Taking a state profession exam.

notdapolice

I will be going to Springfield Illinois May 28 to take and PASS my Illinois Roofing Contractors Exam to become a licenses roofing contractor in the state of illinois. Test is 75 questions on the "How to's" of roofing Steep-Low slope,Metal, Wood Shake and Slate and tile roofs and OFC OSHA employee safety. I have heard that most who take the exam fail the first time even the guys with 30 years experience. I have been in and around the roofing trade for 20 years and been actually performing the work for about 9 now. I have been studying and taking notes for about a month now along with my in the field exp. and am hoping that im prepared enough to pass. I have been pondering the idea of starting my own company for about 2 years now and have decided that im not getting any younger(roofing is a young mans game really) and im sick of only making part of the money involved in the roofing trade while doing all the work. I figured i would get up early on the day of the exam and eat a good breakfast. Then i would maybe take a jog around the block get the heart flowing. Then come home and play a few games of scrabble to exercise my mind a little bit and head out for the exam :laughing: ^ My girlfriend was believing me until i said i was gonna "exercise my brain with a few games of scrabble". Anyway i was just posting cause its getting closer to the date and im a little bit nervous about the whole thing but its gonna be what its gonna be. If i fail I can just pay the state of illinois another 219 dollars and retake it. Fingers crossed i pass it the first time around and can start making my and my family's life a lil bit easier financially wise. Well ill be off to work here in about an hour(had some rain this morning slowing us down) just figured i would share a bit of non metal detecting information about whats going on in my world. All you guys have a good day and stay dry.

Having taken 4 state exams for my profession, I've found that there is usually information out there from others who have taken the exam on what types of questions asked. Not suggesting anything underhanded. It may allay concerns you have and help focus on areas covered. Usually state tests are different every time. I'm sure you'll pass!
Good luck on starting your own business!

Thanks guys. All i need is a 70% to pass but im shooting for a 100%. The test i will be going to take is the residential exam only and is suppose to be the easiest of the three roofing exams. I dont plan on doing commercial or industrial work. The residential allows me to roof anything with 8 units or less and thats perfect for the type of work i want to perform. I have did almost every type of roofing out there but i really just want to stick with asphalt singles and BUR's. I was told the test is kinda broke down into sections asphalt being a section, BUR's being a section followed by the other types of roofs in their own section. The test is graded on a overall grade and i was told if i fail one section then i failed the whole test. Nobody really wants to give out any real info from what i have seen and thats fine, its only 75 questions how hard can it really be. I will just go give it my best shot and hope for the best. Thanks again for the support fellas much appreciated. You guys take care.

Good luck , I took my General Contractors test around 2005 , for much the same reasons , I was working for contractors that didn't have a clue how to start putting on an addition , much less take a roof off and put on a second story addition . So I figured I'd get my GC license and make all that money .:laughing: Well the jokes on me . I'm putting in more hours now than I ever did working by the hour , or just being the subcontractor . If I was to break it down to what my hourly rate is , I might just quit . And then finding good people to do the work , good luck with that to . But all in all , its not to bad , if I wasn't putting in all these hours 7 days a week , I would probably just be wasting my time fishing , dirt fishing , hunting or running the roads on my Harley . Who really needs to be doing all that ? :lol: But at least you're making a move to try and better yourself , I've made money on every roof I ever did , theres money in roofing , and its pretty easy to bid them also . In fact I've got 3 roofs I'm contracting out next week .
Well good luck on your test , and like a guy told me when I took my test , He said , " What's the difference between a doctor that makes a 100 on his doctors exam and a doctor that makes a 70 on the exam ? Nothing , your still gonna call him Doctor .
Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom