Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Finally Going to try CRH

Hi Friends,

Since winter weather is quickly approaching, the metal detector is put away for a while. I have decided to try CRH as a way to amuse myself while my wife and I are watching TV... and hopefully find a few keepers once in a while. I don't have a bunch of spare money sitting around, but figured maybe I could swing enough to order a box of halves from the bank to look through every once in a while. As I have been reading the posts here I have seen just enough information to mildly confuse me, so I wondered if anyone would be willing to share in a post what would be the best things to look for... without making me look foolish for asking. I have seen the terms 90%, 40% key date, proof, and NIFC thrown around enough that I just am not sure exactly what is a keeper and what isn't.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to offer some guidance to a CRH newbie.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM

If you are looking through halves keep anything that is 1964-70 (64 is 90% silver and the 65-70 is 40%) or with an S mint mark.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Supporter

Make sure you have a place to dump them. I bought a box of halves ($500) from a bank and then figured out they were tough to get rid of around me. Ended up dumping them in a Coinstar and took gift credits to not lose any money.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by twizzlerlord View post
If you are looking through halves keep anything that is 1964-70 (64 is 90% silver and the 65-70 is 40%) or with an S mint mark.
Also.. look for Not Intended For Circulation NIFC. The mint stopped circulating Kennedy half dollar coins in 2001, so anything 2002 and newer had to be purchased from the mint. And 1987P

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
Also.. look for Not Intended For Circulation NIFC. The mint stopped circulating Kennedy half dollar coins in 2001, so anything 2002 and newer had to be purchased from the mint. And 1987P
Okay... so are the NIFC coins of greater value to collectors and therefore worth more than the .50 or just something unusual to hold onto? Thanks

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by twizzlerlord View post
Thanks... the 90% and 40% makes sense. What's up with the s mint marks? Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable about coins.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MrNovice View post
Make sure you have a place to dump them. I bought a box of halves ($500) from a bank and then figured out they were tough to get rid of around me. Ended up dumping them in a Coinstar and took gift credits to not lose any money.
Thanks for the info. Apparently the bank branch that I should be able to get the boxes from has another branch with a coinstar machine.... no charge for members if they deposit the money in their account... which I have. (Provided they don't get miffed with me and tell me I can't do it any more.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
What's up with the s mint marks?
I believe the s means it is a proof

Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Hi Friends,

I have seen the terms 90%, 40% key date, proof, and NIFC thrown around enough that I just am not sure exactly what is a keeper and what isn't.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to offer some guidance to a CRH newbie.
90% (silver) any half 1964 or older
40% (silver) 1965-1970
key date - some dates are rarer than others and more valuable, not sure if any halves qualify. 1970 is pretty rare.
proof - originally came in a sealed set, has mirror like background, frosted cameo portrait, S mintmark - some are silver, most aren't
NIFC -not intended for circulation - fewer coins minted - 1987 and 2002 and newer

I keep all silver, all proofs, and all 1987. Dealer used to give me a few bucks for each proof and 87. The 2002+ may be worth more than 50c to collectors someday. I keep commemoratives and any foreign coins or tokens that get mixed in, too.

Happy hunting.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 AM
Supporter

Thanks... the 90% and 40% makes sense. What's up with the s mint marks? Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable about coins.
S mintmark stands for San Francisco mint. I keep all halves up to including 1970. I toss back NIFC and clad S-mint proofs, they have no value to me, but they do to others. (1992-present S-mint halves are produced in clad and 90% silver). Get a current US Red book of coins or even better, The Cherry Picker's Guide which will tell you what valuable errors to watch for.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
S mintmark stands for San Francisco mint. I keep all halves up to including 1970. I toss back NIFC and clad S-mint proofs, they have no value to me, but they do to others. (1992-present S-mint halves are produced in clad and 90% silver). Get a current US Red book of coins or even better, The Cherry Picker's Guide which will tell you what valuable errors to watch for.
Other than mentioned I have found a couple of broken down coins. I don't know their value but it is collectable to me. Best of luck and HH

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
Other than mentioned I have found a couple of broken down coins. I don't know their value but it is collectable to me. Best of luck and HH

I checked, but could not find 'broken down coin' in my Cherry Pickers Guide.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions

I appreciate all of the prompt and kind responses. I hope to get the box this weekend unless there is a significant time lag in ordering it. I will post pics and or info on any finds. HH

Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Official Tot Lot King

Just found your post! KT cannot add anything to what has been said, other than check the edges of every bicentennial half (1976) and if you see solid silver rim with no copper, you have a non-proof silver from a non-proof silver set....Happened to His Majesty this week! They are scarce to find out in circulation.

Also, if you hit a few boxes with no silver, do not get disappointed. KT sometimes goes through as many as 7 boxes with no silver to find one good box! Best of luck to you!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks again

Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 PM

Default 1st Box Complete... I'm hooked!

So I picked up my first box today. I only went with one box because I wanted to make sure that my return works as expected. My daughter and I searched through it while watching tv so no time lost. I found three NIFC ( a 2006, 2010, and 2013). My daughter while sorting said, "That's a weird one... and promptly handed me a 1919 Walker! I'm sure this isn't typical but it was enough fun for me to go get another box ordered for next week.

Happy Hunting Everyone!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 AM

Awesome finding a walker in your first box. Kind of thinking of trying crh during the winter months. Let us know how the coin dump turns out.

Gold Rings: 1

Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

So I picked up my first box today. I only went with one box because I wanted to make sure that my return works as expected. My daughter and I searched through it while watching tv so no time lost. I found three NIFC ( a 2006, 2010, and 2013). My daughter while sorting said, "That's a weird one... and promptly handed me a 1919 Walker! I'm sure this isn't typical but it was enough fun for me to go get another box ordered for next week.

Happy Hunting Everyone!
Congrats on the walker

Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Supporter

Very well done indeed! Now you got something to do all Winter!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Very well done indeed! Now you got something to do all Winter!
Exactly... thanks!