• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1st bigring update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max-VaBeach-Va

Forum Supporter
here is how it went down this morning when i reached out to the fellow that lost the ring, but first let me tell you something really K E W L
[size=13pt][size=10pt]he lost it 12 years ago about where i found it[/size][/size].............how kewl is that and boy we hunt this block more than any other block on the whole ocean front.

now back to our conversation............not knowing he lost it 12 years ago, i said ....hey, u loose anything lately?.....u did go to vmi class of 97.........yes, i said, well where is your class ring, he says home on the dresser........i said u must have replaced it since i am holding one in my hand........he said he had, but might like to have the old one back as well.
he asked me what is it worth to me, i said.....no clue, scrap value around 1500 bucks at gold today....oh.......well i can not give u that for it, maybe 200.

i will keep you advised soon.

some guys wanted the sepro readings, so i have them here now.

Attachments

• 92710KSTAMP.jpg
    92710KSTAMP.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • BIGRING NO1.jpg
    BIGRING NO1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • BIGRING NO2.jpg
    BIGRING NO2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,154
You're a better man than me, I don't know if I could return that one... times are tough... :D

Amazing that for 12 years nobody snagged that one, that spot must have lost a lot of sand.

So you have not decided if you were going to give it back?

If he replaced it with insurance then keep it. It would be like hime getting money for free with out doing anything.

Sounds like your man may have had it
replaced on insurance some time back.
Has to be melt value minimum I reckon.:cool:

That's something to keep in mind, he may have gotten it replaced by insurance. Returning it would put him up $1,500, cause some nice guy returned the original, after he already got a replacement for free or cheap...

Right when he said it's on his dresser, I would have hung up, lol.

Max, just keep it. The person used their warranty [which is why I usually never return stuff] and got a new one...

No need. Either keep or scrap. HH -Joe

here is how it went down this morning when i reached out to the fellow that lost the ring, but first let me tell you something really K E W L
[size=13pt][size=10pt]he lost it 12 years ago about where i found it[/size][/size].............how kewl is that and boy we hunt this block more than any other block on the whole ocean front.

now back to our conversation............not knowing he lost it 12 years ago, i said ....hey, u loose anything lately?.....u did go to vmi class of 97.........yes, i said, well where is your class ring, he says home on the dresser........i said u must have replaced it since i am holding one in my hand........he said he had, but might like to have the old one back as well.
he asked me what is it worth to me, i said.....no clue, scrap value around 1500 bucks at gold today....oh.......well i can not give u that for it, maybe 200.

i will keep you advised soon.

some guys wanted the sepro readings, so i have them here now.

You are a good guy Max. First you wanted to return at $1500 ring and second you let everyone know your super duper voodoo setup on your MD!

I am sorry to say, but I am not sure I would have given that ring back. The main reason is many people do not care about it because they bought a one time insurance policy. Some homeowners insurance covers those losses also. As big as it is I would bet he bought the insurance when they ordered the ring. You said he had already replaced it years ago. You can almost bet his insurance paid for it. Keep it and buy a better camera so we can hear the audio on your videos! :lol: EDIT, sorry I posted this before reading AKA's post. We are of the same mind as you can see.

You are a good guy Max. First you wanted to return at $1500 ring and second you let everyone know your super duper voodoo setup on your MD!

I am sorry to say, but I am not sure I would have given that ring back. The main reason is many people do not care about it because they bought a one time insurance policy. Some homeowners insurance covers those losses also. As big as it is I would bet he bought the insurance when they ordered the ring. You said he had already replaced it years ago. You can almost bet his insurance paid for it. Keep it and buy a better camera so we can hear the audio on your videos! :lol:

Make sure its a HEAD CAM! :lol:

Hmmm...that's a tough one. As others have said, if he's already got a 'new' ring under his insurance then I too kind of thing you should keep the old one. Kind of tough though now that you've offered it back to him...will be interesting to see how this one turns out! You're a good man Max! :yes:

Yep, I say keep it too. At least the guy was honest about replacing his ring. He could have easily lied and said, "OMG, You found my long lost school ring?" "It means so much to me." "I would love to have it back." "I figured I would never see it again."."Would you like a reward for finding it?".........but he didn't say anything like that....

Raphis

Guess I'm in the vast minority here. If there's a way to find the owner of a lost piece of jewelry, it just feels like the right thing to me personally to return it - I really don't care if they may have gotten insurance money for it in the past and it makes no difference to me if they offer me something for it or not.

Not being judgemental here or trying to get on a "high horse" or anything - just think if you want to keep a ring or scrap it or something, go for it since it's a personal choice, but if you want to find the owner and offer to return it, once you go down that path, follow it to the end no matter what the circumstances.

Just my $0.02

but if you want to find the owner and offer to return it, once you go down that path, follow it to the end no matter what the circumstances.
I believe there's always alternative paths along any road you travel. Nothing is written in stone....except maybe the ten commandments....LOL!

Raphis

The guy doesn't need 2 class rings. If he want's the original and he can't afford to pay you melt value, he should at least trade you for the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom