Alternative PinPointer..?

007tallguy

Elite Member
hi all, was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using one of these little rigs as a pinpointer? it's called a Little Wizard II and although it's designed for finding nails in lumber, metal is still metal, so why not play in the dirt with it? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7X86vqDMgg&feature=related

i picked one up today and it seems like it might have some potential in the field. i did a little bit of air testing with it with various coins, couple gold rings and it does have an adjustable sensitivity and 5 segment LED's for signal strength, as well as an audible "beep" (that little video clip shows it pretty good).
although it resembles a popular shaving device, it's close to 8 inches long, 9 volt battery, and about 2 inches across the end and one neet thing is it seems to be every bit as sensitive just using the corner of it as opposed to using it "on the flat". but then again, that nice 2 inch wide swath can cover more of the hole than a point can cover, and then narrow things down using the corner of it.
if the ground ever decides to thaw here, maybe i'll get to try it out in the field. one BIG advantage of this one is it only cost 20 bucks!!! and if it proves to not be so good for the MDing hobby, i can still use it out in the shop. :D

Pete

if anything-get the garrett propointer with 360 degree detecting

Hi well thought of it is what it is.
I would say in my view save up and get a pinpointer from a good retailer with a warranty,

not to worry, i do intend to get the Garrett PP, i just wanted a little something to hold me over until i get one, lol. at least, the one in that video link is inexpensive and whether or not it's any good in the field, it's still useful for it's intended purposes. :D

Pete

Hey Pete I am using one of those little Harbor Freight deelies that are for the same purpose. I know eventually I will save up for the pp but for the time being for 16.00 it serves it's purpose!

Hey Pete I am using one of those little Harbor Freight deelies that are for the same purpose. I know eventually I will save up for the pp but for the time being for 16.00 it serves it's purpose!

ok, cool. thanks for the note! :D
i was basically thinking the same thing and i saw this on the Lee Valley website and i figured why not try it. i honestly don't know if we even have a harbor freight up this way anywhere.
i also plan on getting the Garrett Pro when the tax refund comes, but i think this cheapy will come in handy for the next month or so, lol.

P.

I have one of those Little Wizard II's. I use it all the time. It does ok for what it is, I already had it for woodworking for a couple of years. One thing is it's pretty tough and you can scrape around in the dirt with it to find those stained clads which blend in. Only detects about an inch or so away though. Woodcraft occasionally has them on sale for about $12. That said I'm only using it because I already had it, I would save up for a real pinpointer if I was shopping for one.

Back
Top Bottom