For the newbies...Basketball courts...revisited

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Ice storms, snow and super cold weather has me stuck inside so watching vids and reading the forums is all I have to get me by at the moment.

For all the newbies we have come on board this time every year that are new in the hobby congratZ...there are thrills awaiting you that can't possibly imagine but will know soon enough.

For those that don't know me I have been hanging around here for 4 years and I sure love to show my finds and brag a little like most of us, but I have found I enjoy posting threads with information that helps others to find that next great thing even more.
It doesn't matter what you swing, if you have a metal detector you can find metal buried in the ground and that is the object of all of this that we do.
I have found great things with all of my detectors from bargain basement to top end so the possibility is always there.

So many have questions when they start out, questions about how to use their detectors and tools, sometimes, and as we get into the hunting season some questions about where to hunt.
A year ago last August I hunted a park site that had a basketball court and ended up finding 3 gold rings there, after that I figured out a few things and worked to become the best I can when I come across these things wherever I go because I believe there is no higher percentage site to find jewelry than these courts...really trashy volleyball courts and picnic pavilion areas come in second and third, by the way.

Here are a few of my past threads that I posted attempting to tell people about what I discovered and what I learned about these courts and many have thanked me because they never targeted these usually very trashy sites in the past but tried them after my advice and ended up finding some fantastic things...silver and gold jewelry the most important of these great finds and sometimes their first.
Like I said, that is exactly the reason why I put this stuff down and it thrills me to no end when someone does this.

This morning I read 2 posts about hunters that hunted these courts and found a couple of great targets and got me going so I will re-post some information from the past for you new guys and gals to look at and maybe you will try out some of the things in here at your local sites, too.

gopowercat found his first silver ring next to one...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=179013

gopower.jpg

Swinglow wanted gold and guess where he found a beautiful gold ring...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=178977

gold swing.jpg

Here are some of my greatest finds around some of these courts, I know that this year I will find even more after going back and hunting some of my older sites and after finding some new ones.
One of the best things about these sites is that just like tot lots they tend to reload year after year.
Because of the huge amount of trash that is usually found around these things many hunters just avoid them so as far as I am concerned they are virgin ground.
Not the easiest sites to hunt, but take your time, go back to them over and over like I do and slowly clean them out and you just might discover and understand what we mean when we mention the word "Honeyhole".
When you find a good one there is usually more than just one great target hanging around disguised and hiding just waiting for you to come across and discover it.

BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS2 newest.jpg

And here is some of that info and tips and tricks I learned to hunt these the most efficient way possible....
Find a court, try them out, do the work and here is hoping they will work for you too!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=139308

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155196

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155390

Thanks for the update Digger. Always good info. Your post reminded me to go back to my local court again, this time armed with the sniper coil.

Amazing info, thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information. I was wondering, you say you found a silver dollar? The 1978 ike you found is not silver though its just clad?

Amazing info, thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great information. I was wondering, you say you found a silver dollar? The 1978 ike you found is not silver though its just clad?

A 1978 Ike is just clad, the last of the big dollar coins...still thrilling to dig a coin this big, though.
This thing was vertical in the ground about 10 feet behind a basket, I, and others, had missed it several times but I changed directions on maybe my 4th trip here and it sounded off loud and clear from that direction.

Using the F70 and hitting some older sites this year definitely on my bucket list is finding a real silver dollar.
I found two Benjies on one hunt once, they add up to a dollar but that is not the same.

I took digger27's advice last year about basketball courts. Found 23 gram silver chain on my second outing. My biggest chain to date. Love basketball courts now! Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger how about putting all of your tips into one PDF download? You could keep the link in your signature or something :)

Maybe.
Thinking about assembling some, adding more, (still learning), and maybe try putting out a cheap e-book or something.
All the tips and techniques I have learned that work on all detectors, maybe a manual on how to really get the best out of the F2...all together or separate.
We will see.

Maybe.
Thinking about assembling some, adding more, (still learning), and maybe try putting out a cheap e-book or something.
All the tips and techniques I have learned that work on all detectors, maybe a manual on how to really get the best out of the F2...all together or separate.
We will see.
Do the E book and get something out of it. You deserve it my friend!! Something like-- Increase your MD finds., --Tips from a seasoned Pro.

Great tips. Thanks Digger27.
Newbie here waiting for my new detector to arrive in the mail next week. In the meantime having fun reading the forum and learning. :D

Thank you for this post, I have been struggling lately and have not had any good finds in about 100 hours of detecting this year until i read your post, Last night i went back to a park i have hit many times this year but never hit around the basketball courts. Gave it a go and within 20 minutes pulled a 5 gram 22K mens band. It was getting dark when i started so cannot wait to get out and see what else i can find. Your advise was the best i have seen on this thread and you better believe I am going to make a habit of detecting around courts.

Thank you for this post, I have been struggling lately and have not had any good finds in about 100 hours of detecting this year until i read your post, Last night i went back to a park i have hit many times this year but never hit around the basketball courts. Gave it a go and within 20 minutes pulled a 5 gram 22K mens band. It was getting dark when i started so cannot wait to get out and see what else i can find. Your advise was the best i have seen on this thread and you better believe I am going to make a habit of detecting around courts.

CongratZ!

And Thanks!
No matter what my wife thinks, I actually do know some stuff.

Take a pic and throw that ring up in the stories section...I would love to see it.
Your exact experience is the prime reason I write and post tips like this.

Back
Top Bottom