Went to a cool place to do some work

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I told my boss if there was ever any time that he needed someone to go on the road to do repair work I would be interested. Me and another technician was called in the boss's office Thursday morning and he said that one of us was going on a road trip & left it up to us to decide who would go. I have done more repair work and have never gone out on a job so we figured it would be best if I went. I was to leave work Thursday morning, be on the road and get to the hotel Thursday night and be on the job Friday morning and head back Friday after the repairs were done. The job was at West Point Military Academy, they bought lights that we make at the factory where I work for their hockey arena and their basketball court, Tate Arena and Christl Arena. It was a long drive but a good experience & the extra $$$ will be nice. It was really something to see, very nice. The lights that you see in the pictures are not ours the picture was taken before ours were installed.

Attachments

• westpoint-020.jpg
    westpoint-020.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Christl_Arena_2015_2074.jpg
    Christl_Arena_2015_2074.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 40e58217e9b3cba9030f533b53631453.jpg
    40e58217e9b3cba9030f533b53631453.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 196
Do you make the fixtures, ballasts or bulbs? (or all of the above). Bulbs like HID's seem pretty cool to me with the different glass parts and gasses in them. There is some electrical mad scientist guy on youtube named photonicinduction that has some cool videos where he plays around with some HUGE light bulbs.

I bet that was a lot of work changing all those lights!

Do you make the fixtures, ballasts or bulbs? (or all of the above). Bulbs like HID's seem pretty cool to me with the different glass parts and gasses in them. There is some electrical mad scientist guy on youtube named photonicinduction that has some cool videos where he plays around with some HUGE light bulbs.

I bet that was a lot of work changing all those lights!
I work at Ansen Corporation http://www.ansencorp.com/ We make led lights for a company called Ephesus http://ephesuslighting.com/ There are a number of neat places that have our lights, last Super Bowl, Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, (hockey), etc......

Glad you got to take a little trip . Been wondering how you've been doing ? Now that I know your job expertise , I've got a question for you . I've been wanting to make some flounder gigging lights for my boat, and can't find anyone to help me out with the electrics on them . I'm wanting to use some led's , they need to be 12 volt , they need to be bright , submersible , and need them to use as little electricity as possible . I'm hoping I can make them myself and save some money , I guess I'm just cheap . :lol: I can probably do the rods and all , just need to know the best lights to use and where to get them . Thanks for any help you could give me .

Glad you got to take a little trip . Been wondering how you've been doing ? Now that I know your job expertise , I've got a question for you . I've been wanting to make some flounder gigging lights for my boat, and can't find anyone to help me out with the electrics on them . I'm wanting to use some led's , they need to be 12 volt , they need to be bright , submersible , and need them to use as little electricity as possible . I'm hoping I can make them myself and save some money , I guess I'm just cheap . :lol: I can probably do the rods and all , just need to know the best lights to use and where to get them . Thanks for any help you could give me .
I showed this post to my boss he is an electrical engineer from south Florida. He said there are so many different options and peoples thoughts about what color leds work best for which kinds of fish, spot beam or more of a spread, etc.... The leds need to be in a water tight enclosure. He said the best advice he can give is to google what you are wanting to do. Good luck.

Ski, good to hear you're doing well and gad to hear you're keeping busy, cool side trip too!
hawgdawg, check for car led replacement bulbs (blinkers, tailights, etc), all 12v stuff and led's are popular enough you can get different colors...

Thanks Ski , and Zee ,,,I'll try and do a little more research , I think it may be the not knowing what would the correct Lumen led to use . Some of those things get pretty pricey . I also never thought about the different colors idea . Thanks for the replies , I'll do my research .

I work at Ansen Corporation http://www.ansencorp.com/ We make led lights for a company called Ephesus http://ephesuslighting.com/ There are a number of neat places that have our lights, last Super Bowl, Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, (hockey), etc......

I just looked up the Ansen website. My dad had a friend who did A LOT of soldering on PCB's many many years ago working on mainframes and other electronics. Because of this he contracted some form of cancer similar to mesothelioma. I guess back then they didn't bother with things such as fume extractors or face masks.

I've got Cree LEDs in my reverse lights and they're REALLY bright. I used to have LED headlamp bulbs, but the housings just scattered the light everywhere and blinded on coming traffic, so I switched the to HID projectors.

It's pretty amazing how quickly LED's have advanced over the years.

I just looked up the Ansen website. My dad had a friend who did A LOT of soldering on PCB's many many years ago working on mainframes and other electronics. Because of this he contracted some form of cancer similar to mesothelioma. I guess back then they didn't bother with things such as fume extractors or face masks.

I've got Cree LEDs in my reverse lights and they're REALLY bright. I used to have LED headlamp bulbs, but the housings just scattered the light everywhere and blinded on coming traffic, so I switched the to HID projectors.

It's pretty amazing how quickly LED's have advanced over the years.
I don't do alot of soldering, I think they mostly use lead free solder which I believe would be safer than solder with lead. We have different lenses that we can put over the leds that spreads the light beam so to speak in different directions.

Back
Top Bottom