silver ring and indian head.

NHKeith

Forum Supporter
It was raining here in New Hampshire yesterday. I went out with the AT pro to the old school in town, hoping the raining conditions might help me grab some deep targets.

I hunted for almost 2 hours. I ended up with a couple bucks in change. read to a musical instrument, a belt buckle, a small 925 ring (12 silver on the year) and my first Indian head penny of the year(its in rough shape). I found only one other Indian head last year. so I need to find another one this year to beat last years total.

I soaked the IH in hot water and soap. but it didn't clean it up that much.

Last edited:
Nice hunt, Keith.

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

Nice hunt, Keith.

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

Thanks Dave. The last indian I ended up pealing off some of the copper from using a hard bristle tooth brush. so i just did the soap and water until I got the 411 from the experts... I will give the peroxide bath a shot tonight. stay tuned for a before and after tomorrow..

both the indian and the small ring both range up in the (69-75) zinc range on my AT pro. I was running in pro mode, all metals, with sensitivity maxed out. The targets were few and far in between, so I decided I was digging it all and maxing the sensitivity.

BTW I threw away a nice pile of trash hunting this method...

Nice Finds

Silver and Indians are hard to find so you had a very good hunt..PS, the morning weather report about a hurricane brewing says alot of rain could be headed for New England Labor day weekend..put on the raincoat and get ready to swing again.

Silver and Indians are hard to find so you had a very good hunt..PS, the morning weather report about a hurricane brewing says alot of rain could be headed for New England Labor day weekend..put on the raincoat and get ready to swing again.

I might have to adventure over to the beach if a hurricane comes so I can try to dig some old stuff if the sand moves a bunch...

Back
Top Bottom