New members first day with the AT PRO.

Mr. Yoyo trader

Sold my ACE 250 last Monday as my AT Pro as coming in on Tuesday. Spend 6 hours swing this morning and another hour and a half tonight. It is a different animal. Dug pretty much everything this morning. Still getting fooled with some bottle tops, but when it locks on to a coin, it locks on. Very stable, depth seems a little of as with most MDs. Ran it in Pro mode on Zero with the sensitive one back of max and Iron dis on. It is a nosey machine. One nice thing is the way you can switch back and forth in the modes to see what each s reading on a target. So far liking it very much. It seems to ghost a lot( single high ping). Can anyone comment on it the ghosting. What I mean is it will give a single high ping on a sweep will reading above 70s. Here is a picture of today's finds(2.08 cents). One nice thing about the AT Pro, you will dig less trash. tim
IMG_1369.jpg

Sold my ACE 250 last Monday as my AT Pro as coming in on Tuesday. Spend 6 hours swing this morning and another hour and a half tonight. It is a different animal. Dug pretty much everything this morning. Still getting fooled with some bottle tops, but when it locks on to a coin, it locks on. Very stable, depth seems a little of as with most MDs. Ran it in Pro mode on Zero with the sensitive one back of max and Iron dis on. It is a nosey machine. One nice thing is the way you can switch back and forth in the modes to see what each s reading on a target. So far liking it very much. It seems to ghost a lot( single high ping). Can anyone comment on it the ghosting. What I mean is it will give a single high ping on a sweep will reading above 70s. Here is a picture of today's finds(2.08 cents). One nice thing about the AT Pro, you will dig less trash. tim
IMG_1369.jpg

Tim,
Noticed the same thing w/ the high ping in the 70s and 80s. Then I go back to find it and can't locate it again.

Rich

I run mine wide open ALL the time unless there is either buried electrical lines or near any metal structures like buildings, bleechers, and playground equipment.

Sometimes that ping maybe a second target. That you may have iron + something else or at times, 2 pieces of iron and it might see it as 1 for a second and give you that false ping.

But from my experience, I try different angles or really slowing down on this target just to be sure.

I dug alot of trash in the beginning trying to learn the VDI numbers.

I run mine wide open ALL the time unless there is either buried electrical lines or near any metal structures like buildings, bleechers, and playground equipment.

Sometimes that ping maybe a second target. That you may have iron + something else or at times, 2 pieces of iron and it might see it as 1 for a second and give you that false ping.

But from my experience, I try different angles or really slowing down on this target just to be sure.

I dug alot of trash in the beginning trying to learn the VDI numbers.

Yea that's where I am now , learning the VDI numbers. Beer caps and cans I found come in between 75-85, This is where I need to learn better as all my clad comes in around this area too.

Indian head cents...67 to 77
copper pennies.......79 to 82
zinc pennies...........70 to 77
nickels...................51 to 53 (53 95% of the time)
dimes....................79 to 85 depending on wear (mostly 82-84)
quarters................88 to 90 (99% of the time 90)

silver dimes 82 to 86
silver quarters 88 to 92

small silver rings........80 to 82
large silver rings........88 to 95:D

gold....my finds....47 to 56 (5 rings from 10K to 14K)

But remember these numbers are a range and what you need is a steady repeatable number. A good target's number shouldn't bounce around too much.

And listen, in pro mode, to what sounds your machine is making.

Also, quarter spills have given me a good 94 or 95 but "sounded" right.

Listen don't look

When I land hunt I find it could be 3 things mostly:
1. When you hit a large rusty nail, you will hear iron then a high tone screech. It is probably the result of the nail head shooting you to a high number.
2. It might be iron covering a good target.
3. Zincolns or a coin at an angle.

Turn iron audio off if it's too noisy. When you hear a high tone, turn it back on and sweep again. What is your disc at? Keep you ears open and eyes on the target. Don't look at the VDIs constantly.
Right now, this is all I can think of. Good luck

Indian head cents...67 to 77
copper pennies.......79 to 82
zinc pennies...........70 to 77
nickels...................51 to 53 (53 95% of the time)
dimes....................79 to 85 depending on wear (mostly 82-84)
quarters................88 to 90 (99% of the time 90)

silver dimes 82 to 86
silver quarters 88 to 92

small silver rings........80 to 82
large silver rings........88 to 95:D

gold....my finds....47 to 56 (5 rings from 10K to 14K)

But remember these numbers are a range and what you need is a steady repeatable number. A good target's number shouldn't bounce around too much.

And listen, in pro mode, to what sounds your machine is making.

Also, quarter spills have given me a good 94 or 95 but "sounded" right.

The same but Quarters mainly ring up as a 86 for clad and 88 for silver for some reason. Yes some clad rings up as 88 but most ring up as 86.

Helpful post

This is exactly the kind of post that is helpful to a new user! Concise and detector specific. I have an ATP on the way..................metalwrkr

For the ghost sigs make sure your cable is not flopping on the shaft and the first turn of the cable around the shaft is over it, not under.

I didn't learn that one for a couple months, lol. :roll:

Also when auto ground balancing once it settles manually drop it 2 or 3 points. Mine seems to land on 89 to 91 around here and I run it at 86-88 most of the time.

One more thing I may get howled at for is in my opinion this machine has plenty of depth, more than I feel like digging every time I go out!

I acesses the situation and adjust the sensitivity for the hunt.
For example most of the lakes around here have 5 to 7 inches of sand on top of a hard layer of gravel, shells or peat. I don't need 12 inches of depth in those.
The target is right there, it can't sink further. I set it 3 or 4 bars under max.

In Lake Michigan I run it balls out full sensitivity as the sand depth is going to vary even in the same hole. Deep targets are the norm.

In the dirt once again adjust to the area. In the sandy soil near my cabin silver and clad is around 5 inches deep, thats it. No need for max there.

Around my house in the clay clad is 4 inches and old silver is @ 8 to 12 inches deep so time again for the max.
Its not every day I feel like digging 10 minutes in the dirt and clay for every high tone target.

Good luck you have a great machine, you will love it!

Last edited:
If you are hunting a highly mineralized beach you may get falseing on it no matter what your setting.

It's a Garrett thing, but not a slam.

ATPro is a great machine everywhere except highly mineralized soil.

If you are hunting a highly mineralized beach you may get falseing on it no matter what your setting.

It's a Garrett thing, but not a slam.

ATPro is a great machine everywhere except highly mineralized soil.

I agree. The beaches up here are not AT Pro friendly.

Negatively ground balancing a few notches seems to work for me in the surf,runs smooth,
chatters alot during electrical storms.

Back
Top Bottom