Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2017, 08:52 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default Finally Going to try CRH

Hi Friends,

Since winter weather is quickly approaching, the metal detector is put away for a while. I have decided to try CRH as a way to amuse myself while my wife and I are watching TV... and hopefully find a few keepers once in a while. I don't have a bunch of spare money sitting around, but figured maybe I could swing enough to order a box of halves from the bank to look through every once in a while. As I have been reading the posts here I have seen just enough information to mildly confuse me, so I wondered if anyone would be willing to share in a post what would be the best things to look for... without making me look foolish for asking. I have seen the terms 90%, 40% key date, proof, and NIFC thrown around enough that I just am not sure exactly what is a keeper and what isn't.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to offer some guidance to a CRH newbie.

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM
twizzlerlord twizzlerlord is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 86
Default

If you are looking through halves keep anything that is 1964-70 (64 is 90% silver and the 65-70 is 40%) or with an S mint mark.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 PM
MrNovice's Avatar
MrNovice MrNovice is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Just outside Dallas, TX, 'Murica
Posts: 3,305
Default

Make sure you have a place to dump them. I bought a box of halves ($500) from a bank and then figured out they were tough to get rid of around me. Ended up dumping them in a Coinstar and took gift credits to not lose any money.

__________________
Working on my second million, 1 at a time...

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by twizzlerlord View post
If you are looking through halves keep anything that is 1964-70 (64 is 90% silver and the 65-70 is 40%) or with an S mint mark.
Also.. look for Not Intended For Circulation NIFC. The mint stopped circulating Kennedy half dollar coins in 2001, so anything 2002 and newer had to be purchased from the mint. And 1987P

__________________
Tn. TH'er:lostmystuff.net,Minelab E-Trac,Garrett AT Pro,
Fisher 1266X,Fisher F75 SE,Garrett 7X,Garrett Freedom II Plus,Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II,Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer,

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
Also.. look for Not Intended For Circulation NIFC. The mint stopped circulating Kennedy half dollar coins in 2001, so anything 2002 and newer had to be purchased from the mint. And 1987P
Okay... so are the NIFC coins of greater value to collectors and therefore worth more than the .50 or just something unusual to hold onto? Thanks

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by twizzlerlord View post
If you are looking through halves keep anything that is 1964-70 (64 is 90% silver and the 65-70 is 40%) or with an S mint mark.
Thanks... the 90% and 40% makes sense. What's up with the s mint marks? Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable about coins.

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by MrNovice View post
Make sure you have a place to dump them. I bought a box of halves ($500) from a bank and then figured out they were tough to get rid of around me. Ended up dumping them in a Coinstar and took gift credits to not lose any money.
Thanks for the info. Apparently the bank branch that I should be able to get the boxes from has another branch with a coinstar machine.... no charge for members if they deposit the money in their account... which I have. (Provided they don't get miffed with me and tell me I can't do it any more.

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 PM
twizzlerlord twizzlerlord is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 86
Default

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
What's up with the s mint marks?
I believe the s means it is a proof
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 AM
TorqueMaster's Avatar
TorqueMaster TorqueMaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 286
Default

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
Hi Friends,

I have seen the terms 90%, 40% key date, proof, and NIFC thrown around enough that I just am not sure exactly what is a keeper and what isn't.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to offer some guidance to a CRH newbie.
90% (silver) any half 1964 or older
40% (silver) 1965-1970
key date - some dates are rarer than others and more valuable, not sure if any halves qualify. 1970 is pretty rare.
proof - originally came in a sealed set, has mirror like background, frosted cameo portrait, S mintmark - some are silver, most aren't
NIFC -not intended for circulation - fewer coins minted - 1987 and 2002 and newer

I keep all silver, all proofs, and all 1987. Dealer used to give me a few bucks for each proof and 87. The 2002+ may be worth more than 50c to collectors someday. I keep commemoratives and any foreign coins or tokens that get mixed in, too.

