Very Fishy...

juggernaut0055

So,

I went to a mill today that I have sole permission to hunt, when I got to the picnic area (mill property)that I was hoping might be a great spot as I had found silver just across the street at the front door to the mill...and what do I see?:shock:

Yup, some ones carefully covered plugs.:mad: WTH? I showed this property to another guy I hunt with via google earth...now I'm not saying he went when I couldn't the last two weeks...I certainly hope he didn't, but its awfully fishy that there were fresh plugs dug at such a small little place off the beaten path...... I managed one 1918 wheatie and nothing else!

I am just not one that buys into coincidences like this........ Maybe someone that drove by me while I was detecting last week grabbed theirs and just hit it thinking it was public land or something:?: not happy....

That sucks.

But lesson learned I hope.

The temptation to hunt good or possibly productive new sites before others have a chance is too great for some people , they will jump the gun and lie about it later.

This is one of the benefits of hunting alone and being very careful about giving out site information. You get your chance before someone else can take it away from you.

Flip the script! Next time you find a great spot, show the property to one of Us! We will get there and hunt it before he does! That'l teach him!:laughing:

Mud

So,

I went to a mill today that I have sole permission to hunt, when I got to the picnic area (mill property)that I was hoping might be a great spot as I had found silver just across the street at the front door to the mill...and what do I see?:shock:

Yup, some ones carefully covered plugs.:mad: WTH? I showed this property to another guy I hunt with via google earth...now I'm not saying he went when I couldn't the last two weeks...I certainly hope he didn't, but its awfully fishy that there were fresh plugs dug at such a small little place off the beaten path...... I managed one 1918 wheatie and nothing else!

I am just not one that buys into coincidences like this........ Maybe someone that drove by me while I was detecting last week grabbed theirs and just hit it thinking it was public land or something:?: not happy....

ive said it before...the greed and selfishness ive witnessed in this hobby is endless!

Back in 1989, July 1989 to be sure. I had secured permission to hunt the old parade grounds of a military base. Was huge, probably 5 acres or so lined with huge oak trees. This was virgin territory and over 70 years old at the time.

I hunted the perimeter around a few of the trees and took a few random sweeps across the grounds. Was very productive, dozens of wheat's, few silvers and a bunch of buttons and various other military pins.

I made the mistake of sharing my finds with the local club, and confided the location to one of my partners. Imagine my surprise when I went back a few weeks later and found plugs, and holes all over the grounds. Someone had clearly been here, actually more than one.

Few days later at the meeting my "Partner" showed off his finds and even had a slide show presentation of the area and of all his finds. He had found a nice coin spill with remnants of a purse, and a Peace Dollar. I was livid!!

Provost Marshall said that soon after I received permission, people descended on the area. Some detected at night, while others set up sifters to sift the banks and soft Burm on the side of the grounds. Unfortunately, it appeared that I betrayed their trust and never received permission again. Within a few months the area was off limits, and all detecting was soon banned on the entire installation.

Needless to say, we were never partners after that and I never disclosed a hunting spot ever again.

That really stinks! I guess we are all have a bit of the pirate in us if we like this hobby. Too bad that some will let it get the better of them. If I ever find a prime spot, I'm going to do whatever I can to keep it secret.

BCD

Have you talked to your supposed "friend" you shared info with??

I have went to permissions obtained by others,,,I always offer this deal. I'll hunt the site with you,,you can have all finds I find,,except I get to keep one find of my choice--- and to be able to have a picture of what I found.

May sound like a corny way of doing,,but I like to hunt.

So,

As Jimmy Conway said in Goodfellas " Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut" :shock:

If someone tells me of a spot and I am interested then I would ask them if they minded if I detect there. That is simple respect. I would ask four friend. He may not have done it but he may have let the location slip in a conversation with others.

I guess the best thing to do is to never talk about a location until you think you are finished with it.

It is pretty sad to think that if he did it that he ended a friendship over a few finds. It is not worth it.

This Sport more than any other outdoor Pursuit Oriented disciplines dictates secrecy when it comes to a hot location...We are all heavily addicted to the point of obsession and sometimes the temptation is larger than any normal Human can bear!:laughing: No excuse for a Brother to hijack another's site though, but in this light its understandable...The few noble exceptions being us here right? :laughing: right? None of US would never do that!

We are hunting a limited and NON Replenishing Quarry in a race against Time and Each Other! Not like Fisherman or Deer Hunters!...Once a virgin hot spot is hunted, theres nobody coming along dropping any more Silver/Gold!....

The moral turpitude of the unwashed masses of detectorists knows no integrity bonds! The only thing that keeps most Men in check is 'fear'...either of the law or of somebody else! We are some pretty brave and bold old scoundrels/pirates, and thats a big part of the allure of this Sport!...

Still, theres somethings in Life that are just not Cricket, you never kick a guy in the jimmies, strike a Lady, fart in Church, and you never Never EVER hijack a Brothers site! Not ever!:laughing:

I got a great partner here, Forum member STURRAT...we help each other beat out the rest of the dopes in the area when one of us trips across a hotspot, we get in there and clean it right out!...Luckily, we dont attend the same church, or he would know I'm only about 98% trustworthy!:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
Yeah, I am thinking I may only detect with this chap at public places for sure and I will keep my mouth shut on any "private" permissions I obtain at least until they share one themselves.

I have a guy I work with wants to try it out, and since he doesn't have a detector, I'll know when he goes...lol.

Interesting

I'd make up a "hidden gem" and in passing let him know about the place. Make up a good story so that he thinks coins will be sprouting from the ground. Check the spot in a couple weeks, you'll have your answer.

Still, theres somethings in Life that are just not Cricket, you never kick a guy in the jimmies, strike a Lady, fart in Church, and you never Never EVER hijack a Brothers site! Not ever!:laughing:

You crack me up mud.

My brother once kicked me square in the jimmies. He dropped me like a wet noodle, right in front of my girlfriend. I was 11 or 12 at the time, still pissed at him decades later. Oh, but I got him back good, real good. I wasn't big enough to do physical damage to him, so I did the next best thing. I grabbed his hidden stack of playboys and threw them all about his bedroom. When mom found the mags i think she went postal (no offense to our mail carriers) on him. Good times!

Back when I was the President of our local metal detecting club, we received permission to hunt an old park in a nearby town. At our next meeting we made plans to hold the hunt on the second Saturday. Since I also did the newsletter I decided to drive down and look the site over so I could give information and directions to the members. When I arrived i found four of the club members already hunting the site. Needless to say i wasn't very happy to see them there before the rest of us had a chance to hunt the park.

Back
Top Bottom