My New Oldest find!

JCbrello

Finally got permission (last night) to hunt a empty lot/yard that is between 2 1950's houses. It had a house on it that appears on an 1860's map but couldn't find any build date. The neighbors who remember it say that it was a really really old house. I headed out there today and about 15 minutes in I got a sweet deep 12-46 signal. Dug down about 8 or so inches and out pops a 1722 Britain copper farthing! 293 years old and beat my oldest find by 65 years! :cool: Its in great shape too! I Kept swinging for about 4 more hours but didnt find a lot. Good news is there is still a lot of area to lest to search!

Attachments

• Farthing 11.jpg
    Farthing 11.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,684
  • Farthing 22.jpg
    Farthing 22.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,667
  • hunt 1.jpg
    hunt 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,661
congrats, nice score! :shock:
looks like there were a lot of musicians around there too. :yes: i think there are as many different kinds of harmonica reeds around as there are different kinds of coins, lol.

Thanks guys!
Can't beat the excitement you feel when you find something like that and first lay eyes on it! It certainly was Eye popping and Mind blowing to me! :yes:

I found 2 more harmonica reeds there today, A beautiful small colonial cuff button with a flower design on it and A cut in half coin that can't be identified except its a fatty, penny size so may be an old Indian. Also found what appears to be a pocket watch face with engraved roman numerals and a square hole in it. Some modern clad. Place still has more to give but its slow going, The yard is loaded with Iron and has been filled a lot. Been using the Crawl/TTF to pull stuff out of the fill in the foundation area. Another good part is occasionally I find a brick in the hole and they are all hand made! :)

I'd love to know the history of that coin, who had it, and how it travelled so far. Congratulations on your great find, wheres theres one, there may be others!.

Back
Top Bottom