Fisher F22 for the beach/shallow salt water?

Lyle

Hi there I'm looking to buy my first machine for the beach,wet sand and shallow salt water.
Would the fisher f22 be a good one to start with?
Thanks

Hi there I'm looking to buy my first machine for the beach,wet sand and shallow salt water.
Thanks

Nope.
For the dry sand fine, for wet and shallow saltwater regular VLF units of most any kind rarely work very well at all....especially the entry level models.
Many have used them but the noise from the minerals can be daunting and the depth is usually pretty pitiful.

Look in the beach forum and ask what those guys are using.
Multi frequency machines like Minelabs and Pulse Induction units are generally the norm plus maybe a couple of others.

If you are going to use this thing on land and hit the beach with a few forays into the wet sand and shallow water, (understanding that it will not be great in the last two), then fine.
If you are looking for dedicated salt water rig don't waste your money because you will be disappointed.

Some units will balance down to salt and maybe work a bit better, my F70 can and the new Patriot probably will but that still won't mean it would be the best choice for full time hunting at the beach if that is what you are looking to do.

Save up and get a machine that will do it right and the beach guys will be happy to give you their opinions on a few different kinds.

Thanks

Nope.
Multi frequency machines like Minelabs and Pulse Induction units are generally the norm plus maybe a couple of others.

In short, any detector will work in the dry sand. Getting detectors to work in the wet sand or submerged in salt water is the challenge that becomes expensive.

Single frequency detectors will work in the wet sand by decreasing the sensitivity. This means you'll lose depth and/or sensitivity to small targets. Additionally, it is common for these detectors to give random erroneous signals and noisy chatter.

Multi-frequency detectors will compensate for the conductive salt and mineralization without losing depth and sensitivity. The benefit is they (usually) are quiet and give an honest signal, if it beeps, there is something there. M/F detectors consequently cost more and the price goes up if you want them waterproof. The main advantage to a M/F detector is that you can discriminate unwanted targets like iron. This means you can cherry pick targets and make the most use of limited time.

PI or pulse induction detectors are the cost efficient alternative to MF detectors. They work great in salt water, but the caveat is they do not discriminate (well).

Multifrequency detectors would include the following:

Fisher:
CZ-3d (older models were the CZ-5 and CZ-6) not waterproof
CZ-7, 7a, 7apro & 70 (all are older models that are splash proof)
CZ-21 (older model is the 20) completely waterproof

Minelab
Safari (older model was the Quattro) not waterproof
Explorer (all are older models... X, XS, II, Se, & SePro) not waterproof
Sovereign (older model not waterproof)
Excallibur (waterproof)
CTX-3030 (waterproof)

Whites -
Beach Hunter ID (waterproof)
DFX (not waterproof)
VXi and variants (not waterproof)

PI units...
Garrett Sea hunter, Infinium, ATX
Tesoro Sand Shark
Aquasound/pulse
JW Fisher
Fisher Impulse
Detectorpro pulse (note only the pulse model, not the diver, wader, or pirate)

Note: there are others but these are the common ones.

That should get you going..... be sure to ask forum sponsors. They often have preowned models that have been thoroughly gone through and may have warranties. Its a great way to get into the hobby, much better to get a good used machine than a so-so new machine!

In short, any detector will work in the dry sand. Getting detectors to work in the wet sand or submerged in salt water is the challenge that becomes expensive.

Single frequency detectors will work in the wet sand by decreasing the sensitivity. This means you'll lose depth and/or sensitivity to small targets. Additionally, it is common for these detectors to give random erroneous signals and noisy chatter.

Multi-frequency detectors will compensate for the conductive salt and mineralization without losing depth and sensitivity. The benefit is they (usually) are quiet and give an honest signal, if it beeps, there is something there. M/F detectors consequently cost more and the price goes up if you want them waterproof. The main advantage to a M/F detector is that you can discriminate unwanted targets like iron. This means you can cherry pick targets and make the most use of limited time.

PI or pulse induction detectors are the cost efficient alternative to MF detectors. They work great in salt water, but the caveat is they do not discriminate (well).

Multifrequency detectors would include the following:

Fisher:
CZ-3d (older models were the CZ-5 and CZ-6) not waterproof
CZ-7, 7a, 7apro & 70 (all are older models that are splash proof)
CZ-21 (older model is the 20) completely waterproof

Minelab
Safari (older model was the Quattro) not waterproof
Explorer (all are older models... X, XS, II, Se, & SePro) not waterproof
Sovereign (older model not waterproof)
Excallibur (waterproof)
CTX-3030 (waterproof)

Whites -
Beach Hunter ID (waterproof)
DFX (not waterproof)
VXi and variants (not waterproof)

PI units...
Garrett Sea hunter, Infinium, ATX
Tesoro Sand Shark
Aquasound/pulse
JW Fisher
Fisher Impulse
Detectorpro pulse (note only the pulse model, not the diver, wader, or pirate)

Note: there are others but these are the common ones.

That should get you going..... be sure to ask forum sponsors. They often have preowned models that have been thoroughly gone through and may have warranties. Its a great way to get into the hobby, much better to get a good used machine than a so-so new machine!
Detector Pro has a new underwater one to 100ft.

What model is that and is it multi-freq or PI? All the ones I see are advertised as 3khz or something like that. Does not specify beyond that.

It is single low frequency,$679 or about $900 with 12 inch coil. I saw a you tube video on it with the 12 inch some time ago.

It is single low frequency,$679 or about $900 with 12 inch coil. I saw a you tube video on it with the 12 inch some time ago.

It's a POS in salt water. I owned/used the pi, diver, wader, and new attack. Great setup ergonomically, and the PI model, which is no longer made, is "the" unit to have in salt water.

Great I'm dry sand and fresh water.....chatty and falses in the salt.... HORRIBLY!!!

That's what I suspected. I do really want to find a Headhunter Pulse. Nobody seems to want to sell.

That's what I suspected. I do really want to find a Headhunter Pulse. Nobody seems to want to sell.

I hear you. About 18 months ago I saw one for sale for $275, which sold within 30 minutes of posting. Since then I have only seen one and the guy wanted $700. I want one but not for that price.

I hear you. About 18 months ago I saw one for sale for $275, which sold within 30 minutes of posting. Since then I have only seen one and the guy wanted $700. I want one but not for that price.

Man I'd love to find one. Imagine getting a 3 piece shaft for it, you could put everything in a small backpack.

I found one!

Back
Top Bottom