Idea for AT pro straight shaft mod

ohiochris

Elite Member
Ive been thinking about putting together a straight shaft for the ATP but from what I see of whats already been done it just makes no sense to me to keep the control box right at the handle. No difference in weight distribution at all. The primary reason for modding the shaft is to put more of the weight up towards your elbow and take the stress off your forearm. I dont see a benefit otherwise. With this style of detector though its difficult to place the box in a location up the shaft and still be able to see and utilize the controls. I was doing some doodling on paper at work and thought of something that just might work to bring the box up closer to the elbow and reduce stress on the forearm and wrist yet still allow functionality of the screen and controls. Using a straight shaft , carbon fiber straight end for bicycle handlebars , and a pvc pipe coupling. Might be a little awkward at first with the box so close to the elbow , it should still allow for somewhat normal use. I think i may try this.

Attachments

• 20150828_214301.jpg
    20150828_214301.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 624
guy made a mode for water hunting, but I find the atp pretty comfy.

Yeah the ATP really isnt bad already , pretty comfortable really , but my wrist and forearm still feel the stress when swinging for hours or slicing it side to side in deep water for a long time. If there was a way to improve the balance or make it a little more aquadynamic it means a little less fatigue.

Smaller coil

Now that is a beast of a way to hunt. Buea has several vids as he is mostly a water hunter. I dont loose anything with the 5x8 coil. I would see what Beau is using. You may want to slow your swing down.

The first thing I noticed with all the ATP straight shaft mods is that the only thing that is changed is the shape of the shaft. If you just want the shaft to be straight thats fine but both the handle and the control box are in the same place , so......no difference in balance or weight distribution , still all the same stresses on your forearm and wrist. As much as some people swear by this setup , anyone taking a logical approach when looking at it will notice the only real change is in how the machine looks , its NOT accomplishing anything more.....contrary to a few posts Ive read. Most of the reason for a straight shaft setup is to improve balance and weight distribution.....moving some of the weight normaly held and maneuvered by your hand and wrist back to the elbow and taking it off your forearm.....and of course streamlining the aquadynamics slicing side to side through deep water ( if you are a water hunter that control box being where it is now causes significant drag when submerged ). The only actual performance enhancing mod would be a straight shaft with the control box moved from the handle grip up to or near the elbow in a way that you can still see the screen and use the controls.

I finally found a mod where somebody actually considered the reasons for the straight shaft setup. Wont be able to see the screen or access the buttons on the fly this way but this mod should actually accomplish its purpose.

Attachments

• addon.php.jpeg
    addon.php.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 376
Putting the box further back than the original position would really only help with the weight distribution out of the water.. Also just to note, the most important place to streamline is at the other end of that long lever.. Keeping the shaft short also helps with under water swinging...

Cool ideas though, the real deal breaker on all this is the cable being so short.. It would be nice to be able to chest mount the controls...

<°)))>{

Putting the box further back than the original position would really only help with the weight distribution out of the water.. Also just to note, the most important place to streamline is at the other end of that long lever.. Keeping the shaft short also helps with under water swinging...

Cool ideas though, the real deal breaker on all this is the cable being so short.. It would be nice to be able to chest mount the controls...

<°)))>{

Yeah chestmounting is a very tempting idea but after I looked into it I found out the cable isnt meant to be flexed that much and will break. Putting the box further back would only help with weight distribution out of the water...but it will help with drag in the water since your elbow stays relatively stationary while most of the movement is out toward your hand. I keep the shaft short as well , so that Im swinging the coil just in front of my feet.

Back
Top Bottom