Happy hunting.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,247
Default

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
Thanks... the 90% and 40% makes sense. What's up with the s mint marks? Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable about coins.
S mintmark stands for San Francisco mint. I keep all halves up to including 1970. I toss back NIFC and clad S-mint proofs, they have no value to me, but they do to others. (1992-present S-mint halves are produced in clad and 90% silver). Get a current US Red book of coins or even better, The Cherry Picker's Guide which will tell you what valuable errors to watch for.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
S mintmark stands for San Francisco mint. I keep all halves up to including 1970. I toss back NIFC and clad S-mint proofs, they have no value to me, but they do to others. (1992-present S-mint halves are produced in clad and 90% silver). Get a current US Red book of coins or even better, The Cherry Picker's Guide which will tell you what valuable errors to watch for.
Other than mentioned I have found a couple of broken down coins. I don't know their value but it is collectable to me. Best of luck and HH

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

__________________
Tn. TH'er:lostmystuff.net,Minelab E-Trac,Garrett AT Pro,
Fisher 1266X,Fisher F75 SE,Garrett 7X,Garrett Freedom II Plus,Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II,Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer,

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,247
Default

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
Other than mentioned I have found a couple of broken down coins. I don't know their value but it is collectable to me. Best of luck and HH

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
I checked, but could not find 'broken down coin' in my Cherry Pickers Guide.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:09 AM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions

I appreciate all of the prompt and kind responses. I hope to get the box this weekend unless there is a significant time lag in ordering it. I will post pics and or info on any finds. HH

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 7,994
Default

Just found your post! KT cannot add anything to what has been said, other than check the edges of every bicentennial half (1976) and if you see solid silver rim with no copper, you have a non-proof silver from a non-proof silver set....Happened to His Majesty this week! They are scarce to find out in circulation.

Also, if you hit a few boxes with no silver, do not get disappointed. KT sometimes goes through as many as 7 boxes with no silver to find one good box! Best of luck to you!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro; 2017 CRH totals: 321 40%ers, 74 90%ers, 120 proofs, 730 NIFCs, 1 Cu-wash Ken, 6 87 Kens, 8 foreigns, 4 Au-plated

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default

Thanks again

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default 1st Box Complete... I'm hooked!

So I picked up my first box today. I only went with one box because I wanted to make sure that my return works as expected. My daughter and I searched through it while watching tv so no time lost. I found three NIFC ( a 2006, 2010, and 2013). My daughter while sorting said, "That's a weird one... and promptly handed me a 1919 Walker! I'm sure this isn't typical but it was enough fun for me to go get another box ordered for next week.

Happy Hunting Everyone!
Attached Images
 

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 303
Default

Awesome finding a walker in your first box. Kind of thinking of trying crh during the winter months. Let us know how the coin dump turns out.

__________________
AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche
2017 Totals: Clad $257.05
Wheats: 92, Silver: 29, Silver Rings: 12, IH: 3, Buffalo: 2
Gold Rings: 1

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM
pan4au's Avatar
pan4au pan4au is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: W.Tn
Posts: 1,367
Default

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
So I picked up my first box today. I only went with one box because I wanted to make sure that my return works as expected. My daughter and I searched through it while watching tv so no time lost. I found three NIFC ( a 2006, 2010, and 2013). My daughter while sorting said, "That's a weird one... and promptly handed me a 1919 Walker! I'm sure this isn't typical but it was enough fun for me to go get another box ordered for next week.

Happy Hunting Everyone!
Congrats on the walker

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

__________________
Tn. TH'er:lostmystuff.net,Minelab E-Trac,Garrett AT Pro,
Fisher 1266X,Fisher F75 SE,Garrett 7X,Garrett Freedom II Plus,Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II,Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer,

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 8,612
Default

Very well done indeed! Now you got something to do all Winter!

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 93
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Very well done indeed! Now you got something to do all Winter!
Exactly... thanks!

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.