GAR Badge from 1899

Good Luck Jack

Hi All -

So I found this little guy near the Delaware River - it's a GAR badge and I "think" its brass or maybe copper plated??? I have no clue...I don't plan on selling it. I just want to clean it up and bring some of the details out. What do u think is the best way to clean it?

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 498
That badge looks like copper. I found stuff like that before and had my best luck with tinners fluid (mild soldering acid not good for skin or eyes) and a toothpick to start, then "carefully" dental pick harder spots. I wont come out too well in the black areas were you lost material.

I wouldn't do electrolysis because it will be pitted and lock bad. So in olive oil and so it loses the dirt but leaves the metal alone. Cool find personally I would leave as is. HH Phil

Been quite a few of those G A R badges getting dug up lately,
I found one two weeks ago from 1906.
Nice relic save!

I wouldn't do electrolysis because it will be pitted and lock bad. So in olive oil and so it loses the dirt but leaves the metal alone. Cool find personally I would leave as is. HH Phil

I agree, I cleaned a shield nickel and lost all detail left... leave this badge alone and just display it!

One of the things I love the most is learning something about the relic after you found out what it is and wondering who was the owner before me

i wouldn't do electrolysis because it will be pitted and lock bad. So in olive oil and so it loses the dirt but leaves the metal alone. Cool find personally i would leave as is. Hh phil

x2 do not use electrolysis on brassy items. The details are in the patina which would disappear if you do electrolysis. A tumbler will evenly remove loose outer crud.
Electrolysis works from the inside out. Great for rusty steel. Horrible for brassy items.

If you must clean it, vinegar works well on copper. Soak for 10 minutes at a time, so you don't over clean it. Rinse with water each time until its as clean as you need.
And soak it in a baking soda and water bath when you are done. If not the acid from vinegar will continue to eat away at it. You need to neutralize it.
But I would only use a tumbler. You can practice on some pennies to get the right size sand.

ALSO I USE A WHITE PAINT AND THEN WIPE LIGHTLY TO REMOVE IT ON THE HIGH SPOTS. IT REALLY MAKES THE DETAILS POP OUT. YOU CAN ALWAYS WASH IT OFF. AND YOU CAN PRACTICE ON A PENNY.

I am a fan of cleaning with spit scrubbing with tinfoil... works wonders on copper nickle and brass... I have yet to try on iron though... need to find a Steele to test.

Back
Top Bottom