1933 double eagle - Smithsonian

DougF

Elite Member
I was down in DC over the weekend and went to the Museum of American History. Many great exhibits, but spent some time in the Numismatics exhibit, which is fairly small, about the size of a large living room. The entire room is one big safe, with a large steel door. There is also a guard watching you. Many rare and interesting coins including the 1933 $20, a 1913 V nickel, etc. There is also a necklace with about 15 US gold coins, of which 3, I think, were double eagles, the rest smaller denominations. I saw a bracelet which had a Pine Tree shilling (1652) among other coins. The shilling was soldered onto the bracelet.

I had limited time to explore the exhibit, since I was with family including small children and others not interested in coins. I'll be going back. If you're ever in DC, don't miss it.

I live nearby and know the room. You're absolutely right it's one that has to be seen!

Neat ! I remember going to the Smithsonian as a kid on a school field trip but don't think we went to that exhibit (the Air & Space and inventions were neat though)

Anyhow, did a search and found a web page that shows pics of coins from that exhibit -

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/object-groups/national-numismatic-collection

Many of those coins are in super nice condition, here is just one example from the above web site -

$10 coin
1907_ten_dollars.jpg

I knew a lady coin dealer who used to buy bags of foreign coins and sell them for about a dime apiece. Once she was looking through them and found a Pine Tree Shilling. Whoever bagged the coins had never seen one and figured that it was a foreign coin. She had it in her display for several thousand dollars.

Back
Top Bottom