Is it possible !

captbo

Hi friends I got a permission to hunt an old farm house in rural WV the last person to live on the place was in 1958, The house is in ruins although falling in on itself, there are sheet of metal roofing around on the ground. I hit the ground with high anticipation, and found only iron. I will go back!, but must say I am mildly disappointed I was running my AT Pro in Pro zero with 35 points of Iron disc. and hitting the Iron audio button as well. I did get a solid 75, and it was repeatable turn out to be a used up tube of some kind of sauve. ! as far as finds I have what looks like might be a small Hatchett head. I will go back and study what might have been paths of human travel like to and from the spring house or root cellar. ! HH

Cool! Yeah, I hunted an old torn down place Saturday, bulldozed and scattered...nails and iron popping off everywhere! I got into what used to be the far back yard and hit a 37 Wheatie and had high hopes for silver, but nope, just a few more copper memorial cents and one modern clad dime working that tragic mess!...It wore me out! But a guy just dont know until he makes a few passes right?
Mud

Congrats on the permission! Keep working it, those old home sites are typically very heavy with iron and old trash. A smaller coil is typically your friend in those types of locations.

Good luck. You'll need a lot of patience to work through all the scrap iron.

If my own experience with old farm houses is any indication, coins may be few and far between. In my area it seems the old farmers didn't have much money to start with and if a coin was dropped the time was taken to find it. :D

Think you have the right idea look for paths , any area that looks like it may have had activity . A place near a old tree for picnic table or tent, trees ,poles likely spots for clothes line , spot close where the car was parked. Sometimes you can see rock borders from gardens . Think like a kid playing around the yard , sitting in the shade playing knife , marbles, a good tree for climbing . Just a few idea's, Good Luck
HH

If my own experience with old farm houses is any indication, coins may be few and far between. In my area it seems the old farmers didn't have much money to start with and if a coin was dropped the time was taken to find it. :D

I've had the same experiences. You have to keep in mind that these old farms didn't have a need to keep much money around. They raised their own food and made most of the things they needed. Awesome for relic hunting, but if it's coins you're after, the houses in town are usually the ones holding them.

I've had the same experiences. You have to keep in mind that these old farms didn't have a need to keep much money around. They raised their own food and made most of the things they needed. Awesome for relic hunting, but if it's coins you're after, the houses in town are usually the ones holding them.
That's right about the houses in town - and the fact that almost every old schoolhouse or abandoned homestead out in the country has been detected, whether one thinks it's virgin or not. They can still be worth the effort.

So many of these older home sites and old high people traffic areas can have decent potential.

We just have to get out there and swing. Anything can be anyplace.

I was told when I started, that a place like this is all about being repetitive. Just keep working it until all that junk is thinning out and the better stuff will "most likely" start showing itself. But just like life I guess, ya never know, sometimes your just dealt with sh** and you have to make a change. :lol: (new spot)

If you think there's good stuff hidden under all that rusty iron, it might be worth it to you to start digging the iron. If it were me, I would start by marking off a 5 or 10 foot square and dig every signal in that square until you've found everything. If you found some good stuff, you could use the same approach to another spot, and so on. I've had good experiences with this technique but it's a lot of work. Still, sometimes you get what you work for and the pile of rusty junk at the end is kinda gratifying in it's own way. I call this the "brute force" technique.

Like several others have already said, the above has been my experience too. Don't write it off just yet though. I've found some really neat things around the old rural home sites that I've been able to hunt, but to date, I've yet to find a coin.

I got permission to hunt around an old restaurant that was in business in the 40-50s and was expecting to find a ton of bottle caps, forks and spoons and lots of coins. Sadly I have recovered a dog tag (owner's daughter's dog), one spoon, 3 pennies and a silver dime. And LOTS of iron and scrap metal. So don't worry. It's all part of the game.

Back
Top Bottom