Anybody recognize this Mercury Dime?

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I didn't need a Minelab Equinox 800 to find this one. It was lying in the grass, right on the surface of the ground. I'm still counting it as silver #31 FTY, but it was obviously another detectorist's find and loss. It had the dirt still on it, and a big digger scrape across the back. Just wondering if someone on this forum might be the butterfingers to blame...I mean thank.

Attachments

• DSCN7993.jpg
    DSCN7993.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 504
  • DSCN7991.jpg
    DSCN7991.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 521
Haha... nope, not me. I feel sorry for the detectorist who lost it, though!!

Great find! :clapping:

I was out detecting a former National Guard Armory. First target was a merc. I carefully placed it in my pocket for safekeeping. Later that morning a rosie came out of the dirt.

Stopped on the way home to purchase a watermelon.

Got home and the merc was missing. I went back to where I purchased the melon but no luck.

A couple weeks later a friend found a merc just lying on the dirt at the facility where I lost my find. I never did tell him that he found "My" silver.

Years ago I found one my own lost silver dimes. There must have been multiple targets in the hole because I never remembered a "dry hole". The next week when I went back to hunt I got a surface hit and looked down to see a crescent shaped bit of dried dirt (obviously fallen off my digger). When I picked it up I saw a silver dime staring back at be from the under-side.

Since that event I have become more careful in cleaning off my digger at each hole and re-scanning the area around each spot after I finish the recovery.

This is a perfet example of why when you find a gold ring that you DO NOT wander up and down the beach yelling "HEY! who's ring it this?":laughing:

Congrats on the easy find! I’d be po’d if I lost that lol

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

I was out detecting a former National Guard Armory. First target was a merc. I carefully placed it in my pocket for safekeeping. Later that morning a rosie came out of the dirt.
Stopped on the way home to purchase a watermelon.
Got home and the merc was missing. I went back to where I purchased the melon but no luck.
A couple weeks later a friend found a merc just lying on the dirt at the facility where I lost my find. I never did tell him that he found "My" silver.
At least you found out what happened to it. I agree not worth trying to tell him it was yours at that point.

Years ago I found one my own lost silver dimes. There must have been multiple targets in the hole because I never remembered a "dry hole". The next week when I went back to hunt I got a surface hit and looked down to see a crescent shaped bit of dried dirt (obviously fallen off my digger). When I picked it up I saw a silver dime staring back at be from the under-side.

Since that event I have become more careful in cleaning off my digger at each hole and re-scanning the area around each spot after I finish the recovery.
That's incredible! You already dug it up, lucky you swung over it again to reclaim something you didn't even know you had. This reinforces my conviction to ALWAYS swing my coil over the replaced plug area before moving on.

I love it when digging isn't required!
Me too!. Found lots of things on the ground surface in my day, but this is the first silver coin!
This is a perfet example of why when you find a gold ring that you DO NOT wander up and down the beach yelling "HEY! who's ring it this?":laughing:
Yep. I'm not posting it in lost & found.

Congrats on the easy find! I’d be po’d if I lost that lol
Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Thanks. They'll get over it. I do know it's a possibility I could find out who lost it someday. Then, honestly, I would likely return it.

Hey! A find is a find. ;)
Sure is. I keep my FTY detector find counts separate from any other finds. I did find this dime with the detector, and/or while detecting, so it counts. Last year, I found a silver GW quarter while digging bottles, so that didn't count toward my FTY total.

Back
Top Bottom