When It Was A Game

CoiltoSoil

Elite Member
I love this series, baseball and life seemed better back then haha Even with all the depression and war my grandpop always seemed to enjoy growing up in that era, I would have liked to spend some time back then.

I grew up in a family that believed Baseball was "THE" game. You had the same players on the same team year after year. There was a Bond between players and their teams. With so much money offered to a player to move to another team, that bond no longer exists. They have to go with the money. So "THE" Game no longer is a game but purely a business. I stopped watching any Baseball when they all went on strike many years back, and the season was cancelled. My father who is 80 yrs. old and was a die hard baseball fan has given up watching the games also. Many of my cousins and other family that have passed over the years also gave up on baseball. I once had Baseball cards dating back to the 30's from Uncles and other family members that passed them down to me. Meaningless now days.

I grew up in a family that believed Baseball was "THE" game. You had the same players on the same team year after year. There was a Bond between players and their teams. With so much money offered to a player to move to another team, that bond no longer exists. They have to go with the money. So "THE" Game no longer is a game but purely a business. I stopped watching any Baseball when they all went on strike many years back, and the season was cancelled. My father who is 80 yrs. old and was a die hard baseball fan has given up watching the games also. Many of my cousins and other family that have passed over the years also gave up on baseball. I once had Baseball cards dating back to the 30's from Uncles and other family members that passed them down to me. Meaningless now days.

Yeah they seemed more down to earth, my dad worked at a bar across from Connie Mack stadium as a kid doing dishes and cooking in the 60's and he said players would come in all the time and eat and drink with the crowd, this was a normal corner bar in the city, not a fancy club or anything. My grandpop said a lot of the players on the Phillies in the 30's and 40's worked 2nd jobs in the area. Now they all seem like royalty, good luck trying to have a conversation or see them amongst us common folks. I know some players were like that back then but it wasn't the norm like it is today.

I remember one quote from the year they went on strike, someone said that they used to play the game they love for money. Now they play the game for the money they love...

Back
Top Bottom