What's your "out of the box" place that produced?

IDXMonster

Elite Member
We all know about the old fairgrounds,farms,ball fields,schools,etc. that are the staples of detectorists worldwide. But once in awhile we accidentally stumble across a place that we don't think would be "huntable" but it produces old coins. What is the place YOU have hunted that is either not on the common list of places or it was a surprise that old coins were there?
I would start off the list with MY example but I don't have one! Anybody got one?

I found this great spot in the water, coins everywhere. I really cleaned up, then security came and told me to get out of the fountain.

BCD

Last year I found a defunct summer retreat for Women.

The finds aren't worthy of the "Eye popping and mind blowing" forum, but it's a real interesting place.

Last year I found a defunct summer retreat for Women.

The finds aren't worthy of the "Eye popping and mind blowing" forum, but it's a real interesting place.

I agree Dave,I've actually been on that same trail,trying to locate some of these places...Id love just going through and looking at the old buildings and finding some everyday items of the time. Something about "yesteryear" captures my attention.....simpler,many times things were better quality...I think a lot of us are of that mindset.

This was at a newer park in a 50's-70's neighborhood. Needless to say, I was amazed.

Franklin half, Canadian silver dollar, and three lead balls (pistol?).

All within a few blocks of my hunting buddies house....

This was at a newer park in a 50's-70's neighborhood. Needless to say, I was amazed.

Franklin half, Canadian silver dollar, and three lead balls (pistol?).

All within a few blocks of my hunting buddies house....

Wow! That's quite a scoop there! That's what I'm talking about,most old coin hunters would've passed on that site...

I hunt old orchards.. most long gone. the reason I started doing this is about 4 years ago I had a chance to do a field that used to be an orchard... I pulled old watch fobs, pieces of watches, silver coins, large cents... amazing what people drop when picking apples...

I hunt old orchards.. most long gone. the reason I started doing this is about 4 years ago I had a chance to do a field that used to be an orchard... I pulled old watch fobs, pieces of watches, silver coins, large cents... amazing what people drop when picking apples...

Orchards? The heck you say. The beanfield across the road from me was an orchard for years (way before my time). In fact when meeting some older people in my travels, they would ask where I'm from. And they would say, "we all would go there every fall and pick apples".

Hmm..... (You've got me thinking!)

Did research on a old reservoir where, after a series of drownings...the dam was blown and the water drained in 1935. It's out in the middle of the woods to this day, the dam ruins...I figured out where the kids would have jumped/dove from, as 2 hunts gave up Indians, wheats, and silvers, sterling, gold and relics all dated before the mid 30's...I need to go back again one of these days:yes:

Matmit's plugs, I have scanned them many times when he was done with them and pulled some real gems...:laughing::laughing:

PART_1444694671251_KIMG0012.jpg
Corn fields Before planting and after harvest or before freeze up,
The window of opportunity can be narrow depending on the weather to.
This field pictured has gave me , a seated half, Indian head fatties,
And an old silver ring to a buddy .

All excellent guys,the fields are always an option and I have some,but...alas...I have failed there so far. I have to get better at reading them,where the paths/trails are/were,finding concentrations of iron,etc. Orchards is a great suggestion,I know of a few and could easily find more. Keep it coming!

I was in a newer city park. Went to the creek behind it and found an old spring house foundation. I managed to pull a silver rosie, a merc, and 3 or 4 wheats from that area. Nothing amazing, but still interesting.

Back
Top Bottom