusty crystal like substance, DO NOT PICK IT UP! BACK SLOWLY AWAY! what you have found is on old stick of unexploded dynamite that has sweat nitroglycerin and could go off if as much as a pebble should fall on it.
Other than that, if you've been in one hole in the ground,
you've pretty much seen them all..
Being young and dumb is one thing,
being old, stupid and dead is something to be avoided..

As far as packing a gun? I think you'd do well to give that a long, hard thought, AND read up on some the old mining laws that are in all likelihood still on the books.
Many laws were written to deal with the very issue of trespassing and claim jumping. At the time they had a way of looking at the two as being one in the same, and, the general mind set of the day was SHOOT FIRST AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER, And that train of thought often still prevails today, especially with the price of gold being what it is. You could find yourself facing the business end of a shotgun and some crazy old miner telling you to drop everything you got and "GIT"... if he says that much.
And it could be all perfectly legal.
Ignorance of the law won't help you in court and it might not keep you from getting yourself killed either.
But, I have a feeling you're going to do what you want anyway irregardless what I or anyone else says, I'd just hate to read about it in the news or the obits.
Now, if I haven' scared the stink out of you
just watch yer step,
and go have fun !

If they don't shoot you they might just eat you. It gets pretty slim picking for food for some of them guys up there in the hill. Hope you don't have a purty mouth or you might get more than just the business end of a gun.

Yeah vent shafts are out there so be careful. On this side of the mountain the brush is so thick you would not see them.

Back
Top Bottom