Short Hunt This Morning -- SILVER!!!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
A friend recently agreed to let me hunt her yard (a rental property of which she had only been there for 3 years). She told me the house was from the 1940's. Well, knowing this town, I wasn't expecting anything really -- the old timer detectorists around here have picked over most all of the good sites since the late '70's. But I thought I would give it a shot and try anyway.

Right off the bat I found three 1981 copper pennies -- each in a different hole. I say to myself -- yep been pounded extensively. But I kept at it. Found a total of 6 copper pennies and 5 zinc pennies. And I got 55 cents in clad. Was working the unused driveway where I found most of the clad and got a good hit and started digging and the *%$# neighbor started hollering something about cops. So I quickly finished digging my target! It was a 1947 PLAIN ROSIE DIME -- very worn and not the best shape -- BUT IT WAS SILVER AND I'LL TAKE IT.

I didn't hunt much longer. Got there about 6:30 a.m. and left after about an hour. I moved to the other side of the house away from the *%$# neighbor. He shut up. I was not in his yard! I will try to go back another time when it is cooler. It was in the 60's when I started and was already climbing above 70ish and I was already sweating.

Enjoy the pictures. I also included a photo of other recent finds from May 2016 that weren't spectacular. The CHAIN had me going when I found it but it is JUNK! There are no markings of any kind on it anywhere. The silver looking thing appears to be an ignition switch (has a slot for a key). And of course I found a key but not the one for it. There are approximately 28 pull tabs.

Thanks for looking! GL and HH!

Attachments

• June 18, 2016 MD Hunt - Silver Rosie 1947.jpg
    June 18, 2016 MD Hunt - Silver Rosie 1947.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 06-18-16 Silver Rosie 1947 Front.jpg
    06-18-16 Silver Rosie 1947 Front.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 06-18-16 Silver Rosie 1947 Back.jpg
    06-18-16 Silver Rosie 1947 Back.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 466
  • MD Hunts - Multiple Recent - May 2016.jpg
    MD Hunts - Multiple Recent - May 2016.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 474
Just found out from my friend that her neighbor has autism. Just great! But she told me the next time I come if she's not outside to knock on her door and she will come out. Then maybe I won't have to put up with her crazy neighbor! She told me that he is a pain in the you-know-what!

Cool finds. Congratulations.

The ignition piece you found is probably part of a locking tow hitch pin. If I'm right the end opposite the key slot will have a round hole with a pin in the center. With the key in the right orientation the piece you found screws onto the larger pin then you remove the key.

FWIW, all pennies after 1964 are zincs.

Cool finds. Congratulations.

The ignition piece you found is probably part of a locking tow hitch pin. If I'm right the end opposite the key slot will have a round hole with a pin in the center. With the key in the right orientation the piece you found screws onto the larger pin then you remove the key.

FWIW, all pennies after 1964 are zincs.

Thanks. I don't think that is correct on the copper pennies. I believe it is after 1982 because almost all the pennies dated 1983 and up I have found have been in a corroded state depending on how long they have been in the ground. None of the pennies 1982 and back that I have found have been corroded.

Congrats on the well earned silver Pennyfinder .
Wonder what the neighbor was hiding ?
Early bird got the worm today👍

Back
Top Bottom