Dangerous Park

Silversmith45

Elite Member
For almost forty years, I have been detecting a park near me. I have known for a long time that this isn't the best neighborhood. Yesterday as I went to the park it was blocked off by over ten police cars. Later I found out that they had found a body propped up against one of the picnic tables. Maybe it's time to start carrying a pistol with me while detecting after all.

For almost forty years, I have been detecting a park near me. I have known for a long time that this isn't the best neighborhood. Yesterday as I went to the park it was blocked off by over ten police cars. Later I found out that they had found a body propped up against one of the picnic tables. Maybe it's time to start carrying a pistol with me while detecting after all.

If you can, you should.

Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it, in my opinion.

surely that happened at night though, yeah? i wouldn't think broad daylight produced such things. still, if you can, i sure as heck would. that's crazy talk here in ca but i do realize other parts of our great nation are still sane. :D

No place is 100% safe. Carrying a gun is no guarantee you'll make it out safely if you get into a confrontation with would be thugs/criminals. If things are that bad at the location, probably best to find another that's safer.

...... Maybe it's time to start carrying a pistol with me while detecting after all.

If legal and you are competent you probably should do so.
Sad state of the world today, but i carry everywhere i am legally allowed to do so. Which is pretty much everywhere i detect except for schoolyards.
Stay Safe.

Get armed and get trained folks! A lot of crazies out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Wichita is a big city

Must be plenty of safe space elsewhere......If you want to hunt there I recommend Walther Creed as a hunting partner.

No place is 100% safe. Carrying a gun is no guarantee you'll make it out safely if you get into a confrontation with would be thugs/criminals. If things are that bad at the location, probably best to find another that's safer.

This is the rational solution. Guns are worthless if you're on your knees digging a hole and someone comes up behind you and cracks you in the back of the head. Now he's got your wallet, your metal detector AND your gun for his next robbery. Forget about the macho John Wayne act. Find a safer place to detect.

Stay safe out there!

Also, watch out for needles in some of these parks. There's a possibility of coming across some even in the suburbs. Very dangerous for those in the hobby.

This is the rational solution. Guns are worthless if you're on your knees digging a hole and someone comes up behind you and cracks you in the back of the head. Now he's got your wallet, your metal detector AND your gun for his next robbery. Forget about the macho John Wayne act. Find a safer place to detect.

Situational awareness. Whether you have a gun or not, situational awareness is the key. It's not about "macho John Wayne act" as you put it, it's about being prepared...of which comes situational awareness.

this is correct! always be aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to act to
defend your life,OR "displace" yourself from the scene!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Get those “military grade” sun glasses they sell on tv. You can see them coming a mile away ! N:laughing:

I hate to give security advise without a thorough assessment, but my initial take is to perform a cost/benefit analysis. Is there anything in that park worth risking your life over? I *never* recommend a firearm as a security augment unless the person is aquatinted and proficient. As already mentioned, situational awareness is key, and you’re better off walking away at the first hint of trouble.

I had an incident at a Walmart late last week. Two guys were harassing a woman for wearing a mask as she left the store. I monitored the situation and happened to be packing. I was prepared to insert myself (masked) between her and them if they had chosen to accost her. Fortunately, they saw me giving them the stink-eye and decided to move along. This brings up the concept that do you want to find yourself in a position that you have to point a firearm at another person? Does possessing a weapon compel you stand up for justice? And besides, I worked law enforcement in the military, how does one tell the good guy with a gun vs the bad guy with a gun?

So what’s my point? Carrying a firearm is a defensive move, but be aware of the mission creep that comes with it. If a place is getting too sketchy to hang around, I find new places to visit. “Annie get your gun” just isn’t good advice when everyone is looking for justification to shoot everyone else.

Situational awareness. Whether you have a gun or not, situational awareness is the key. It's not about "macho John Wayne act" as you put it, it's about being prepared...of which comes situational awareness.

So every time you're digging a hole, you're looking around just in case someone wants to bash you in the head? Really? Do you have one hand on your digger and the other on your gun? Uh huh. Right.

Well a guns a good idea that's why they call it coin shooting. sube

Well a guns a good idea that's why they call it coin shooting. sube

Speaking of coin shooting, some jerk shot the 1936 two shilling coin I found last week! Not nice!

Attachments

• img_8755 (2).jpg
    img_8755 (2).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 641
I hate to give security advise without a thorough assessment, but my initial take is to perform a cost/benefit analysis. Is there anything in that park worth risking your life over? I *never* recommend a firearm as a security augment unless the person is aquatinted and proficient. As already mentioned, situational awareness is key, and you’re better off walking away at the first hint of trouble.

I had an incident at a Walmart late last week. Two guys were harassing a woman for wearing a mask as she left the store. I monitored the situation and happened to be packing. I was prepared to insert myself (masked) between her and them if they had chosen to accost her. Fortunately, they saw me giving them the stink-eye and decided to move along. This brings up the concept that do you want to find yourself in a position that you have to point a firearm at another person? Does possessing a weapon compel you stand up for justice? And besides, I worked law enforcement in the military, how does one tell the good guy with a gun vs the bad guy with a gun?

So what’s my point? Carrying a firearm is a defensive move, but be aware of the mission creep that comes with it. If a place is getting too sketchy to hang around, I find new places to visit. “Annie get your gun” just isn’t good advice when everyone is looking for justification to shoot everyone else.

Maybe the best message I have ever read about guns.

I have my gun, and thank God I never needed it

It could be a serial killer making a public display. I saw that on a TV show once.

Be careful.

Back
Top Bottom