Detector Travel Case. What do you all think?

SavingThePast

Forum Supporter
I had been wanting to build a storage case for my ctx for the couple trips I take each year. I don't fly but wanted to give it a little better protection than a carry bag since we always have a ton of luggage in the vehicle. I had this plano bow case sitting around that I had bought a year ago when amazon had it for $70. I decided to buy some sheets of foam from a company called foam factory for $60. I could have spent about $40 on the foam but decided I wanted to do a red/black combo which was the extra cost. I spent the last couple evenings cutting the sheets down to fit the case, making templates and then finally tonight doing the cutting for the detector itself. Here is the finished project, let me know what you all think...

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,086
  • case3.jpg
    case3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,078
  • case4.jpg
    case4.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,042
NICE! Fits like a glove, thanks for sharing HOW you did it too!

:laughing: I showed the templates I cut out for it ND. I had some large pieces of cardboard and played each piece on it and traced around them. I then used scissors to cut the templates out of the cardboard.To cut the foam I used a hot wire cutter I built a few years ago. After spraying adhesive on the templates and stick them down where I wanted them I took a steak knife and cut a slit next to each cardboard template so I could feed the wire through the foam. Then, turn on the hotwire machine and follow along the cardboard until each section is cut out. where the detector is thicker I cut the templates down to just the thicker areas and then adhere those down to the next layer of foam. Pull it out of the case and repeat the process around those templates. Each layer is 1" thick. The top two layers are red, then there is a 1/4" thick black layer and then another 1" layer under that. You can see the black showing through in each section that had to be cut through both the upper layers..

I wasn't being sarcastic bud, I really did like that you shared how you did it. Looks like a very good technique. :)

oh,,,you had me thinking I didn't give enough info. Thanks for the compliments on it!

Good idea I take mine with me on the road quite a bit and have often thought about something along those lines I'd better get it done now instead of after the fact with a busted machine watching me do it. Thanks

Wow, great job. I'm seriously impressed. I need to make one for my Nokta, im always worried about something hitting it when the guys carpool for a hunt.

smoking job brutha, I will drive over this summer to pick mine up. On vacation from July 4th to the 12th. C ya then...lol

I would say prior to 911 it needs a lock before handing it over to TSA. But now you cant lock anything so it's perfect.

Bow case

Hi looks great! Very nicely made. I want one !!
What are the dimensions of your case please?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom