How much jewelry is really lost?

zeemang

Forum Supporter
I've always been curious about this... Does anyone have an idea of items lost per let's say 100 or 1000 people at a beach? I'd like to think something like maybe 1 in 100 looses a coin, maybe 1 in 1000 loses a ring, and it takes about 5 rings found to get a gold for me, so maybe one in every 5000 loses a gold ring or thereabouts... Or who knows, maybe it's one in 50,000...
I have nothing to base this on, but i'm sure everyone has their own ideas....
Thoughts?

I've always been curious about this... Does anyone have an idea of items lost per let's say 100 or 1000 people at a beach? I'd like to think something like maybe 1 in 100 looses a coin, maybe 1 in 1000 loses a ring, and it takes about 5 rings found to get a gold for me, so maybe one in every 5000 loses a gold ring or thereabouts... Or who knows, maybe it's one in 50,000...
Thoughts?

I'd say it's closer to 1 in 10 loses a coin, and maybe 1 in 250 loses a piece of jewelery (mostly junk), and 1 in 1000 or so loses a piece of gold or silver. So many women will go to the beach to get a tan, take off the jewelery and set it on the towel to not get tan lines, then forget about it.

Around here I think it averages 1 piece of jewelry lost per 100 detectorists hunting the beach. Honestly, I have wondered this a little. I came to three possible conclusions 1) The beaches around here aren't as good for finding jewelry as many others 2) I'm still not proficient enough w/ my detector to draw a valid conclusion 3) Not a clue!

NOT Much. Six hours today Got tons of Clad . No Gold , No Silver , Got a silver ring last week .

All I know is that they say there is more money in the world that is lost/buried than there is in current circulation!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I believe a lot more is lost than is found. That is what I hope for. Some day I will actually see erosion. Right now the only game in town is cover a lot of sand with a big coil. I want to see rocks on my beaches!!

I believe a lot more is lost than is found. That is what I hope for. Some day I will actually see erosion. Right now the only game in town is cover a lot of sand with a big coil. I want to see rocks on my beaches!!

I agree, I think much of it is not found. Erosion :lol:....My pal and I hit two of our usual spots today, both have given gold and silver in the past, today nuttin'. The beaches were flat and packed, just a few shells here and there, some scalloping but rocks?.........ha, I'd love to see gravel.

Zee we've discussed exactly what you mention and who knows. We get something like 1 million visitors here, multiply that by days they spend on the beach and then all the years that have passed, even making a modest guess..........that's a lot of coins and jewelry. Of course with all the beach replenishment and the real lack of storms lately...........but from what I've seen you've been doing not too bad, you and Canadian guy :wow:

Last edited:
Just think of the time and fuel that could be saved if every beach goer would just send me one piece of jewelry !

Thoughts?
I'd have to say that it depends on how much time people spend in the water. On a hot day they stay longer in the water and lose more. HH!

I dont think you can put a number or percentage to it and if you could it would still vary from location to location , region to region , or even beach to beach. Just accept that wherever people have been they have left something behind. The better question to ask is how early do I have to get there in order to beat the others to the good stuff. ;)

bling.

While I doubt the numbers could be calculated, what I am learning from experience is location is everything. If you're in a blue collar red neck, rural town........you won't find as much as a rich white collar metropolitan area. Rich people in big cities spend money on bling.........poor people in rural areas do not.

If you're in a wealthy small town, you'll probably still find more than in a large poor town.

So right...

I've been MDing for a couple years now and every so often I get this shocking picture in my mind of just how much money is out there just laying around.

I mean, I mostly hunt over lunch at parks near my office, and I've been hitting the same parks for almost two years now. I rarely come home with less than a dollar. And I can't even say that I'm carefully gridding the place, and these aren't even well used parks, nor have they been around for long (maybe 30 years).

Pretty much all I'm finding is clad, and I'm not killing it out there, but if I can sustain $1 per hour in these parks....my mind spins when I think about all that is actually lost. Gotta be a lot.

Second that bro. Teach me the Soverign Shuffle !
:cool12:

Im told by old timers one in a thousand will lose some jewelry or was it one in a hundred?...oh well this is where I hunt. This photo was taken on 4th of july I should get there around midnight....looking forward to it.

coney-crowds_1674584i.jpg

How many pull tabs you think im gonna dig?
Personally I don't understand how those people go in after the SH@T I pull out of there. I fear going in without my waders. Seriously! And please know that this beach gets hit REALLY hard by guys that actually do shifts. I tend to stay out of the HOT areas even though i only hunted it in the winter I found plenty off the beaten path. That's just the way I like it.

After looking at this picture, I didn't notice the people wearing much bling. Do they find a lot of jewelry there? It might be a good beach for clad.

Guys do well there. I have yet to work the summer but winter was pretty good for me. I figure has to be about a thousand wedding rings in that photo. And yea Ive seen some big bling..seems like it's popular with rappers... :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom