Please Help with detector choice

Ajruger

I have been scouring over this forum and youtube all day to the point that my eyes and brain are hurting and am torn on what detector to get. I have been looking hard at the AT pro/max. Teknetics also has some I am interested in. Equinox seems off the list cause I cant find one anywhere and Fisher F75 and patriot look decent as well. I am no expert on the matter and just do it for fun with the wife to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Forgot to mention Whites detectors too.

Last edited:
Hi -

I am by no means an expert, but I went through the same process not to long ago. I was considering the AT Pro and the Max. I ultimately went with the AT MAX for a little more to have wireless. Was it the “right choice” or the “best”, I think that is subjective as you will get lots of opinions.

For me.....I really like it for what I am doing.

I have been scouring over this forum and youtube all day to the point that my eyes and brain are hurting and am torn on what detector to get. I have been looking hard at the AT pro/max. Teknetics also has some I am interested in. Equinox seems off the list cause I cant find one anywhere and Fisher F75 and patriot look decent as well. I am no expert on the matter and just do it for fun with the wife to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Forgot to mention Whites detectors too.
If you want to hunt in water or live in an area with rain or snow, get a waterproof detector like the ATP. The at max is the upgrade and give you both auto and manual ground balance which helps if you hunt in an area with mineralized soil. Now if you want to hunt ocean beaches, that is a whole other ball game. Visit the beach section and the top thread has a guide for selecting salt water machines

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback. I am mostly going to be detecting in fields, woods and along rivers. May get in the water if the detector allows it. I think I have it down to the pro or max. Trying to decide if the max is worth the extra cost.
Thanks

Get the ATP and use the extra money on a good pin pointer ex Garrett carrot ( waterproof same as ATP 10' ) and digger or detecting shovel 31" is a nice length. Lots of stuff has been found with the ATP. Start in your yard. You'll be surprised what's down there. Check YouTube for videos on use.

I appreciate the feedback. I am mostly going to be detecting in fields, woods and along rivers. May get in the water if the detector allows it. I think I have it down to the pro or max. Trying to decide if the max is worth the extra cost.
Thanks
Yes! The all metal mode gains noticeable depth. Be sure to "call" the forum sponsors . They give special "verbal" quotes to forum members. The link to the forum sponsors is in the top right corner of the screen.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Years ago your question

Would have been relatively easy to answer but not today. There is almost no end to the number of capable detectors out there it seems.

Of course the newest on the market is always the best until another "best" comes along so beware of marketing hype in choosing the detector that fits your needs.

While almost all will find stuff you might consider the following:

WEIGHT:

If you throw hay bales, do a lot of pushups, practice gymnastics, rope climbing, or otherwise have no shoulder or back issues the fact that some detectors can weigh 5 lbs or more might not mean anything to you but... if your rotator cuff won't rotate? or if your back won't get back in action? You might want to look at the 2 pound model.

COMPLEXITY:

Detectors today can have more computing power than Buzz and the boys had to go to the moon with or.. some just beep which allows you to free up your mind while hunting to look at the cows in the pasture, scenery on a beautiful day, or keep an eye out if you're hunting on the wrong side of town.

Today's high tech computer wonders can tell you where you are on planet earth with screens and numbers and squeaks and whistles that would make r2d2 envious. They will tell you how deep, how big, if it's iron, silver, kryptonite, or the hubcap from a 1952 Desoto. I've not heard of anyone walking into traffic or off a cliff that I know of while trying to interpret what these types of detectors are saying but I suppose it's possible.

One thing they won't do though is tell you whether or not that 900 lb cow behind you has balls. You have to figure that one out on your own.

So, Beeper or Starwars?? either one will get the job done.

COST:

I don't think in 20+ years of detecting that I've ever seen used detectors priced as cheap as they are today. You can buy a really great machine for cheap for sure and I would really suggest looking closely at the opportunity. Or...

You can choose from a new machine moderately priced around $300 bucks plus to one that you might have to put your house up for to get a loan to buy. The choice is strictly yours but try to remember that a good used beeper is a stepchild to past detectors that have made all those great and wonderful finds over years past.

Personally? I still like to be surprised when the target comes out of the ground rather than looking at a picture on the screen of maybe a 1944 war nickle with a mis strike on the date? but that's just me.

In closing? I truly believe an Octopus would make the best detectorist of all time!! Most of us probably have more detectors than we need but who else could actually swing eight of them at the same time?? Just sayin...

Last edited:
I just got a Whites MX Sport and love it !!! Waterproof, sensitive, and deep !!! I have always loved the way Whites machines ID'ed coins so for me the choice was go with what I know or try something that was virtually untested in the field. I went with the MX Sport and do not regret it one bit !!!

Thanks

If you hunt at night,definitely worth the Backlight.And volume control too.The audio isn’t as good on the at max as it is on the at pro in my opinion but the extra features make up for it.And totally wireless headphones,they sound good and feel good on the at max..

I want to thank y’all for your input and suggestions. I just placed an order for the AT max. I am excited to see what this thing can do.

Back
Top Bottom