CRH question

HipsterKitty

Can I go to just any bank and trade cash for coins? Or do I need to have an account? It's a rainy day and I have a $20 bill I'd like to convert to change.

Also, what do you recommend I get? Do wheat pennies (or even IHs) pop up a lot if I get penny rolls? Or should I go for nickels/dimes? I'm not concerned with value so much as just finding interesting things.

Well for only $20 I would just get pennies... A box is only $25. Should get some wheats and every once in a while youll get an IH.

I think its best if you had an account. That way theres no problems or fees.

I would say nickels and pennies. If you are only after potential interesting things.

Some banks require an account while others don't

G2M

I'm sure any bank would be willing to exchange $20 for you though to be honest your chances of finding anything exciting are probably pretty slim...unless, as you said, you are just looking for wheats in penny rolls. $20 is only four rolls of dimes or two rolls of quarters. To realistically find silver though you'd probably have to have a lot more money...I would get $1000 worth each time and maybe pull 1 or 2 silvers! :lol: Some banks also do not like you withdrawing a lot of rolls and then taking them right back again once you've searched so some banks insist you have an account with them, and most CRHers withdraw and deposit at different banks...though as I said they probably aren't going to care about $20. Good luck! :yes:

I know guys that buy at least $1000.00 at a time in dimes and quartes and still don't find anything on every trip. Sometimes it takes a couple to get some silver or a key date. I guess you could get something with $20 but not likely. It almost is not worth the time or gas to try to get a wheatie or two. I guess it depends on how much you value your time. Good luck on the hunt though.

Every time i get to $20 in clad and change i go to the bank, cash it in and buy half dollars then slowly fill up a treasure chest of them...if your just in it for wheaties and war nickels then your going to take a while to get little return...better to get half dollars or dollar rolls.

There arnt many but it keeps something work collecting, there are rarer ones amongst collectables and you can gradually save up and have the odd chance of finding a 40% silver or silver dollar coin, if your thining your going to find a rare penny then buy a lottery ticket, you'll stand a better chance of getting $5 profit for your money.

Got $10 in pennies and $10 in nickels.... at least I hope I did. My first nickel roll only has $1.95 in it.

So your already off to a bad start. Lol

For proofs you have to google it because I have no clue :?:

I do pennies and nickels and sometimes halves

Nickels, I usually get 1 war nickel per $100 box and a buffalo here and there, but don't get your hopes up. There are still plenty of Jefferson's from the 30's, 40's, 50's too.

Pennies, I will get between 6-12 wheats per box of $25. Worst being 4 and the best being 28. Never found a single indian in rolls yet.

Halves are my winter hobby when I can't metal detect. I get some 40%ers here and there and have found some 90% as well. I got lucky a couple times, with my best being 190 silver halves in $1,000 bag. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=96580

I do it for fun and it's always nice to get a coin or 2, but you can also get lucky and score big. Good luck.

To me coin roll hunting is like buying a lottery ticket that you can turn back in and get a refund. LOL you buy 500 dollars in half dollars get some silver and rest you spend then sell back to coin dealer.

11 penny rolls left. Only coins I've kept so far are a Canadian penny and a 1958 no mint mark nickel, which is probably the least "key" date that you could call key at all. :p

11 penny rolls left. Only coins I've kept so far are a Canadian penny and a 1958 no mint mark nickel, which is probably the least "key" date that you could call key at all. :p

1958 nickel isn't silver :no: 1942-1945 is 35% silver

Ended up with 13 extra pennies, the cleanest 1963 I've ever seen, a slightly off-center 1980, and that's it... Not a single wheat. 1,013 pennies and only two I like...

Another question... A couple of these nickels are extremely shiny. How do I know if they're proofs?
i believe modern nickel proofs have the s mint mark but i could be wrong ... proofs are definitely tricky when it comes to coin collecting but when in doubt just google the date, coin denomination, and the word proof all together and you should find out what it is. also FYI some people tend to collect the nickels before 1960 ( 1959 and down) while they aren't key dates that do have a lower mintage than the other jefferson nickel dates.

also quick question what was the date on the canadian cent you found?

Back
Top Bottom