Private health insurance?

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
Does anyone know if it's possible for my employer to purchase private health insurance for me? Like Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Regence, etc. etc. They claim it's not possible and here lately I've been feeling like they are jerking me around on a number of things so I'm looking for answers myself. I tried to google this question and didn't find a direct answer :?: Thanks all ;)

Does the company offer insurance to everyone else?

Our insurance here at work is based on a 'Group' plan, which has an enrollment period.

But to me private insurance sounds as though you're not enrolled in the group plan and want individual insurance to be paid for outside of a group plan. This, I do not think they are required to do. But they may be required to offer some sort of insurance to you depending on your state laws... but enrollment period may apply.

What state are you in and who do you work for?

My employer is looking at this option because he was told that our group insurance costs will be increasing 91% over the current plan with no change to benefits.

Currently he pays 1/2 of each employee's insurance costs and intends to continue to do so - no matter what type of insurance we wind up with -he's still shopping for the best possible solution.

Have the best

Where I work it's just the 2 owners,(husband and wife) I am the only employee. I'm an ASE certified master auto tech. They have obamacare and that was the only option my she ever gave me.........well......I went to work yesterday to talk about this subject and she (owner) proceeded to tell me how she had adjusted the free play in a brake master cyl. in a car that I told her did not need to be adjusted based off of something someone told her over a phone convo. She is NOT a technician and 3 days ago didn't know a front diff. from a transfer case and she snuck in behind me messing with my work...........I LOST IT!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Long story short.....I got the day off yesterday,(to cool off) a $5 an hr. raise and they are gonna pay 2/3 of the insurance of my choice. Wonder if she messed with anything while I was off yesterday? :?: :lol: Thanks for the replies all ;)

That's scary sh%t because I have had some people do that kind of stuff behind my back that didn't end good, and then they tried to blame me. Now, it wasn't messing with someone's brake master cyl. or brake booster, but that's not cool!

Good job for standing up for yourself! LOL Hope it works out in the end.

In a small company like that sometimes you can find your own plan and have them give you whatever percent they are willing to pay towards it (this way you can pick your own). I had a top of the line personal plan, a Blue Cross PPO which cost me about $200 a month through a professional group plan, god only knows what it cost now, but I need to buy something new as I've been without it for some time due to rising cost. This new health insurance system seems to be hurting everyone, well mostly working people, the cost have gone up on every plan (not down like we were promised) so I'm not really sure how this was intended to help us, I think it was more to get us to pay for people who don't pay their medical bills.

I work in the health insurance industry and most recently worked with a lot of enrollees in Obama care plans. If you are not enrolled in group insurance, then you can probably get your own plan and your company should be able to reimburse you. That's about all you could do if your employer won't enroll you in a group. Which by the way they have to provide group policies for their employees either way or the government fines them. So what it comes down to is one way or the other they have give you insurance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I work in the health insurance industry and most recently worked with a lot of enrollees in Obama care plans. If you are not enrolled in group insurance, then you can probably get your own plan and your company should be able to reimburse you. That's about all you could do if your employer won't enroll you in a group. Which by the way they have to provide group policies for their employees either way or the government fines them. So what it comes down to is one way or the other they have give you insurance.

Doesn't the business have to employ a certain minimal number, to fall under that mandate? The reality is, that we are all enrolled in ObamaCare plans, since it sets a minimal standard for compliance with the mandate. Doesn't matter if you signed up with the exchanges or got your insurance on your own.

I've heard that by accepting a raise it could cost you more for insurance by having a lower subsidy,thus leaving you in worse financial shape than if you would have refused the raise. Have you seen this?

I've heard that by accepting a raise it could cost you more for insurance by having a lower subsidy,thus leaving you in worse financial shape than if you would have refused the raise. Have you seen this?

Isn't the subsidy there to help people who don't earn enough to pay for insurance. You get a raise, you should need as much help, or the subsidy. I would hope people would want to get off the public assistance, so the rest of us don't have to pay for it. If you don't really need it, you shouldn't be getting it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't need it, but technically qualify, and since it's free money...

Isn't the subsidy there to help people who don't earn enough to pay for insurance. You get a raise, you should need as much help, or the subsidy. I would hope people would want to get off the public assistance, so the rest of us don't have to pay for it. If you don't really need it, you shouldn't be getting it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't need it, but technically qualify, and since it's free money...

Agree with the first part of your post. As far as the last part I think it's more of people needing it but do not qualify for enough subsidy because of their income. I was hoping shedigz could tell us if she's seen instances of where a person gets a raise ,thus lowering their subsidy putting them in a worse financial condition.

Boy that would leave pi** in my oatmeal if I just got a $5 an hr raise an screwed myself. :facepalm: I don't want Obamacare. The point I made to my boss was this....If I'm paying $100 a month and have a $5000 deductible plus whatever else is in the fine print that I DONT know about.....basically the way I see it the insurance is only good if you are dying or something. I go to the Dr. once a year, if that. 5K deductible? C'mon!

Boy that would leave pi** in my oatmeal if I just got a $5 an hr raise an screwed myself. :facepalm: I don't want Obamacare. The point I made to my boss was this....If I'm paying $100 a month and have a $5000 deductible plus whatever else is in the fine print that I DONT know about.....basically the way I see it the insurance is only good if you are dying or something. I go to the Dr. once a year, if that. 5K deductible? C'mon!

You will probably be paying $400 a month with a $8,000 deductible, for basically catastrophic injury only insurance.

To pay for the subsidies of others of course.

On the point of insurance I would suggest you get the actual numbers on what your take home would be making a certain amount versus making a higher amount. If you accept a raise you may actually have less take home pay when figured on a weekly,monthly or yearly basis.

Back
Top Bottom