Lets talk scoops.

hikingthehills

I have some local fresh water beaches I'm about to start hitting and wanting some idea on what would be best. Not looking to break the bank but I do want something that will hold up for a while. Is wider better or do you prefer the narrower ones. I'll probably end up using it in some creeks as well. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

I'll bite on this one. First I'll get it out of the way before someone else does. It has been covered. But you deserve a FMDF answer. Not sure what you break the bank price is so here goes. I use a Sunspot Stealth 720i not cheap but not cheap made. I like the 7 incher because I don't have enough butt to push the 920 down in hard shell beaches. I've tried the 920 and no go for me. I think you should consider your weight, size of coil you will use and buy the best. That way, maybe you want have to buy again.

I'll second the Stealth 720i. Yes, bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for. Built to last. When I stop to think what I paid for my CTX 3030, what's another couple of hundred dollars plus more?

Like you I didn't want to break the bank (I couldn't really justify the $200+ for a stealth scoop) for so I had a look on eBay, I found something for under $100 from this guy, crafts_of_ukraine, good feedback and I have put the scoop through some tough times with no problems. Shipping was about 2 weeks so it was a bit slow

Even though I have a Stealth 720i and recommend it highly, I have a buddy who has the Ukraine scoop which I have also used and like - especially its smaller size when compared to the 720.

I bought a ukraine scoop and a hardware store wooden handle. I've had it about 5 months now. The problem I see is that the weld joints are rusting but the rest of the scoop is fine. I think that's going to be a problem as those welds will eventually break. I might could have avoided that by washing it with fresh water at the end of every hunt.
So, if you want to go cheap, make sure you wash your scoop after it's been in salt water. Maybe even figure out some sort of coating for the weld joints? Dunno.

My next one will be a quality one though. I know I will be buying a new one at some point.

Oh We could talk about scoops all day long! :laughing:
Well, heres the deal..you sort of need 2 of them, a short light one with about a 36" handle for working the dry sand beaches and volleyball courts and sand totters...($60)

Then, you need a sturdy Water scoop specifically for the wet...($160) est...

The barrier to entry for hunting the water is all the extra gear a person needs....So lets say you are gonna be with mid range rig, (AtPro) scoops, proper footgear, waders, wetsuit and all, at least $1000 before you even get wet!..!.

ROI calculation....just to break even you need to find 10 14k 4gr rings!..That might take you YEARS depending on where you live and how dedicated you are...

For most, Its easier and in the end more profitable to just hunt parks and totters with any old $200 rig pulling clad and jewelry with a screwdriver...easy and fast payoff...

Luckily, a barely used scoop has a resale value if you find out this is not for you....Water hunting aint for everybody, its tough, and you are digging it all mostly, so it can get depressing....Most of us live close by to magnificent beaches and lakes, so thats why we do it....

Also, a lot of us have made several attempts at making a scoop...Easy right? NOPE! :laughing: Still, the effort gives a guy an appreciation for a good scoop and after several homemade failures, will gladly pay the money!

In your area, like ours, those swimming areas get quite busy, so you have to go very early or at night or in the Winter for best results....

I like narrow scoops...Especially in creeks where you have rocks and stuff, but even on the beach I use a small bucket 5"... Good Luck!

Last edited:
unfortunately a cheap scoop will only cost more in the longrun. I've had 2 so far and my latest is the RTG pro aluminum scoop. I've only used it once in the riverbed but its all banged up so a few more uses and im sure its done for. I can't comment yet on the 720i because I have not received it yet but I did place my order.

Save your money and get a quality scoop

If the Allatoona beaches are anything like the Lanier beaches then you won't need a heavy scoop. Fresh drops in clean shallow sand don't take much.

BCD

Oh We could talk about scoops all day long! :laughing:
Well, heres the deal..you sort of need 2 of them, a short light one with about a 36" handle for working the dry sand beaches and volleyball courts and sand totters...($60)

Then, you need a sturdy Water scoop specifically for the wet...($160) est...

The barrier to entry for hunting the water is all the extra gear a person needs....So lets say you are gonna be with mid range rig, (AtPro) scoops, proper footgear, waders, wetsuit and all, at least $1000 before you even get wet!..!.

ROI calculation....just to break even you need to find 10 14k 4gr rings!..That might take you YEARS depending on where you live and how dedicated you are...

For most, Its easier and in the end more profitable to just hunt parks and totters with any old $200 rig pulling clad and jewelry with a screwdriver...easy and fast payoff...

Luckily, a barely used scoop has a resale value if you find out this is not for you....Water hunting aint for everybody, its tough, and you are digging it all mostly, so it can get depressing....Most of us live close by to magnificent beaches and lakes, so thats why we do it....

Also, a lot of us have made several attempts at making a scoop...Easy right? NOPE! :laughing: Still, the effort gives a guy an appreciation for a good scoop and after several homemade failures, will gladly pay the money!

In your area, like ours, those swimming areas get quite busy, so you have to go very early or at night or in the Winter for best results....

I like narrow scoops...Especially in creeks where you have rocks and stuff, but even on the beach I use a small bucket 5"... Good Luck!

Lot's of good info here! I may end up with one I found on Amazon. I'm hoping to be out at our local beach about 7 am on Saturday morning hopefully to start cleaning up!

OK it seems there's talk about scoops and Earl's (Surf Master) obligatory scoop picture isn't here. Let me take care of it for him. :lol: Notice how nice and shiny they are!

Attachments

• P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 115
Lot's of good info here! I may end up with one I found on Amazon. I'm hoping to be out at our local beach about 7 am on Saturday morning hopefully to start cleaning up!

Get out there at 4am and be leaving by 7...You know those lakes/beaches...All sorts of people and jetskis and whatnot showing up...Hit it during and after a big weekend...cover a lot of ground and use all your senses in a condensed and focused hunt...

Or hunt in the Fall/Winter and have the place all to yourself for as long as you want!

Attachments

• sept 20-16-2.jpg
    sept 20-16-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 115
.............And watch out for Mud Puppies! They sneak in the cover of darkness, scoop up all the flip flops, Gold bracelets, mumu's, beach towels, clad and beer cans and are gone in a small puff of dust. . :wow:

How do you tell if a Mud Pup is around? You keep checking your machine to see if you forgot to turn it on. It ain't making any noise because there are no targets to find! :no:

.............And watch out for Mud Puppies! They sneak in the cover of darkness, scoop up all the flip flops, Gold bracelets, mumu's, beach towels, clad and beer cans and are gone in a small puff of dust. . :wow:

How do you tell if a Mud Pup is around? You keep checking your machine to see if you forgot to turn it on. It ain't making any noise because there are no targets to find! :no:

Considering the amazing year you are having, You are a fine one to talk!:laughing::laughing:

ps: by gosh I got short legs! no wonder it takes me so long to mow the yard or go get the mail!

Attachments

• irons.jpg
    irons.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom