Remember that enlistment bonus we gave you for serving our country...Ah yeah, we're kinda gonna need that back now...

According to the news this morning and the several articles I read about this on a dozen news sites this was not exactly planned but these vets weren't cared about much at the time either.

At the time they were having a lot of trouble hitting recruitment goals.
The recruiters knew the rules, some that were talked into reenlisting qualified for these bonuses legaly if they picked the right assignment, all others did not, but they started to tell more and more that they qualified to hit their quotas.
There was no blowback at first, no repercussions so they kept going and pretty soon if you were breathing you were told you qualified.
The biggest state with these illegal bonuses was California.
Now it is years later and the chickens have finally come home to roost.
The ones that caused it all, the recruiters and the ones above them that had to know they were wrong basically screwed over their fellow soldiers, their fellow human beings and ultimately their country since that was where the money was coming from and were never held accountable.
There was an article that I just read that said those accountable will be brought to justice but I am not holding my breath.

There needs to be something done about this, quickly, efficiently and finally.
Congress needs to act.
In these days of so much graft, so much govt. waste, so many millions of dollars being funneled into crooked pockets and businesses they need to do the right thing and pay these things off for the soldiers that were all victims in this debacle.
They took this money in good faith, were assured by who they thought were in charge it was on the up and up and now they have to pay the way too heavy price only because they were lied to.
This is a national disgrace...it would be for any sector of the public but for it to happen to the ones that fought and risked their lives for our freedoms it is especially heinous.

There will be big fallout from this, some will probably lose their lives because of the huge fine they are being told they all of a sudden acquired and are being threatened to pay back no matter what.
The slow moving paperwork and red tape that you have to put up with if you want to fight this is going to make things worse.

This is a great country...The time is now for people in charge to take care of this and show everyone how great we can really be when it counts.

Last edited:
I never went into the military... I had heard too many stories about how it actually is compared to how the recruiter painted it to be, so I avoided it like the plague. At the time, the first Iraq war was beginning and my friends were all signing up to go, and they did. But, I had long hair, and the recruiters would tease me and say "Come here let us cut off that hair." and I would say "You aren't cutting shiii" As I look back, I wonder if they had used a different approach if I might have joined too. Too late now, but they came at me the wrong way at the time...lol

Hopefully its all settled by now and they aren't going to gouge these people for their hard earned money , but what REALLY got me is they were charging interest !! :mad: Im a veteran so I know how the system works , if you are overpaid and someone catches it , unfortunately you will be giving that money back..... it really sucks but anyone in the service knows how this stuff works , though in this case its really extreme , most of these folks don't have that kind of money laying around. And to have the nerve to ask for interest as if it was a loan or something ? What were they thinking ?

One soldier has been billed since 2010 and from what I heard, already paid back $46,000 because he enlisted tour after tour. I have no idea how it has affected him or his family's finances, but it's rediculous.

Back
Top Bottom