I felt like a real Detectorist today!

Ace400

Ok, it was yesterday, but I'm just getting around to posting it now. Hadn't been out for a few weeks because I've been to busy working on a Disc Golf course I'm installing (Redesigned and building) at the State Park I detect at most of the times I go out.

As soon as I got there I found the 2 tokens about ten feet apart. Only found one token before that.

After about an hour of walking around and digging I hit a weird signal I hadn't ever heard or seen before. I wish I had taken better notice of what it sounded like and what #'s were on the screen because I found my first coin spill! I should have taken a picture before I grabbed it, but it was all stacked like that (horizontally) about 4" down in the ground. How does something like that happen?

A little while later I decided to head over to the totlot to see if there were any fresh drops, it's been unseasonably warm and I've seen people over there. On the way I found 2 buttons along the trail! They are in the middle of the middle photo with the pin back. The one that has the cloth back is neet, never seen one like that before. It even has a little piece of thread left.

Except for a couple of quarters I found on the way back to where I parked, everything else came from the totlot. The little butterfly charm (Maybe silver, it's not corroded like the jump ring connected to it), the bullet, and the GOLD! The gold tooth cap was right next to some sortof 4 seat seesaw type contraption so I can only imagine how it was lost...

Tokens, a coin spill, buttons and even Gold! Yup, I felt like a real Detectorist yesterday:D

Attachments

• IMAG8141.jpg
    IMAG8141.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG8162_1.jpg
    IMAG8162_1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMAG8160_1.jpg
    IMAG8160_1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 236
Coin spills usually happen by someone sitting on the ground, pocket wedges open and $$$ca-ching$$$...change spills out and the person takes off and doesn't notice.
I found a bit of a spill once before, much fresher drop but it was a pile of coins sitting horizontally and laying flat... These were on their sides stacked like they were in a coin roll that was laying horizontally in the ground... But all different denominations in a coin roll? And there was no remnant of a purse or roll or anything. Is this typical?

I found a bit of a spill once before, much fresher drop but it was a pile of coins sitting horizontally and laying flat... These were on their sides stacked like they were in a coin roll that was laying horizontally in the ground... But all different denominations in a coin roll? And there was no remnant of a purse or roll or anything. Is this typical?

Any number of things could have caused it, from being stepped on to run over with a lawn mower wheel. Just depends on how they fall and how they lean, could have also been a kid shoving change into the ground too. Wondering how it got there, stacked like that is part of the fun!

You had a terrific day detecting. There are more coins spills out there than you can imagine. Lot's of people swing right pass them without digging them thinking that they're junk targets.

beephead

I find the key blank interesting. Not many people would be carrying a key blank--a locksmith, maybe, but beyond that not likely. Interesting...
I was thinking that too! I have a bunch from when I was a kid that a locksmith gave me, I liked them because they were all different colors.

You had a terrific day detecting. There are more coins spills out there than you can imagine. Lot's of people swing right pass them without digging them thinking that they're junk targets.

beephead
Reeeeeeally wish I had paid more attention to the sounds and #'s! I was pretty sure I was going to dig up can slaw, but something just wasn't quite right...

Nice finds. It is always fun to find a coin spill...it helps to fill up the find pouch faster. And to mention, it sort of makes one's heart beat a little faster. Congrats on the gold too!

Congrats on a great hunt! I've found most of my spills at volleyball courts.
Like Sand volleyball? There are a couple of those in the park I hit but by the time I got my detector in December, they had been cleaned out. And I mean squeaky clean, not even any junk to scoop out. I've checked around the edges a little bit but haven't worked them too hard because they too seem to have been pretty well pounded.

My other spill, the much fresher one, was between a basketball court and its parking lot.

Great Find! Multidenom spills/stacks,slants are quite hard to discern for a detector...Like Beep said, to a detector, they register as scrap and are dismissed on account of these rigs are designed to accurately hit on a single coin target...So yeah, like gold chains, theres a lot of them out there that have probably had a coil overhead a time or two....

Location: Look for gentle slopes where a person would sit to watch a game or something...even on the flat where a person would sit with a good vantage point or something for the Fireworks or whatnot..where they would tuck their knees up to their chest and perhaps roll onto their back? Yep! Pocket spill! Popular gentle slopes seem to be the best locations......then you focus up on pocket spill sounding targets...

I found one similar to yours in January, vertical stack...and it was in a place it shouldnt have been that I have repeatedly gone over...right along a school door entrance...It was wrapped in a light tissue that you can see on the side of the hole there...Cladders like to hunt spills...thats where the money is!

We see some old silver spills show up from time to time..especially if theres a buff nickel in the mix, even a silver dollar would sound like complete scrap!

Imagine what a $20 gold coin would sound like with an Indian head Penny on top? Scrap!:laughing: Nice find there Ace! Multidenom spills teach a guy..I think you are right with that gold cap by the seesaws...imagine what happened there! Ouch! boom!

This is a thinking game..you are thinking about what your finds are telling you, so yeah..You are a detectorist alright!

Attachments

• jan 22-17-1.jpg
    jan 22-17-1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 135
  • jan 22-17-2.jpg
    jan 22-17-2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 135
You are a detectorist , congrats nice mix of finds , your lucky to be able to dig in a nice park , HH

Like Sand volleyball? There are a couple of those in the park I hit but by the time I got my detector in December, they had been cleaned out. And I mean squeaky clean, not even any junk to scoop out. I've checked around the edges a little bit but haven't worked them too hard because they too seem to have been pretty well pounded.

Yeah, sand volleyball, especially with grass sloped areas around mid-court. I dug stack after stack at a local sideline. And it's most certainly from people sitting and losing a bunch of coins at once, like someone said. Of course this isn't "the rule" or anything and it really could be any spectator area. I also found that soccer fields with surrounding runs or small hills to the woods are clad spill havens. Bored siblings run up and down these repeatedly and drop all sorts of loot, including multiple coins. HH!

Back
Top Bottom