Some Quality Gold

Compass

Forum Supporter
Well, I have seen some amazing treasure pulled off the California beaches this past week and at first I was thinking maybe I should have tried some different locations. I didn't find as much gold as some others but two that I did may be the best I have found in a long time- in my eyes anyway.
The beach conditions were a total surprise to me and I think not really expected even by the expert forecasters. I did know that the tides were going to be favorable but certainly didn't know that so much sand was going to be moved in such a short amount of time.
Like others out there, I was fortunate to get in a few hunts during this time. The first was a little disappointing because even though I had over $10 in clad and did a ton of digging I had no silver or gold to show for it. However, the next 3 hunts were much better for jewelry. Here is the best of it:
picture.php

The larger ring to the left of center was the very last target I found on the second hunt. It was still early in the morning so I couldn't really tell if it was good but it had decent weight and I could see that it had a stamp on the inside of the ring so confidence was high. When I got home I read the markings "750 fj SWISS" and put it on my scale- 13.3 grams of 18K white gold! I would have never guessed that it was that heavy.
Even more surprising was that the jeweler was Furrer Jacot (fj), a jeweler in Switzerland since the 1850's and the ring was pretty pricey considering it has no precious stones in it.
On the 3rd hunt I retrieved a target from the wet sand in the morning darkness. It felt like a heavy metal worm in my hand and it took me a second to realize that I had found a bracelet. I turned on my headlight praying that it would be good and my prayer was answered as I saw the rich luster of yellow gold and gemstones in bezel settings! It wasn't until I got home that I verified that this was another quality piece of jewelry, 8.5 grams of 14 K gold with garnets.
Both the bracelet and the ring from the previous hunt were in such pristine conditions they looked they were recently on the jeweler's shelves. Other than rinsing and using a toothbrush to get the sand out of the crevices neither has been cleaned or polished.
picture.php

Other than the gold I found some nice silver jewelry. Surprisingly, most of the silver was clean. I suppose they could be fresh drops or were up in the dry sand and got washed down from the heavy surf.
These were surreal, magical hunts- mostly with no one else around on a quiet (except for some fireworks),warm, moonlit beach. I've had these types of hunts before and can never get enough. Thanks for reading, GL&HH!

Very impressive! I do love the quiet, solitary hunts, especially when the goods keep coming out of the ground.

Fantastic hunt, heck of a nice surprise to get white gold thinking's it might just be a silver junker!
Thanks Z! One of the few bad things about hunting at night is the many times when I thought I had found something really good only to be crushed when I got home and discovered that it was fake. That actually happened on the first hunts of this week when I found a heavy silver mens bracelet and a rope chain stamped "925" that both turned out to be plated.

Very impressive! I do love the quiet, solitary hunts, especially when the goods keep coming out of the ground.
Thank you Jodo Kast, These types of hunts are the closest to the ones in my dreams that's for sure. :yes:

Congrats on all the great loot! I was hunting near huge blasts of firework bombs last week in San Fran, made me jump and look a time or two!:shock:

Killed it man!

Congrats on the haul, it's just terrible they can't always be like that.

If it was always like that it would be boring, lol just kidding it would be Heaven on Earth!

Stay on em!

Well, I have seen some amazing treasure pulled off the California beaches this past week ....

Not my part of CA. Your S to SW swells did not make it up to my part of CA. WWWAaaaahhhh :crying:

Great report and great pix ! Good to see some CA action (albeit not near me :( )

Congrats on all the great loot! I was hunting near huge blasts of firework bombs last week in San Fran, made me jump and look a time or two!:shock:
Thanks Metal, Yes, pretty intense when it goes from darkness to daylight in a split second. Scares the carp out of me every time. :yes:

Killed it man!

Congrats on the haul, it's just terrible they can't always be like that.

If it was always like that it would be boring, lol just kidding it would be Heaven on Earth!

Stay on em!
Thanks Ice, If it was always this good, everyone would be metal detecting so no, we wouldn't want that. There is enough competition as it is!

Not my part of CA. Your S to SW swells did not make it up to my part of CA. WWWAaaaahhhh :crying:

Great report and great pix ! Good to see some CA action (albeit not near me :( )
Thanks Tom, I knew that but intentionally said California instead of Southern California to throw would be pirates off the trail. No 30 percent for you! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm with Compass. I can only hunt at night now. It's so much better.

I tried going out during the day after the openings. Way too many people. Unless you're in the water, it's impossible to detect. It's also 100 degrees and humid here in Florida.

Detecting at night is the way to go.

I'm with Compass. I can only hunt at night now. It's so much better.

I tried going out during the day after the openings. Way too many people. Unless you're in the water, it's impossible to detect. It's also 100 degrees and humid here in Florida.

Detecting at night is the way to go.
Of course, there are some beaches I won't go near at night! Even the ones I feel safer at I need to keep my eyes open for the occasional knucklehead. A hunting buddy is the best way to go. :yes:

:dingding: WOW!!! Nice stuff there! You have to love when you get to a hunt and find favorable conditions that you did not expect. I have had that happen a few times and was successful as well. CONGRATS!

You left coasters doing pretty good right now... talking with a couple who don't post their finds are doing pretty good out there... what were you swinging George?

Right on George! Congrats on the high quality honker swiss cheese! :D Awesome bracelet too!

Very , very nice finds ! You were overdue like a library book ! What is especially nice was you being lucky enough to hunt without it being overrun by other guys. These recent hunts for many have been reminiscent of "the golden age" , when it was like this on 50% of my hunts. I've been doing a lot of recon up and down the coast. Hitting about 15 different beaches. Over exhaustion has set in. It is total hit and miss. Some being hunted , others not. Some that look really good , but aren't and vice-aversa. Many are being heavily sanded in right now but the low tides have been presentable. Finds are still there. Keep up the good work.

:dingding: WOW!!! Nice stuff there! You have to love when you get to a hunt and find favorable conditions that you did not expect. I have had that happen a few times and was successful as well. CONGRATS!
Thank you Felix, An additional concern was actually the confusion over beach closures due to the pandemic. Nobody seemed to know what was going on and even beaches that were supposedly closed had people all over them. Fortunately, at night, there wasn't many people around including beach patrols.
For the most part I had the beach to myself. :yes:

You left coasters doing pretty good right now... talking with a couple who don't post their finds are doing pretty good out there... what were you swinging George?
Thanks Craig, Sorry, I meant to mention that I used the TDI Beach Hunter on all 4 hunts. It performed really well despite some pockets of trash that nearly drove me to go get the Nox out of the car. I really think either detector would have done pretty well there but I like the the way that the TDIBH really belts out a tone on targets while on the Nox I have to concentrate more to pick out the targets. Could be my hearing impairment but with the TDIBH I feel like I can cover an area much more thoroughly. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom