New merc made of gold

DougF

Elite Member
Later this month the US mint will be issuing a 1/10 oz. gold coin using the design of the "Mercury" dime. It will be slightly smaller than a silver merc. They are also issuing gold versions of the SLQ and the Walking Liberty half. They will be 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. See the US mint website for details.

Not surprised!! The Mint has found that reproducing older designs in "collectible" coinage is very profitable. The premium above bullion value is getting ridiculous. You are better off buying bullion from other companies. You can get a Mercury one ounce Bullion coin for about $25.:yes:

Not surprised!! The Mint has found that reproducing older designs in "collectible" coinage is very profitable. The premium above bullion value is getting ridiculous. You are better off buying bullion from other companies. You can get a Mercury one ounce Bullion coin for about $25.:yes:
Shop around, you can easily buy that mercury design from one of the major metals houses for a reasonable $17.50, or about $1.50 over spot.

https://www.providentmetals.com/mercury-dime-1-oz-999-fine-silver-bullion-round-19556.html

Later this month the US mint will be issuing a 1/10 oz. gold coin using the design of the "Mercury" dime. It will be slightly smaller than a silver merc. They are also issuing gold versions of the SLQ and the Walking Liberty half. They will be 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. See the US mint website for details.
It's about time! Can't wait - kind of tired of the same 'ol AGE, ASE and gold buffalo as the only retro designs the mint has had for 30 years.

Yeah? That would make a nice collection...the Big Buff 1oz, then the Walker and the SLQ and the Merc...or a tube of each maybe right? Lookout clad!
Mud

Be a lot easier selling a graded one. The loose ones people are scared they are fake and such. Plus by the time they drag it across a stone and acid test it's worth a lot less.

I'm going to my first 'Coin Club' meeting tonight...they call themselves 'Numistmatists'...I have no idea what to expect! I imagine its a bunch of old drunken pirates sitting around playing with each others pennies!...But I'm going out of curiosity none the less...

I might try to sell some of my stuff to these old scoundrels even!...for a bit over spot of course! :laughing: It will be an adventure and make for a good post I reckon...I think I might learn something maybe...I dont think any of them detect...so WTH? Open mind here!
Mud

I'm going to my first 'Coin Club' meeting tonight...they call themselves 'Numistmatists'...I have no idea what to expect! I imagine its a bunch of old drunken pirates sitting around playing with each others pennies!...But I'm going out of curiosity none the less...

I might try to sell some of my stuff to these old scoundrels even!...for a bit over spot of course! :laughing: It will be an adventure and make for a good post I reckon...I think I might learn something maybe...I dont think any of them detect...so WTH? Open mind here!
Mud

Seems you made up your mind already.

Be a lot easier selling a graded one. The loose ones people are scared they are fake and such. Plus by the time they drag it across a stone and acid test it's worth a lot less.
And lately, we have to worry about the slabs being counterfeited. They are even fooling experienced dealers.

It's about time! Can't wait - kind of tired of the same 'ol AGE, ASE and gold buffalo as the only retro designs the mint has had for 30 years.

Thats why I like to mix my stuff up from around the world, silver animals like lunar, predators, koala, panda, elephant, kiwi, etc.....better then a few rolls of eagles, boring.

Shop around, you can easily buy that mercury design from one of the major metals houses for a reasonable $17.50, or about $1.50 over spot.

https://www.providentmetals.com/mercury-dime-1-oz-999-fine-silver-bullion-round-19556.html

that is a silver round. not even CLOSE to the mint produced gold version.

However, I agree the premium the mint charges is ridiculous.

and if you really want one, go buy a real silver mercury dime. they are much cheaper then the rounds.

Back
Top Bottom