What Do You Do with Canadian Coins?

Cortland

Forum Supporter
Don't know why, but lately I've been finding an unusual number of pennies, and dimes from Canada. I've just let them stack up. How do you dispose of them? Tollway fares? Do they get spit out by Coinstar machines? :money:

There are a lot of Canadian " Snowbirds " down here, so no problem getting rid of those. I did sell old Canadian coins on E Bay.

I always get a lots of Canadian coins in change. I put them in a large jar. Many Canadians come to Michigan to visit. I often see vehicles with Ontario license plates on roads in my hometown.

I spend em anywhere that I can, walmart, gas stations etc.....I just mix em in with regular US change and no one bats an eye

Canadian quarters and dimes 1968 (part of 68) and earlier are 80% silver. Go back even further and they had silver nickels and some .925 silver quarters and dimes.

Don't know why, but lately I've been finding an unusual number of pennies, and dimes from Canada. I've just let them stack up. How do you dispose of them? Tollway fares? Do they get spit out by Coinstar machines? :money:

Spend them where you can. Shouldn't even be an issue.

Keep 'em!
IMG_0061.jpg
[/IMG]

I haven't found any detecting yet, but since we are about 120 miles from the border here I have gotten some in my change over the years and some are fairly old. Have a few 30's 40's and 50's pennies in my small collection. I keep em.

Door stop. Someday. I only have 16 Canadian coins. If I continue to collect them, they are just collecting in a jar at this point. I have no plans for them in the near future.

Most current Canadian coins are nickel and are magnetic. I think cents are copper plated steel. This is convenient since they can be separated from US coins with a magnet. Coinstar will reject them. I would save them for when you take a trip to Canada.

Given the two currencies are often close to par more and more American businesses will probably start to accept them. Many places in Canada do, but they had a huge head start because there has always been something to gain in years gone by.

Here in Canada we use them all the time! I have actually been finding a fair number of yankee pennies and quarters, too bad the exchange has dipped below in favour of you americans :P I would gladly trade any canadian for american, just send them my way! HAHAHA

Here in Canada we use them all the time! I have actually been finding a fair number of yankee pennies and quarters, too bad the exchange has dipped below in favour of you americans :P I would gladly trade any canadian for american, just send them my way! HAHAHA

I'm not sure how we would explain ourselves to the border guards watching us exchange sacks of money! :keeporder:

Some Canadian snowbird lost his stash around the corner from my FL home.

9 Canada silver all found detecting within 1 months time in the same mile long stretch.

S3010121.jpg

5538004674_84af9c6754_z.jpg

S3010107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom