u.s. postal lock

IowaChris

I found this old lock this year. I can't get the other pic to load, but it has a glass window in the side with a count of how many times it was locked. When I dug it, the lock was open, and I wiggled it to see if it was seized up and it snapped right shut! Doh!! Any idea when they stopped using these? Looks like they go for $30-50 on ebay. Does that sound about right?

Attachments

• 20141126_154430.jpg
    20141126_154430.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 383
If you look at completed listings, one without keys sold for 21.00 and one with keys sold for 50.00.

I am guessing yours is in the 21.00 range. A much older one sold for over 300.00.

I took the lock into the post office yesterday morning, thinking an employee may be a bit of a history buff and could tell me a little about it, maybe even have a spare key. They said they actually still use a nearly identical lock today for registered mail, and showed me one. The only difference I could see is their brass lock was so shiny it looked like gold. They said they could unlock mine but couldn't give me a key, as it was a master key. He was able to get the key in the lock but couldn't get it open. I hadn't put much effort into cleaning it so there was probably still a lot of dirt wedged in it.

Nice lock! Too bad that they couldn't open it. Glad that they let you keep it, instead of seizing it as Govt Property.

Wow. That lock is really awesome! Also really neat that they still use one very similar today.

Back
Top Bottom