Found the biggest coin I’ve ever seen!

sandgroper

Elite Member
The other day I went out for a couple of hours. I had found a few old homesites on google maps, and two parks nearby, so I decided to head there, starting off with the house sites. Got a lot of good signals on the first site, but most turned out to be molten aluminium pieces. Got a few modern coins and also a US quarter (1987 I believe). So I moved onto the house site next door (fence wasn’t there anymore), and right in the middle of the site (where the house must’ve stood), I got this massive 1972 $1 coin. These things are huge! :wow: Couldn’t imagine carrying one with me if they were used here. Are these common finds over in the US? It’s my first so I was quite happy about finding something interesting.

Anyway, there were another two house sites on the way to the park, so I hunted a good proportion of both with nothing much to show apart from a bag full of trash (at least copper is $6 per kilo now :lol:). There was a lemon tree at the last house site so I took one lemon (might as well, it’d probably get removed once the site gets built on again). By now two hours had past and all I had was the US $1 coin, a few modern coins, a bag of junk and a lemon. Decided to hunt a few verges whilst walking to the park. Second verge yielded my first old coin (1955 penny), and also a cool Hollywood lipstick tube from the mid 1940’s. Sometime later I arrived at that park. There were lots of people playing cricket, so I headed to another nearby park which was just as full, only with parents and little children. So I was back to hunting verges, which wasn’t that bad because I found another penny (1948) and a 1951 silver sixpence.

I then returned to the first park and had lunch whilst the cricketers packed up their things. Once most had gone, I was up and swinging again. Got a 1952 penny and about $20 in loose change. Also tried a few verges across the park, and found a coin spill of two silver sixpence (1942 and another 1951). On the verge opposite this one I got heaps of great signals (12:40’s on the CTX). But most turned out to be old brass fittings. In amongst all these bits and pieces I did manage to find one silver; a 1947 florin! Haven’t found a big silver in a while, so even though this one is crusty (50% silver so relatively high copper content), I’m glad I finally got another one. :)

Thanks for looking, and as always, good luck out there! :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2785.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 735
Those Ike's are huge aren't they. I've got stacks of them on my desk that I shuffle like poker chips to keep my mind occupied.

BCD

Ive found fewer ike dollars than silver half dollars. They are scarce everywhere, Also are still in circulation! Ive only found 2 in 8 years, and they were only a few feet apart from each other at my daughter's elementary school. Excellent day out, congrats!

Great hunt and group shot! Yeah, those Big Ikes ... Ive only found one myself out of probably 50,000 coins...! And I'm a cladder, so it is indeed a rare find even here in the US! Good on ya Mate!

I happen to know where there is a Silver Dollar buried..

30+ years ago I stopped at Stateline between California and Nevada and me an a buddy got out of the car..

I stepped one step away from Nevada, still on the California side , took that dollar and threw if as far as I could over into Nevada and Shouted "Take that.. YOU are the LAST dollar I am going to lose this trip"

Got back into the car and we headed on 45 miles to Las Vegas..

30 minutes later we were heading back to California broke as a Joke having lost our rent money at the Craps tables..

Oh CRAPS !!

That's a lot of digging and a bunch of nice finds! Big Congrats!

beephead

Thanks beephead! :)

OMG are you now telling me I have to fly 9,000 miles to find my first American IKE Dollar coin.. geeze

Awesome finds Sandgroper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Thanks, well that coin travelled a long way then...

Those Ike's are huge aren't they. I've got stacks of them on my desk that I shuffle like poker chips to keep my mind occupied.

BCD

Yeah they're massive. I thought our Australian 50c coins are big, but this dollar is even bigger!

Ive found fewer ike dollars than silver half dollars. They are scarce everywhere, Also are still in circulation! Ive only found 2 in 8 years, and they were only a few feet apart from each other at my daughter's elementary school. Excellent day out, congrats!

Thank you. Didn't know you could still use them, I won't be using mine though. It's staying in the collection. :)

Congrats on a nice assortment of finds!

Thanks mate :)

Nice finds SG. I’ve only found one Ike so far. Not something you see everyday here either, even more so down under!

Thanks, never seen one before in real life so was pretty cool to dig one up.

Great hunt and group shot! Yeah, those Big Ikes ... Ive only found one myself out of probably 50,000 coins...! And I'm a cladder, so it is indeed a rare find even here in the US! Good on ya Mate!

Thank you Mud. Wow, but I guess they're pretty hard to lose in the grass (someone would probably see it before it goes under), or maybe they're just not that popular?

Ike dollars are rare digs even in the USA. I imagine even more so in Australia. Congrats on some very nice digging. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, I've found maybe a dozen US coins in Aus already, one of which is this dollar. Would love to know how it came over here.

Ive never found an ike dollar, its too big.

Yeah I suppose it'd be hard to lose a coin this big! :lol:

I happen to know where there is a Silver Dollar buried..

30+ years ago I stopped at Stateline between California and Nevada and me an a buddy got out of the car..

I stepped one step away from Nevada, still on the California side , took that dollar and threw if as far as I could over into Nevada and Shouted "Take that.. YOU are the LAST dollar I am going to lose this trip"

Got back into the car and we headed on 45 miles to Las Vegas..

30 minutes later we were heading back to California broke as a Joke having lost our rent money at the Craps tables..

Oh CRAPS !!

Interesting story! If you're ever in the area again you could try looking for it? :laughing:

Those huge dollar coins are rare! I found my first Ike this year. It is also very rare to see them in circulation. Nobody carries them slab coins around.
Congrats on finding that one! Hope your next US dollar coin is a silver one!

I’ve found one IKE but clad. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice finds. Congrats on the goodie's.....:yes:

Thanks CTCurt! :grin:

Great finds. Hey Sandgroper, check out this thread I posted a while ago. It will have new perspective now that you've found one of those huge Ikes.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=265833&highlight=Remarkable

Thank you! I remember you posting that...back then I was already amazed, but now that I realise how big these dollars actually are I'm even more surprised how someone can lose 7 of these disks and not notice! :lol:

Those huge dollar coins are rare! I found my first Ike this year. It is also very rare to see them in circulation. Nobody carries them slab coins around.
Congrats on finding that one! Hope your next US dollar coin is a silver one!

Thanks Foragist! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was a US dollar! I'd be happy with any US silver as I haven't found any yet (but the bigger the better ;))

I’ve found one IKE but clad. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Congratulations on some very good finds. Thanks for sharing with the pics.

Thank you Beachhunter! :)

I like Ike!

My brother and I used to get one apiece from grandma for our birthdays back in the 70’s. Of course, we’d spend ‘em! When I was roll hunting a few years back, I’d always ask the bank for Ike’s in hope of finding a peace or Morgan dollar. One time I turned down 160 of them because I was dumb.

If Ikes were used as pocket pieces, they probably fell through quite a few!

Now when I find ‘em, I give them to my buddy, who uses them for tips on his trips to the Caribbean.

I've found 4 in 3 years. One at a softball field, and the other 3 at elementary schools.

I kept the first one, but the others, just go through coinstar. :)

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom