Civil War Hunting

ERHCollector

Forum Supporter
I just moved to Virginia and would love to find my first civil war relic. I have seen tons of folks post on here about finding bullets and the likes. Any recommendations on where to start or how to go about this? I got my MD two years ago but military deployments and the likes have precluded me from using it really. Now I am looking to get into it. Appreciate any tips or advice.

I just moved to Virginia and would love to find my first civil war relic. I have seen tons of folks post on here about finding bullets and the likes. Any recommendations on where to start or how to go about this? I got my MD two years ago but military deployments and the likes have precluded me from using it really. Now I am looking to get into it. Appreciate any tips or advice.

Welcome to the forum. Finding folks that will share their places to find relics might be as hard as finding hens teeth!

Advice would be to find homesteads or farms where you can ask permission and maybe find a virgin spot without asking anyone to give up one of their spots. Unfortunately finds are getting scarcer in the hard hit areas and I don't know of anyone that is willing to give up a spot unless they think absolutely nothing is left to be found.

I hope you find some great places to hit. Research and door knocking might be your very best approach. Good Luck!!

I am starting to see that, and actually that is rather disheartening, what is the point of a forum and community if people are not willing to help others and teach them. Guess trial and error are the only ways to figure anything out and hope for the best.

Appreciate the feedback. I will give it a shot, and see what I find.

I am starting to see that, and actually that is rather disheartening, what is the point of a forum and community if people are not willing to help others and teach them. Guess trial and error are the only ways to figure anything out and hope for the best.

Appreciate the feedback. I will give it a shot, and see what I find.

People are willing to help and to teach. However giving up a hard earned spot or one they researched goes beyond that. I am POSITIVE if you found a virgin civil war spot on your own and you asked to be taught or want help, you would get TONS of people willing to teach you and help you clear out your researched spot.

As I stated. The well known legal spots to hunt are probably as hammered as hammered could be and you would be lucky to find a sliver of lead.

I water hunt and I will be happy to take some to my regular haunts. Taking them to places I did hard research on, well lets say as soon as someone takes me to one of their spots I would return the favor.

Once a civil war spot is cleaned out or an old beach is cleaned out of old gold and silver, it is time to move on to happier hunting grounds.

If I am wrong here PLEASE someone speak up!! Over 100 views and I seem to be the only one willing to comment.

I know that there are some metal detecting clubs in northern VA, at least one of them being pretty prominent. If I were in the same situation as you, I would see about joining one. That might be worth a try.

I know that there are some metal detecting clubs in northern VA, at least one of them being pretty prominent. If I were in the same situation as you, I would see about joining one. That might be worth a try.

I sent them a note, looks like their website was slightly out of date. I have not heard anything back as of yet

Welcome to the forum.Talk to the old timers in your town.They know things and tell stories that you can't research online or from books.A little conversation can open the door to little known local history and maybe even permissions to hunt.Pick their brains a little,you'll be surprised at what they'll reveal.GL HH

I'm kind of wondering what's going to happen with Civil War sites, considering the current movement to erase all things related to the Confederacy, after that church mass murder. I could understand removing the flag, shouldn't have been flown on government land, since they lost/surrendered. But, it's not stopping at flags, they are removing 100 year old statues, painting over murals, that had been there for decades, renaming schools, renaming sports teams. The one that really bothers me, is they want to destroy the giant raised relief on Stone Mountain in Georgia. Aside from the subject matter, it's a magnificent work of art, and human achievement. Just wondering if some of those protected historic battle sites, will also be 'erased' from history, and re-allocated, or opened up for public recreation (metal detecting).

Think we learn and grow strong, from our past mistakes and failures. Pretending it never happened, will only lead to future generations making the same or similar mistakes.

It'll be tough to find legal, and productive sites, the war ended a very long time ago. Most document places related to the war, have been hit pretty hard, not just with metal detectors, but archeologist, and most every child, through senior citizen poking around in the bushes in the active areas. Also got to figure that the population has grown, construction has claimed a lot of that land over the decades.

Just to make it clear. People will help but they will not take you to a good spot if you have not extended the olive branch. Here's an example.... I have spent thousands of dollars in books, maps, 1000s of hours in research, 1000s of dollars and hundreds of hours driving, knocking, bribing and pleading. You have to get in there and do it. It just is the way it is. Don't be discouraged it just takes time. Do the legwork talk with people and show them you bring something to the table... People will open up eventually. I'm not being a dick just telling you how to get help...Now that being said you can pm me and I can help you, but you'll have to go get the permission. If it pans out a simple invite will suffice as an olive branch. good Luck.

Just to make it clear. People will help but they will not take you to a good spot if you have not extended the olive branch. Here's an example.... I have spent thousands of dollars in books, maps, 1000s of hours in research, 1000s of dollars and hundreds of hours driving, knocking, bribing and pleading. You have to get in there and do it. It just is the way it is. Don't be discouraged it just takes time. Do the legwork talk with people and show them you bring something to the table... People will open up eventually. I'm not being a dick just telling you how to get help...Now that being said you can pm me and I can help you, but you'll have to go get the permission. If it pans out a simple invite will suffice as an olive branch. good Luck.

Thanks. some good advice. I am trying to figure out some spots to look and learn the craft, not trying to infringe or encroach on someone's hard work just trying to learn the ropes. Will let you all know how it pans out.

I'm sure someone would take you out buddy. But be respectful to there spot. Many of us have been burned by people. Do some research & door knocking on your own. You very well might be surprised what you find. HH TIM

Latin saying

Quid Pro Quo

Means something for something, offer a spot of your own and I'm sure they'll offer a spot of theirs, it's how it works. :)

I've started to get more into Civil War hunting than anything else in the last year or so. There's nothing like finding something you can tie to a specific battle that took place over 150 years ago. I don't get out as much as some of the relic hunters on the forum but I try to maximize my time out with quality locations. I've been lucky that my job enables me to get out and meet a lot of people in NW Georgia which like your area is rich in CW history. When I meet a client that happens to be near an area that has a known CW history I always end up getting into a discussion of the rich history of the area in small talk and eventually into a discussion of my hobby. It's amazing how people will open up to you if you show a genuine passion for the hobby. I've been able to get into some private property sites that are literally right next to protected CW battlefields. It just increases my odds that I will find something. Referrals are also key. You never know who your contacts might know. The problem is that they won't be talking to that friend of theirs who owns a great property to hunt if you don't convey to them your passion for relic hunting. Just some things to think about. Good luck and look me up of you're ever in North Georgia!

Most of the places that I have found to hunt aren't identified on any maps as campsites.If you are aware of troop movements in a certain area,just look for an open field and make a few passes with your detector.The beauty of open field hunting is that,usually,there is little modern trash to contend with.I try to dig everything non-ferrous and often I am surprised by my finds.If you're lucky you might stumble upon a virgin campsite!

Most of the places that I have found to hunt aren't identified on any maps as campsites.If you are aware of troop movements in a certain area,just look for an open field and make a few passes with your detector.The beauty of open field hunting is that,usually,there is little modern trash to contend with.I try to dig everything non-ferrous and often I am surprised by my finds.If you're lucky you might stumble upon a virgin campsite!

Thank you, I have my eye on a field close to my house, right now sown with corn so waiting for them to harvest and I intend to go talk to them about hunting there. Appreciate the advice.

Just pm me I will give you my number and some advice if you need it.

Thanks. some good advice. I am trying to figure out some spots to look and learn the craft, not trying to infringe or encroach on someone's hard work just trying to learn the ropes. Will let you all know how it pans out.

My two cents on the matter is to try and meet up with two other relic hunters with the idea of becoming a small unit which research, leg work, share travel expenses and then hunt together regular. The group of three that I was a part of back in the early 80' thru the early 2000's worked out very well. How to find some partners? First you need to do some research and leg work and find your own small spot. Mean while begin looking for the other partners. Where to look? Here on this forum; find a local metal detector store and make frequent stops to talk to other customers. Ask the store owner who he might know. Join a club as already mention. Find and attend a meeting of a close by Civil War Reenactment Unit and attend any Reenactment Production. A lot of these members also metal detect. It might take some time but if you meet someone you like and trust and you have a spot you can take them to it just might pay off for you in the long run.

Acey

Must Be Karma!

After searching a large bean field with minimal results,I decided to check a smaller field across the road.I usually just make an X on the first pass and it wasn't until I got to the back corner that I got my first good signal,a chewed .54 three ringer.Afew steps later, an infantry coat button!It was on from there!These are last weeks finds from this one field,obviously a virgin campsite!Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 293
Back
Top Bottom