Advice on cleaning IH

BaileyLBC

Was hoping for some direction on cleaning this coin. I am confident its an Indian cent because of the location it was found, the way it rang up on my machine, thickness and patina.

I had soaked it for about 24 hours in peroxide, the dirt is reaally caked on, a fair amount has come off. Worried I may be doing more damage then good at this point.

Suggestions?

With your previous experience would you recommend chucking this in an ice cube tray or olive oil?

Time is of no concern, happy to let this sit for weeks in whatever makes sense if thats the best avenue.

I have watched a few youtube videos but wanted to see what the experts here thought :D

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 331
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 330
Was hoping for some direction on cleaning this coin. I am confident its an Indian cent because of the location it was found, the way it rang up on my machine, thickness and patina.

I had soaked it for about 24 hours in peroxide, the dirt is reaally caked on, a fair amount has come off. Worried I may be doing more damage then good at this point.

Suggestions?

With your previous experience would you recommend chucking this in an ice cube tray or olive oil?

Time is of no concern, happy to let this sit for weeks in whatever makes sense if thats the best avenue.

I have watched a few youtube videos but wanted to see what the experts here thought :D

Any input would be appreciated.

throw it in some olive oil and forget about it for near future...in a few weeks start toothpickin it resoak/repeat

try anything you want. If you can't see a date, it's a worth bronze disc until it's cleaned. You won't be hurting any value. Try boiling it. Try freezing it. Hit it with a few minutes of electrolysis, smack it with a hammer.

IHs often corrode very, very, bad in the soil. You can often clean them enough to see date and details but they will never be a good looking coin again, they have had too much surface corrosion. BTW, it's not dirt on it, it's surface corrosion.

try anything you want. If you can't see a date, it's a worth bronze disc until it's cleaned. You won't be hurting any value. Try boiling it. Try freezing it. Hit it with a few minutes of electrolysis, smack it with a hammer.

IHs often corrode very, very, bad in the soil. You can often clean them enough to see date and details but they will never be a good looking coin again, they have had too much surface corrosion. BTW, it's not dirt on it, it's surface corrosion.

thanks guys! still have some cleaning up to do but ended up pulling a date, 1893, cleaning up quite nice.

I would use electrolysis. I'm currently zapping an 1875 IH that is crusted with some kind of tar. Yours looks like it would clean up faster than mine is taking. BTW, it will take probably take more than a few minutes. More like a few hours or more. It is sometimes hard to guess, until you get it bubbling for a while.

I just used dish soap on my IH then I let is soak in the soapy water for a day or so finally scrub it with a toothbrush. My coin is not perfectly clean but it is recognizable.

Back
Top Bottom