Of Bums and Bicycles

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
For some reason, these past two Saturdays on my early morning School/Park ransack I have found a lot of abandoned Bums and Bicycles..The bicycles have all been 26" versions, multi speed and apparently roadworthy...The Bums? I'm not sure, they were all still asleep in the park dugouts and I didnt wake them up to draw a good assessment...

The thing is, a guy can jump on a bike and cover an easy 100 miles in one day...Its getting cold up here, I wish I had taken pictures for y'all to see of these migrating Bums and Bicycles.....

I went home and the Wife asked me what I found..."Just Bums and Bicycles" I answered..."You shoulda brought them all home! We have leaves to rake!" ........That was an odd comment I thought, No decent self respecting Bum besides me would EVER rake leaves?

Funny thing is when my Wife met me 38yrs ago, I was nothing more than a bum on a bicycle...these damn leaves seem to fall heavy around now for some reason....I would never consider enlisting a Bicycle Bum to do my yard work...I'm not so lucky though...Dammit! I could about be in Indiana if I had just started peddling! Screw these leaves! I got migratin' to do! Saddle up Gentlemen!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

I'm still a bicycle bum, and I'm raising my kids the same way!

This was taken last January ..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_140150058.jpg
    IMG_20160130_140150058.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 583
So this bum was going door to door in an upscale neighborhood looking for odd jobs, when a lady of one of the houses asked him if he would paint her porch out back for a hundred dollars. The bum said that he would. The lady told him that the paint, rollers, and brushes were already back there, and when he was done to just come back to the door and she would pay him. The bum made his way to the rear of the house and went to work. A few hours later he was done, and he went back up to the front door to collect his money. After the lady had counted out the bills and put them in his hand, the bum tipped his hat, thanked the lady, and remarked, "for your information ma'am, that's not a porch back there, it is a Mercedes." :laughing: I crack myself up.

For some unknown reason the visibility of "Bums" has decreased significantly since the City of Charleston made it a $1000 fine to hand them money from your car. Panhandling is allowed but if you hand the money from your car you are subject to a 1k fine.

Of course one does not want to wander into wooded area behind shopping centers. The Bums get quite aggressive if you venture into their area.

For some reason, these past two Saturdays on my early morning School/Park ransack I have found a lot of abandoned Bums and Bicycles..The bicycles have all been 26" versions, multi speed and apparently roadworthy...The Bums? I'm not sure, they were all still asleep in the park dugouts and I didnt wake them up to draw a good assessment...

The thing is, a guy can jump on a bike and cover an easy 100 miles in one day...Its getting cold up here, I wish I had taken pictures for y'all to see of these migrating Bums and Bicycles.....

I went home and the Wife asked me what I found..."Just Bums and Bicycles" I answered..."You shoulda brought them all home! We have leaves to rake!" ........That was an odd comment I thought, No decent self respecting Bum besides me would EVER rake leaves?

Funny thing is when my Wife met me 38yrs ago, I was nothing more than a bum on a bicycle...these damn leaves seem to fall heavy around now for some reason....I would never consider enlisting a Bicycle Bum to do my yard work...I'm not so lucky though...Dammit! I could about be in Indiana if I had just started peddling! Screw these leaves! I got migratin' to do! Saddle up Gentlemen!:laughing::laughing:
Mud

I took care of my huge amount of leaves today. Got the lawnmower out and ground 'em up. The wind takes care of most of the leaf slaw and the rest settles into the grass and becomes topsoil. I have a rake but why work hard when you can work smart ? :p

I took care of my huge amount of leaves today. Got the lawnmower out and ground 'em up. The wind takes care of most of the leaf slaw and the rest settles into the grass and becomes topsoil. I have a rake but why work hard when you can work smart ? :p

That's what I do, just mulch them up. Looks weird mowing in December though. :laughing:

I enjoy riding my bike to my detecting spots. Did a 700+ mile bike camping trip a few years ago with a buddy. Unfortunately I don't get as much time to ride or detect these days as I would like.

Way back in the lat 50s, we lived out in the country. A rail road tracks behind the house. At this area the trains were slowing down before intering town. We had HOBOS come to the house for food. Mom would always make us kids go upstares to our bedroom. She would give them food and back to the tracks they would go. I remember watching them out the window. We never did get to meet them. Something I will never forget. .KEN

Way back in the lat 50s, we lived out in the country. A rail road tracks behind the house. At this area the trains were slowing down before intering town. We had HOBOS come to the house for food. Mom would always make us kids go upstares to our bedroom. She would give them food and back to the tracks they would go. I remember watching them out the window. We never did get to meet them. Something I will never forget. .KEN

We also lived by a rail line hauling coal from the mines for a few years. My Mother would always feed the travelers on the front porch. They all appeared to be a bit hungry as it did not matter what my mother gave them it disappeared in a hurry.

My Mother would not let us stay on the porch with them if she had to go bak in the house.

They always ate and left.

We have an old timey Hobo emblem hung on our front door...its means to all knowledgable travelers, "Good People Live Here"...Or at least thats what the Hobo who sold it to us said..:laughing:...Me and the Missus and our young daughter spent 3yrs homeless, traveling and working WY,SD,MT ranches and whatnot, relying on the generosity/compassion/protection of others...so yeah...entertain a stranger every once in a while within reason...might be an Angel..you just never know...I am partial to bicycle bums though...a guys has to have a bit of mechanical skills....
Mud

Attachments

• hobo1.jpg
    hobo1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 315
  • hobo.jpg
    hobo.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 308
Thanks man, restored it myself, paint and all...

<°)))>{

By the way. I'm converting these two to Lithium. Lee Iacocca EV global easier to find. The Ford think bike is so rare I cant find any parts. It was complicated for its time.:shock:

Attachments

• SAM_3571.jpg
    SAM_3571.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 195
  • ebike (2).jpg
    ebike (2).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 195
We have an old timey Hobo emblem hung on our front door...its means to all knowledgable travelers, "Good People Live Here"...Or at least thats what the Hobo who sold it to us said..:laughing:...Me and the Missus and our young daughter spent 3yrs homeless, traveling and working WY,SD,MT ranches and whatnot, relying on the generosity/compassion/protection of others...so yeah...entertain a stranger every once in a while within reason...might be an Angel..you just never know...I am partial to bicycle bums though...a guys has to have a bit of mechanical skills....
Mud

Mud, I'd love to hear some of the stories you've got of those three years. That's something I've always dreamed of doing, but it seemed life always got in the way. Good for you and what an experience for your daughter.

Back
Top Bottom