Whites TDI Beachhunter

Do you start with an old Excal cap from a previous detector or is this a blank cap?

I think my biggest concern would be the thickness of the TDI control case itself and if the plug would create a weakness in its integrity. Hit it just wrong, crack the case and you get water intrusion.

Creating an inline connection seems less risky?
Example: control pod > cable > female connector (connection) male connector > cable > coil.

I have a lathe so I make my own endcaps, did it for a few years making and selling but to much like work. So I stopped.

Just from seeing the DF case you could do some modifications to the case of the TDI with another piece of lexan, beefing up that area. I've did a mod to a DF allowing the use of a excalibur battery pod, with a 16.8 volt LiPo. With no problems. And I was thinking the same for the TDI...and maybe the "AQ"..a back up battery.

The excalibur knob guard is one of the "original" first made, not by me...

Obn

Bring us back the picks bro ., Hi for a month in paradise , drinks , hulla girls' , all inclusive on Aqua., is hard to pass up :shock::shock::shock::shock::tropical::tropical::tropical::tropical:, Have a nice trip :yes: :beers:

My TDI experience

1. The machine is deep with the upgraded battery. It absolutely loves low conductors. My buddy reese and I both agree that our modded excals feel “underpowered”. The TDI leaves silver dimes and wheats behind where the excal doesn’t(I used to float my excal next to me so i could double check holes and surface to make sure i didn’t leave anything.)
2. The stock shaft is garbage. I have had mine since last fall and broke 2. I now use behind the elbow plugger.
3. It is a wrist breaker, as our fresh water lakes the bobby pins don’t corrode so i had to mess with the delay and swing speed
4. the beaches I hunt have been pounded to death with excals, modded excals, NOX, and every other detector. There is little erosion on these little lakes just renourishment. Without a doubt my best/deepest golds have been with the TDI
5. If you are new to the hobby and this is your first machine in freshwater u will quit the hobby.

Attachments

• 4B61DBD9-5720-4CFD-9B0E-6DAB884CCF3E.jpg
    4B61DBD9-5720-4CFD-9B0E-6DAB884CCF3E.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 37E6E7CB-2758-44C7-B8F9-0C7C9F23E2FC.jpg
    37E6E7CB-2758-44C7-B8F9-0C7C9F23E2FC.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 481
  • D5704E4A-E4BE-448F-9ABC-11D661973FB2.jpg
    D5704E4A-E4BE-448F-9ABC-11D661973FB2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 479
the rings above were with the upgraded battery, i got this triple last fall with the AA’s

Attachments

• 9809D994-9FE7-44EE-BCAE-11F63AB0871D.jpg
    9809D994-9FE7-44EE-BCAE-11F63AB0871D.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 749
Is it a physical issue or electronic one?
If physical, try placing an o-ring under the knob....
(Never seen a TDI in person)

Is it a physical issue or electronic one?
If physical, try placing an o-ring under the knob....
(Never seen a TDI in person)

Not sure that is going to work. Especially when 0.1mm turn of the knob is the difference between getting your ears blown off or not being able to hear a thing.
They sure buggered up the threshold knob volume settings

Can you even get at the insides to try a mod on the pot? It may benefit by replacing with a different taper (log or linear). Or you could try adding a resistor to one or each end to have better adjustability. Maybe the threshold varies with battery voltage. If so, a lipoly battery is more voltage stable until it dies out.

Our beaches here in MN have all been PP hunted for many years with Excals. My TDI is modded with 4 3.7V LiIon cells boosting the voltage to 14.8 The difference between the TDI and the Excal is quite obvious if you are a seasoned Excal hunter. Note:I only hunt in the water here in MN. Never dry sand.

I think the biggest difference is that the TDI loves low conductors. It picks up low conductors that the Excal misses. I could go to a pounded beach and come home with mostly gold rings and nickels in my finds bag.

Another thing that becomes obvious is that the TDI does not pick up high conductors as well as the Excal. My buddy Justin and I would hunt a beach with our TDIs and leave several silver dimes in our piles. We found this out when we heard about others finding silver coins 'right on top' next to our holes. Justin now floats his Excal on a tube next to him so he can check for high conductors he missed with his TDI.

The initial gold bonanza that came with using our TDIs faded quickly, however. Each beach gave up several gold rings initially, but it is tough hunting again now and, like with the Excal, we are looking for very faint threshold whispers again.

Our beaches here in MN have all been PP hunted for many years with Excals. My TDI is modded with 4 3.7V LiIon cells boosting the voltage to 14.8 The difference between the TDI and the Excal is quite obvious if you are a seasoned Excal hunter. Note:I only hunt in the water here in MN. Never dry sand.

I think the biggest difference is that the TDI loves low conductors. It picks up low conductors that the Excal misses. I could go to a pounded beach and come home with mostly gold rings and nickels in my finds bag.

Another thing that becomes obvious is that the TDI does not pick up high conductors as well as the Excal. My buddy Justin and I would hunt a beach with our TDIs and leave several silver dimes in our piles. We found this out when we heard about others finding silver coins 'right on top' next to our holes. Justin now floats his Excal on a tube next to him so he can check for high conductors he missed with his TDI.

The initial gold bonanza that came with using our TDIs faded quickly, however. Each beach gave up several gold rings initially, but it is tough hunting again now and, like with the Excal, we are looking for very faint threshold whispers again.
PI (any) can skip silver if ... the settings are arranged so that the decline has already decayed to the analysis zone ...
Excal has a different principle... , & VLF different principle...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom