• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Advice on old sites

flurrrs

What are some good tips for md'ing old sites. I've been doing some research and have found some old cemeteries and home sites. (I don't MD near the graves.) I normally hit school grounds and run disc at a high setting. I went to a cemetery that was from the 1840's and hardly found anything with the disc up. I ran it for a little while on all metal mode. But I just kept digging up old metal. I know that is the best way to find stuff. But I usually only have about an hour to hunt. So should I just take my time and dig everything up or just keep searching like usual. I guess I get so used to finding coins frequently at school yards that going to places like this gets kind of boring. But I also want to find something older than what I usually find. I just hate getting skunked and that's what happened today. I never come back w/o at least a memorial penny. Anyway I guess I just need to take my time. I just realized that this is more of a frustration post than an I need some advice post b/c I just answered my question with take my time. So I guess I should have named the post: NO FINDS SUCKS

Anyway feels good to vent to people who care.

Well what your saying is you like to find alot of stuff fast which we all like to do... Old sites usually do not have alot of modern trash and there is a reason... Its not easily accessible or its private property... Look for spotoff the beaten path... Hope that helps

If you are that easily frustrated, than cache hunting is not for you. :lol: I frequently come back with nothing (but trash). Take your time, eliminate the junk, dig everything. If there is good stuff there, you will find it. RickO

I recently was in the woods on a hunt in an area like you speak of, wooded, but loaded with cartridge casings / shotgun shells, etc. Of the 3 of us, I was the only one to find a coin, a 1927 wheatie. So, to fulfill my coin craving, the girlfriend and I stopped at a small favorite park on the way home and popped about $5 in clad in an hour or so. Took the edge off. But no old coins. Everything's a tradeoff, ya know!

It takes time and effort, an hour isn't really long enough to hunt, if possible try to find some time to hunt longer, maybe on a day off or on a weekend.

I don't find stuff every time I go out, sometimes I find junk. it is hit and miss but it is still enjoyable.

You may want to try some local parks some are old enough to get some decent coins from.

One word of advice though, I would stay out of cemetaries if I were you Even if they are from the 1800's. unless you are taking rubbings off of the head stones or photographing the area. Just my opinion.

One word of advice though, I would stay out of cemetaries if I were you Even if they are from the 1800's. unless you are taking rubbings off of the head stones or photographing the area. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was small and gated though, and I didn't go in the gated area. I wasn't trying to come off as a I gotta have it now person. But after you hit some places where you always find stuff, places like that can bring you back to reality. I also had consumed a couple of tasty beers to take the edge off from not finding anything. So that post was doomed from the start. Sometimes it just feels good to vent on here when you get bummed from a crappy hunt. Also that hunt got cut short by the tune of my wife calling to tell me to meet her at the mechanic b/c her car was acting up. I haven't dug enough clad to cover that bill I'm afraid. Anyway thanks for the support. I will keep keeping on. And the idea to did all the trash is a good one. I will keep it all in mind.

Back
Top Bottom