Constellatio Nova

Swing-a-ling

I posted this find late last year, and got a lot of "ooh"s and "aah"s. Apparently it's on a lot of bucket lists...
I am keeping it, but I have a question about value. Some people I showed it to think it's pretty much worthless.
Any ideas on what the ballpark is on this coin?

I believe it to be a "Crosby 3-B" variety, ca. 1785.

Last edited:
Doesn't really help too much with value, but great read. thank you, Pappy Griff.

I don't know if this is true value, or auction estimate, or what, but on this link, I found this.....

You have this one, by the looks of it.... "1785 Nova Constellatio Copper, Pointed Rays, Large Date"

http://coinauctionshelp.com/novaconstellatiocoppers_1783-1785.html#.VLWZQWBOW70

Date Description Grade Value

1783 Constellatio, Pointed Rays, Sm U.S VG $110

1783 Constellatio, Pointed Rays, Lg U.S VG $120

1783 Constellatio, Blunt Rays VG $120

1785 Constellatio, Blunt Rays VG $110

1785 Constellatio, Small, Closed Date VG $375

1785 Constellatio, Small Date VG ------

Thanks, Vermonster, those links help. I think I can look at it this way, it's worth at least $100. I'd guess this one is in 'Good' condition. That site says they sold for just over $100.
That should shut up my local naysayers. :D

Thanks, Hoser... Finding it was a fluke... Right in my "fished-out" back yard, and first signal I dug that day!

I'm definitely hanging onto it... I love it!

I am actually going to make a mount for it so I can display it either on my mantle or on a shelf. :D

Yours is a blunt ray script US, right? Were you able to figure out the Crosby ID?

Never mind... Yours, being a blunt-ray, large script 1785, has to be a Crosby 1-B. Rarer than mine! Nice.

Go under coin world , I subscribe to the magazine. I see them all the time, last one was a around $1,075.00 not sure of condition.
also look:
Nova Constellatio coppers are listed in A Guide Book of United States Coins under “Speculative Issues, Tokens, and Patterns.”

Thank you, Patriot1776, for turning me on to Coin World... A lot of good reading there! :D

It is definitely a 3-B, no question. It is so hard to put a value on it, but what a great find!

Thanks, l.cutler. :-)
As long as I can say "yes, it's valuable", it's priceless to me. Going to be something I hand down to my kids (when they're responsible enough, lol).

Yours is in much better shape than mine and I won't take less tha $10 image.jpg

Thank you, Ogann!

Wom 27, were you able to figure out which die set was used on yours? If not, I can help... It might be a rare one, in which case it'd still be worth a decent chunk o change...

Back
Top Bottom