Vulcan takes to the air

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
A lot of people have been waiting a long time for this.

Vulcan bomber returns to the sky

A Vulcan bomber has flown again after years of restoration work by engineers in Leicestershire.

It last flew 14 years ago after a 33-year career in the RAF, including service in the Falklands War.

BBC News

I believe the plan is, for the Vulcan to fly on the airshow circuit for 10-15 years, then to go on permanent static display at Duxford.

When I was in England I was fortunate to see a Vulcan fly at an airshow. It was huge and beautiful. The B-52's got nuthin' on a Vulcan! ;)

I recently read a book "Vulcan 607", all about the work involved in bombing the runway at Port Stanley, during the 80's Falklands conflict.

The remaining Vulcans still in service, all had their refueling probes removed some years previously. This meant scouting around to find some, including going to several museums (including one in the US) and taking probes from the exhibits.

It's taken three years to come down to Southend, but it was well worth the
wait. There were a few moist eyes when it appeared.

This is now flying purely through public donations and sponsorship.

v3.jpg

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

I have always loved the delta wing aircraft, even seeing several vulcans taking off from Myrtle Beach SC back in 1970. Beautiful in flight.

I saw a Vulcan at the Abbotsford B C Airshow in the 1980s. It was a wonderful piece of art! So graceful for something so large. Also, at the show was an F 104 Starfighter that tore up the sky. Great airshow!

I seem to remember an early James Bond movie that had a British bomber in it. They ditched it in the Caribbean and stole the atomic bombs from it. I seem to remember lots of sharks and scuba/spear gun fighting. Was that supposed to be a Vulcan?..........RK

Back
Top Bottom