completely useless post....sharing some embarrassment

StPetePaulie

So.....this is embarrassing.....wondering what other embarrassing stories are out there that anyone will admit to. Here's mine.

I was absolutely determined to get the target that I kept pushing deeper into the hole I'd been digging for 5 minutes. Obviously, it was going to be in the next scoop....or the one after that....It kept slipping deeper into the sand....but then I hit hard sand....no more soft sand for the target to hide in. Then I noticed out of the corner of my eye....the bag I put trash in dangling from my belt.....with a recently found aluminum can in it.....setting off my detector....no matter how deep I dug....I stoicly filled in my hole, shifted my trash bag towards the back of my ....well...of myself...and moved on....as if nothing had happened...because....if anyone ever asks....nothing did. ;)

Let's see....I've been knocked down a few times by waves and once tore my hamstring in the process, had my finds pouch come loose and fall off in the surf, lost my scoop in the raging waters more than once, found a fishook on a leader- stuffed it in my pouch (I thought) only to find it again with my big toe, had my wedding ring come off as I was removing my wetsuit but fortunately heard it hit the asphalt in the parking lot, threw away a whole day's worth of finds by accident in a bag I mistook for trash, cut up my feet from broken glass when hunting barefoot in the back bays and destroyed 2 cell phones that I had mistakenly left in my pocket before water hunting.
The more years that you metal detect the more chances you have to do stupid things! ;)

Nothing really embarrassing because I recovered it but I found a 9 gram old 18k wedding band which I took out of my finds pouch on my way home... I needed gas in my truck so I stopped and put the ring in my shirt pocket.. when I hot home no ring.. I had a hole in the shirt pocket and fell out... looked in truck no ring drove back to gas station and saw the ring near the pumps no one had found it which amazed me somewhat :lol:

Attachments

• user32_pic51590_1378427148.jpg
    user32_pic51590_1378427148.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 707
It's a beautiful hot summer day. Very small surf , decent slope and mid tide.1000s of people enjoying the day. Well , I have to go to the bathroom really BAD. And it's a #2. I know there is no way I can make it up the beach in time ( about 300 yards) to the restroom. So I toss my detector and scoop on the sand and strip down to my underwear and swim out about 20 yards past the frolicking people. I'm neck deep and pull my underwear down and release. Just my luck it was a floater. Imagine a log cabin floating on water. As I swam back I pretended nothing happened. But it felt like 250 people all staring at me. Put my shorts , shirt , bag on. Grabbed my detector and scoop and went back to detecting , pretending this is normal , like I do this all the time.

The more years that you metal detect the more chances you have to do stupid things! ;)

same holds true for living basically....like the time I spent 3 days removing and then replacing a fuel pump from an 80's oldsmobile I had...2 days spent repairing the things I broke on the way...finally pushed it to the garage a mile away (because I had no money left to get a tow)......and I didn't know what else to fix...the garage called me next day....said I owed them 5.00 for gas and for a new fuse to reconnect my gas guage.

Nothing really embarrassing :

you know....I think you might be holding a story or two back....and everyone knows that can't be good for a persons stress levels....holding all that in...:lol:

My knee replacement kept setting..........ah hell, must I go on ?

:laughing: bah hahhh!! No....you don't have to go on.....but I will keep that one in mind for future reference for sure !

. Imagine a log cabin floating on water. As I swam back I pretended nothing happened.

that's because nothing did.. please KOB....don't ever share this story again :laughing: actually...it's like a day out wade fishing with my oldest brother.....somehow though he always finds a way to be proud of stuff like that....:roll:

you know....I think you might be holding a story or two back....and everyone knows that can't be good for a persons stress levels....holding all that in...:lol:

I do have a story like KOB's but worse which I will not share here :lol:

Ok, so I'm hunting this baseball field. I'm next to the wooden home run fence when I get a nice small faint high tone with my big coil. After digging down WELL over a foot I look up past the fence and see a field lighting pole with small trees by it. It was probably a large piece of scrap wire or connector dropped in the hole when they ran the wires. Kind of scary even though the line probably wasn't live.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm hunting this baseball field. I'm next to the wooden home run fence when I get a nice small faint high tone with my big coil. After digging down WELL over a foot I look up past the fence and see a field lighting pole with small trees by it. It was probably a large piece of scrap wire or connector dropped in the hole when they ran the wires. Kind of scary even though the line probably wasn't live.

Well that's pretty scary ! Buried pipes, and power lines, and sprinkler systems are worries that I don't miss about non-beach hunting ! And I've been making progress towards overcoming my fear of things in the salt water surf that might happen to mistake me for food...or something good to stab at... That is until I saw a news story about increasing shark attacks....with some video. Yahhhh... my wife...who knows I am trying to make myself get into the water says "I was hoping you didn't see that".....and I don't know her motivation behind that statement....so that I will let my guard down....and get eaten....??? Ah...I'm going to do it anyway... I think it's still rare enough that if I do get eaten by a shark, I will still make the evening news....and that's a legacy I never could have hoped for...???

It's a beautiful hot summer day. Very small surf , decent slope and mid tide.1000s of people enjoying the day. Well , I have to go to the bathroom really BAD. And it's a #2. I know there is no way I can make it up the beach in time ( about 300 yards) to the restroom. So I toss my detector and scoop on the sand and strip down to my underwear and swim out about 20 yards past the frolicking people. I'm neck deep and pull my underwear down and release. Just my luck it was a floater. Imagine a log cabin floating on water. As I swam back I pretended nothing happened. But it felt like 250 people all staring at me. Put my shorts , shirt , bag on. Grabbed my detector and scoop and went back to detecting , pretending this is normal , like I do this all the time.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: too good Kob, love it

I can't beat Kob, but not long ago I was trying to kick the sand off my coil. Tap tap with my foot and the sand comes off. I must have kicked too hard because I kicked the coil right off the shaft! Was a sad walk back to my car. It always makes it worse if there are people around.

"It always makes it worse if there are people around."
I know I've done something really stupid when my first reaction is to look around to see if there are any witnesses. Only then do I apply direct pressure to stop the bleeding. :roll: :lol:

WINNER! :laughing: :lol: That's called the Tennessee quick step around my parts.

:toofunny::laughing::lol:. Ah you made this up for laughs didn't you?

:toofunny::laughing::lol:. Ah you made this up for laughs didn't you?
Nope. True story. When beaches are packed , it's not totally unusual to see someone out swimming in their underwear. The embarrassing part was off loading the floating log cabin. In crystal clear water. I was alot younger then. Now , I probably will will just soil myself as I make a gauntlet walk through the beach crowd.đź’©đź’©đź’©

Wondering why my detector kept going off with every step I took and then not being able to find the target. Was wearing steel toed boots. Also pin pointer kept going off the clod of mud in my hand and just can't find anything that would set it off. Realized it was my wedding ring under my glove. If Bill Engvall was there I would of had my sign.

Back
Top Bottom