Permission on Historical House/site

Patrickcn

Hi All,

I have been thinking of working a site that I know hasnt been worked yet or at least for 10 years. I am trying to get permission and hope to work it this spring.

The site is an old asylum that the county used to own but has gone up for sale a few years ago. I did research on it and found that it was built in the late 1880's and has 15 acres plus water frontage. I found a historical report on it with floor plans; plot map and a historic summary.

This building has been empty since 2010 and the police patrol the area constantly, so I am trying to get permission (don't need a trespass ticket LOL). I do know that it was owned by the county and now a real estate company is listing it or they were. It was put up for auction in 2014 and then listed again in 2015 but now showing not active. I doubt anyone has bought it yet (the asking price is way too high, $500,000 over property value). So tomorrow I am going to visit the real estate office (I know one of the agents so hopefully....).

Even if I can't get permission, I have had a good time reserching this property and learning the history of it. I have been inside it once. When we moved back and was looking for a place we saw this property and just for the fun of it we did a quick snoop and poop on it. It was left open at that time and well.... creepy lol

So my question, what do you think the odds are getting permission on a historical building property? I am also going to try the historical society if the real estate office doesnt work out. Maybe offer to write a reserch paper on it and offer to give them a copy and the "artifacts" I find. I just want to search it for the fun and history, not trying to keep stuff (well maybe some coins if...).

Have a good day! its 7 outside and some snow still on ground!
HH

My guess is the'll say no for insurance reasons even if historical isn't a problem for them . Good Luck hope it works out for you , doesn't hurt to try .
HH

My guess is the'll say no for insurance reasons even if historical isn't a problem for them . Good Luck hope it works out for you , doesn't hurt to try .
HH

Hi Ricki,

I was thinking along those same lines. I am hoping that asking just to work the grounds and not the building will ease the issues, but who know lol.

Just dress up like a crazy old ghost and have at it! If the cops show up, just behave normally, you know, start drooling and moaning and wet your pants!:laughing:
Mud

Just dress up like a crazy old ghost and have at it! If the cops show up, just behave normally, you know, start drooling and moaning and wet your pants!:laughing:
Mud[/QUOTE

Mudd:laughing::laughing:,

My wife said basically the samething but that I should just act myself and they will think I am still a patient there:shock::no::shock::no: see what I have to put up with here!

Ha! That sounds like a cool and spooky place though Pat!...I dont know what you can expect to find, since most insane people probably were not allowed to have pockets, and used matchsticks to gamble with...I seen "One Flew Over" back in the day, basing my musings off of that..:laughing:
Mud.

I received a call back from the historical society and they agreed to meet with me next week. They like my idea of doing a write up of the property and building. The director said they have no problem with me entering the grounds and detecting as long as there is no damage done to the property (I explained over the phone our plug techniques etc...). They will also arrange for me to enter the building for a few hours to take photos, video and notes accompanied by either the director or the "old care taker".

In return all they ask, besides no damage etc..., is if I find anything of historical value relating to the building/asylum I am to map out the location, take photos and turn over to them if they decide they want to display it. She stated that unless it is a small object, or something that is vital, they really dont have room in their displays for it and that I can keep it but have it handy incase they want to show it off sometime down the line. They also want me to put together a small presentation of the place (i.e. a small write up, photos etc...) to hang up.

So, it seems like it will be a good deal. I go in to talk to them next Thursday to basically just meet and greet and talk about it. She said there should be no problems at all because they have talked about doing a display piece to hang on the wall about three other places and this one but havent found anyone to do it.

I really do not expect to find anything really exciting but you never know. I do know that down by the water they used to have a picnic area for the patient's families to visit, so maybe the coins and stuff will be there. But I am doing this for a) I love history, b) the experience and c) this may lead into other historical properties or contacts....

Have a great day

Great Job! Over the phone even! You must have a persuasive personality! Who knows what awaits in there! Three other places to boot! Thats a good score there,...keep us posted on this adventure!

Hey, just gonna throw this out there, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes...you may need some help, and this sounds like FUN!
Mud

Great Job! Over the phone even! You must have a persuasive personality! Who knows what awaits in there! Three other places to boot! Thats a good score there,...keep us posted on this adventure!

Hey, just gonna throw this out there, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes...you may need some help, and this sounds like FUN!
Mud

Hi Mud,

My wife was in shock too. She listened while I had it on speaker phone and I knew she was ready to pounce on me saying I knew it wouldnt work (She originally said to sneak out there and do it because others are always walking through there lol but told her I was trying to do it right).

I know where you are and will contact you after I can get some good firm dates Mud and then you are more than welcome. I am still looking at your area for relocation but then again :laughing:

I warned you about me in our PM's so just be fore warned :p:p:cool::laughing:

I received a call back from the historical society and they agreed to meet with me next week. They like my idea of doing a write up of the property and building. The director said they have no problem with me entering the grounds and detecting as long as there is no damage done to the property (I explained over the phone our plug techniques etc...). They will also arrange for me to enter the building for a few hours to take photos, video and notes accompanied by either the director or the "old care taker".

In return all they ask, besides no damage etc..., is if I find anything of historical value relating to the building/asylum I am to map out the location, take photos and turn over to them if they decide they want to display it. She stated that unless it is a small object, or something that is vital, they really dont have room in their displays for it and that I can keep it but have it handy incase they want to show it off sometime down the line. They also want me to put together a small presentation of the place (i.e. a small write up, photos etc...) to hang up.

So, it seems like it will be a good deal. I go in to talk to them next Thursday to basically just meet and greet and talk about it. She said there should be no problems at all because they have talked about doing a display piece to hang on the wall about three other places and this one but havent found anyone to do it.

I really do not expect to find anything really exciting but you never know. I do know that down by the water they used to have a picnic area for the patient's families to visit, so maybe the coins and stuff will be there. But I am doing this for a) I love history, b) the experience and c) this may lead into other historical properties or contacts....

Have a great day

Sounds like a good deal! You should try to bring a buddy along to maximize the area that you can cover and make more finds.

Excellent news Patrick!

The authorities would love to see stuff like any name tags the staff might have worn and things like that.

Keep us up to speed! :yes:

I have hunted several historical homes. The owners are generally pleased that I want to save the history.

Sounds like a good deal! You should try to bring a buddy along to maximize the area that you can cover and make more finds.

I have no problem bringing along anyone on here with me as long as they a) are respectful to the property (i.e. not tearing it up) and b) if we find something that is historically related to the property they are willing to give it up to the society if they want it. Other than that, I know Mud wants to and anyone else is welcome. I believe there is 15 plus acres and that is a lot of room. I guess I should ask if I can bring more people??? I mentioned to them that it would be me, my wife (who will photo and take notes) and maybe two others to help out.

I have hunted several historical homes. The owners are generally pleased that I want to save the history.

Thats what we were thinking too. There are a few (maybe 10 or so) other historical homes in this area, but this asylum has grabbed me and wont let go... (ok Mud fire away I left myself open on that one...:laughing:).

Back
Top Bottom